seanpistol's 01 Tundra

IS-RIDER

Observer
Looking to upgrade the center console in my Tundra as well, do you have any photos? Did you have to get the newer brackets as well to secure it?

Thanks

My truck is an 02 limited AC and I swapped out the center console to a 06 limited console. It did not bolt right in, I ended up making mounts out of a few 2x4 blocks of wood (sorry no pics). Sounds a little wonky, but its been over 3yrs and its still mounted solid. The 06 console has rear seat cup holders which take away a little leg room in the back. Not an issue for me but figured I'd mention if you taxi people. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Between being out of town for work (St. Croix turning wrenches on a KC-135... not a bad gig!) and working on my house, I haven't bolted the console down yet. I have it sitting in place and have been using it since it doesn't really move around. I am going to tackle bolting it in this weekend.

Tonight I began working on version 2.0 of my bed rack. The CVT is smaller than the Tepui model I had, and I want the tent to sit about 6" lower.

I'm using 3x2x3/16" angle iron and 1.75" HREW. I should have it welded up and painted tomorrow. There are two forward to aft center tubes not shown-

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Why not use a little Wii and mag mount it on the roof.

Center console is nice. I would do the buckets too if I still had back seats lol. Need the center seat if I ever need to sit 3

The lower rack is low!! Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
I've thought about the mag mount. I'm going to try to tune the CB once again after the RTT is 6" lower and see how much it helps in the current position. If it's still not close, which I am kind of anticipating that will be the case, I'm going to make a mount to have it above the drivers side tail light. I would be surprised if it couldn't tune in that location. If not, I'll probably go to the mag mount on the roof because I really don't want it on the hood.

seanpistol

Explorer
Got the rack done. Surprisingly this was one project that was quick and easy and was done in less than half a day. I adjusted the preload on my coilovers on Friday and that turned into a nightmare. The lower bolt was seized inside of the misalignment spacers requiring the bolt be cut off to get the coilover out, the bolt pressed out, and the nick I put through the lower control arm with my cutoff wheel welded back together. Oh, and we sheared the wheel off the top of the strut tamer trying to get enough torque on the 700lb coils to compress them enough to adjust the collar. So I had to run home, grab my welder, and come fix their machine. I welded a socket onto it instead so we could use an impact to crank it down.... Upgrade! The damn coilovers took the entire day.

Strut tamer looks like this-

61Zb4T06ACL._SL1122_.jpg

I have never welded round tube before and thought it was pretty fun!

It's getting too dark for photos but here's a couple quick ones. Couldn't be happier with how it came out-

And once again, the before is 6" higher and too wide for my current tent-

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Looks great!

Yeah, I don't think I've worked at a single shop that we didn't have the strut machine "modded" to use our impact on.

No concerns about getting gear out at the front? It's tough to tell in the pictures how much room you have to reach everything. New rack looks killer though.

seanpistol

Explorer
Replaced my steering rack and tie rods yesterday. Didn't really have time to do it, but after getting quote for $1000 I took half the day off work to get it done. Might as well continue with never taking the truck to a mechanic in the 6 years I've had it. Once again what should have been a simple job turned out to be an 8 hour nightmare. I'd say worse than the timing belt due to seized components and the struggle of lining things up without three or more hands. The first rack lasted 160k miles but I've been babying it along with slow leaks for the last 4 years. Should be good to go for a while.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Looks great!

Yeah, I don't think I've worked at a single shop that we didn't have the strut machine "modded" to use our impact on.

No concerns about getting gear out at the front? It's tough to tell in the pictures how much room you have to reach everything. New rack looks killer though.

Nope, I am able to access things easily! Super happy with it.

I think the socket on the strut tamer was a huge upgrade. They should come like that stock!

seanpistol

Explorer
Yes, it is an OE reman rack. From what I have heard the Safari rack is an Advanced Automotive Engineering (AAE) rack resold with a clever marketing scheme claiming they have better inner bushings than the rest, when in reality they're the same.

My OE reman from the local NAPA has a lifetime warranty- hopefully I never have to touch it again........

06DC

Awesome build! I stumbled onto Richashay's through TS and followed you guys over here. What differences would I run into having a double cab? Saw both of you have removed flares now and I'm quite hesitant on going without them. Can't seem to find a DC on 35's without a major lift, have you guys come across any?

Everyday

Awesome build! I stumbled onto Richashay's through TS and followed you guys over here. What differences would I run into having a double cab? Saw both of you have removed flares now and I'm quite hesitant on going without them. Can't seem to find a DC on 35's without a major lift, have you guys come across any?

check out QuadsBc build thread. He has a double cab and recently fitted 35's on.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...dsBC-s-05-Double-Cab-Tundra-Family-Expo-Build

06DC

Thank you! Just wish he had flares on his. Looks like he didn't remove as much as the AC firewall in other builds?? I thought I'd read the DC had an extra half inch, anyone know if that's true?

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Hey Sean, don't have the time at the moment, but I saw on another forum you might of installed the ORS High Angle CV boots on your vehicle? I blew a inner again even after CV boot mod and was thinking of trying these.

I'll give it a search later for the post if you did.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete