seanpistol's 01 Tundra

ExpoScout

Explorer
Looks great! I might have to look into that bumper if I don't end up making my own. Not many of the 1st gen tundra bumpers really do much for me, but that one is nice.

seanpistol

Explorer
Rack is done! Going to paint it tomorrow. Hopefully after work this week- get the bumper on, winch wired up, install a new battery, and swap the coils on the coilovers. Going to Moab this weekend to play.

The tent is not bolted down in these photos- should sit a little more flush than what ya see

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice. Looks comfy. My buddy used the factory tire system and bolted to the bottom of his rack and hung the spare under the bed rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
I thought about doing something like that, but thought that would block my view more than I like and I don't forsee needing the entire bed space.

rickashay

Explorer
Rack looks awesome Sean! Very nice welds.

Do you notice the bedsides spreading at all, or is that a concern you might have? It's one thing I've been thinking about - how well will the bedsides support the weight (especially rearward)? I've heard of Tacoma bedsides spreading apart but I'm sure there are some circumstances there. Just wondering if you noticed them move at all with the rack and tent on there.

seanpistol

Explorer
Haven't noticed anything yet, but I've heard the same and will keep an eye on them. My roommate has an 07 Tacoma and made a comment about how much beefier my bed rails are- hopefully that's the case.

tyv12

Adventurer
I ran for 3 years with my rtt on rails in the holes on the bedsides, no problems at all definately heavier duty than a taco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
your PM is full but here is the message I was gonna send. let me know if you need more help.

Im not at my truck but the two on the left are side plates to the frame. not at my truck right now but you can see it at the bottom right in this picture
the one of the right is to relocate/push the condenser line away from body. just below the hood latch. can get pictures of this later if you cant figure it out

1509942_10203313141940628_7107622366725308610_n.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
haha sorry, it wasnt the condenser line. doesnt help when your not at the truck. anyways it just keeps the power steering cooler tube away from the body. I pretty sure its the PS line. truck is parked up against the garage and didnt feel like backing it up. I will if these pictures dont help. LMK
Iphone poor flash pictures ;(

11009205_10203998514834522_1449493457631855779_n.jpg

22393_10203998514994526_15000504288389332_n.jpg

amgvr4

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about your bedsides flexing out at all. Your rack is stronger than your bed and if anything will keep them from bowing not causing it. That is more a problem for guys running Thule and Yakima racks that are not a structural member like your rack is. I bet it doesn't even know the tent is there at all! Have you tried to put your spring rods into the front window awning? I had to shift my tent back even with the tailgate so I could keep the cab from interfering with the spring rods when deployed.

Oh and BTW, my neighbor works on trucks for a local car lot and he has a super clean white 97 OBS F350 crew cab 4x4 powerstroke five speed he is going over right now. Just to tease you a little! Lol!

seanpistol

Explorer
I haven't put the rods in, but that's a good point! I'll check it out before I bolt it to the bed.

That powerstroke is a nice tease! Love the OBS, the ZF5, the D60, and the 7.3

One of my good buddies has a 2wd van set up for living in with all the amenities and wants to get a 4x4 platform to start a new build. We are gonna go check out a 7.3IDI regular cab f-350 dually flatbed. D60, zf5, and someone selling an ATS turbo kit for cheap locally... I'd be excited to help him wrench on that! Seeing as how I had a 90 IDI f250 myself and miss it! (here's a photo for nostalgia)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL