seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Pulled the trigger on the kit with the hardware. Thanks guys.

How about an inverter recommendation?

Battery recommendation?

The battery in the living quarters of my Dad's horse trailer is charged using the truck's alternator through the 7-pin trailer connection. That has me wondering if I can integrate something similar. I don't want to rely on it, but as a backup.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
As far as batteries go. I been told to use two 6v batteries normally found in golf carts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
I think some of those LED lighting strips would be ideal.

Anyone have any input on the battery/solar setup? Can a one or two battery setup with a solar trickle charger be enough for powering LED lights, charging accessories, and running a fridge? I'd like to keep the camper electricity separate from the truck power.

I had two 50W panels like this from Amazon and they helped but wouldn't maintain the fridge in temps above 80°. At Lake Mohave in temps of 100°+ I still had to start the truck daily. But I do have the 82qt ARB.

spazstic

Lives for the weekend

Nice, looks good. A lot like my rack. I remove it after trips because I am always using the bed. I can take the tent off, kinda flip/roll it onto the tailgate, then to the ground. Then take the rack off. Same process in reverse for putting it back on. Allows me to do it by myself and it's actually really easy. Especially with a small cordless impact driver.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I had two 50W panels like this from Amazon and they helped but wouldn't maintain the fridge in temps above 80°. At Lake Mohave in temps of 100°+ I still had to start the truck daily. But I do have the 82qt ARB.

Really? I was able to leave my tundra parked for two days in Mojave desert well over 100 degree weather. Maybe I had more sun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Battery recommendation?

The battery in the living quarters of my Dad's horse trailer is charged using the truck's alternator through the 7-pin trailer connection. That has me wondering if I can integrate something similar. I don't want to rely on it, but as a backup.

Optima Yellowtop

Yes, you can easily integrate truck power. I just like to keep completely separate systems. Blue Sea seems to have the components of choice if you want to integrate truck power.

seanpistol

Explorer
Jose, what size fridge do you have? 82qt is massive. I've been reading into the Indel B all day. I think the smallest one could work for me.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Jose, what size fridge do you have? 82qt is massive. I've been reading into the Indel B all day. I think the smallest one could work for me.

I have a 48qt whynter. Picked it up from Home Depot for ~$440.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Does anyone use a battery monitor with their solar setup like this one?

https://www.altestore.com/store/meters-communications-site-analysis/meters-battery-monitors/ammeters-voltmeters-battery-monitors/bogart-engineering-tm-2030rv-f-trimetric-battery-monitor-p11263/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwsO6-BRDRy8bsxfiV2bkBEiQAF8EzKMj0Te6LtgXy2VMtI1zyNIpyYr12Miv_qm5HNsjFZtAaAl7f8P8HAQ

I ordered the inverter you posted, Jose. I could find nothing but good information on it and it seems to be exactly what I need. I'd like to mount it inside a cabinet and have household style outlets on the outside of the cabinet. Figuring how to wire everything is going to be the most difficult part for me-

-Solar panel and controller
-Battery(maybe two?)
-Battery monitor
-Inverter to outlets
-Blue Sea fuse block
-Interior LED lights
-Exterior LED camp lights
-Switches, household style
-Fantastic fan
-Fridge
-Input for the trailer connection to charge the battery using the truck's alternator, as a cloudy day/heavy use backup

Am I forgetting any components here that I need to wire this up? Like a manual switch so the solar panel isn't pumping juice to the battery if it's parked for two months at my house?

Still shopping around for LED lights and the battery monitor. Want to pull the trigger on those today so I have them next week and get them rigged up next weekend after I pick up the camper. The fridge and fantastic fan may wait until I spend some time in the camper.

Last edited:

Reefry

Observer
I'm using a 65 Quart Whynter fridge and it fits in the backseat of my Tundra perfectly. I also ran a single 100w Renogy panel for a few months before learning it doesn't quite make enough juice to power the fridge full time and have enough left over for lights and charging a laptop.

So I added a second 100w panel with two T-105 Trojan batteries and the system ran flawlessly throughout a 3 month long road trip. It kept my fridge cooled even in 100 degree weather with enough power left over to work on my laptop for a good amount of time as well. With the amount of roof space a FWC has I say you should add another panel. And if you want to squeeze a little more potential out of your system ditch the PWM for an MPPT controller.

seanpistol

Explorer
And if you want to squeeze a little more potential out of your system ditch the PWM for an MPPT controller.

Why is that? Which controller are you using?

I'd like to keep the single panel on the roof to allow for more space for toys but could always add a second later on if needed. I have read good things about the two Trojan 105 golf cart batteries in parallel, I'm surprised that wasn't enough for your setup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL