seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you! Just wish he had flares on his. Looks like he didn't remove as much as the AC firewall in other builds?? I thought I'd read the DC had an extra half inch, anyone know if that's true?

I think no matter wether they are double cab or access cab fenders, with flares or not, you can make it work! It's not any bigger of a deal to remove more or less or the firewall, but I'd have the A-arms you are going to stick with and your alignment done before you tub. Otherwise you may end up dealing with rub... do it right the first time!

seanpistol

Explorer
Selling my RTT and bed rack to get a FWC.

I can ship the bed rack on a pallet through Fastenal. 5" rise above height of bedrail. Enough room to fit coolers or storage bins, but low enough to keep the RTT out if the wind. 1.75" HREW and 3/16" angle iron. I listed it locally for $400.

The RTT is local pickup only.

seanpistol

Explorer
Here is my thinking- I love the RTT, but want a few more conveniences- the biggest one is heat. I see extended snowmobile trips to places like Cooke City and Revelstoke in the future. After I return from deployment in February I have a month off of paid leave, so I'll be going somewhere to play. The FWC I am trying to line up right now does not have a built in heater, but I have been reading into the easy install of a Wave 6. My buddy actually put a woodstove in a Palomino Bronco and that option works super well for him.

I have spent quite a few days in the RTT recently, and although it is not a big deal to unpack and repack the camp everyday to move the vehicle, the FWC seems that much easier. For an extended trip to Moab where I want to twist up the truck, I can leave the jacks on the camper and drop it off at my campsite. Also, I have been remodeling my house which means a bedrack and RTT isn't always the most convenient for the amount of Home Depot trips I need to do, but I have been able to make it work. I can't lift the tent and rack off by myself, so I leave it on pretty much all summer.

Camped last week to float the Green River, where I had to unpack and repack the campsite so we could run our own shuttle. I was jealous of the guys with campers. I did manage to pull in this 24" brown on an ant my buddy tied :wings:

AaronK

Explorer
Any suspension upgrades planned to counter the additional weight?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Del Gue

Observer
Here ya go. http://bozeman.craigslist.org/rvs/5775237177.html

I ran an Eagle FWC Shell model that had a full build out done by the previous owner with cabinets and storage. I added Timbrens to eliminate sag when loaded for trips. The Eagle fits really nicely into the first gen access cab Tundras. You just may have to fab up some brackets to give your jacks extra clearence from the fenders because the Eagle sits flush with your bed rails.

Del Gue

Observer
I ran a Wave 3 heater hung from the rear support walls facing the bed. Worked well and directed the heat directly towards the sleeping area. Unlike a furnace, those catalytic heaters are like a flashlight and direct heat where they are pointed. I chose the Wave 3 because it works at altitude (i.e. above 8,000') whereas some of the others won't function that high.

seanpistol

Explorer
I saw that photo around the internet. Nice drift boat!

The wave heaters seem to be the way to go. I don't want to put a furnace in although a thermostat sounds pretty slick! Don't want to just run a Mr. Buddy. I like the radiant heaters that just use propane. The Wave 6 just has a higher BTU output than the Wave 3 and can be mounted horizontally when the Wave 3 can only be mounted vertically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL