seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
It was a pain in the ***, but not the worst project I've taken on. It took me about 6 hours from start to finish. The tracks on the Tundra seats are about a 3/4" wider and the Subaru feet don't come close to lining up.

I cut the Suby feet off and cleaned up the tracks-

I sliced the bottom of the tundra tracks off-

To get rid of the rivets that hold the Tundra feet, I completed welded the feet onto the track-

Then I bolted the brackets in and set the Suby seat on top-

I adjusted and checked where I wanted the seats dozens of time before I tacked them on. Being tall, my Tundra drivers seat was always adjusted all the way back to drive. I set the Subaru seat so that this position was about in the middle. I can scoot the seat almost all the way back into the rear seat so that I have enough room to take a roadside nap, and can scoot far enough forward to make room for a rear passenger. Since the seats are angled higher up in the front, the majority of the load is on the rear feet. Regardless, because of how I positioned the seat further back, the front of the seat track wasn't over the front feet. I made 3/16" gussets to keep everything beefy.

The inside of the Tundra track is completely welded. The outside is tacked around the slots in the Subaru track as you can see below. Around the feet is completely welded all the way around. Here they are painted and ready to go in-

The Tundra buckle uses a 14mm bolt just like the Subaru buckle, so it bolts right in and retains the seatbelt sensor.

I think you can make any seat fit in anything, it just takes some figuring on how to go about it.

City_Rider

Adventurer
Very clean! My seat rails were close enough that I could fudge them into place with larger holes and a small box to raise it up. Your install is much nicer!

You'll enjoy the bolstered seats - very nice when you're cruising around on trails and not being tossed around in the cab!

seanpistol

Explorer
Doublecab center console en route. Tan with woodgrain and seat heater switches. Found the junkyard through car-part.com, $110 shipped.

cvoggs

Damn.. I just read this entire thread front to back in one night! lol

Sean you've done an amazing job with the truck! You gave me quite a few cool ideas and tons of inspiration!

Towards the end I thought this was gonna end like a typical build thread with you selling the truck! But I'm glad you kept it!
Ill be following this from now on!

tyv12

Adventurer
Hey I've been using a 75 wx st cb this year as well. Very handy but terrible range have you gotten yours working correctly?

GTV

Those look deadly Sean! How painful was the bracket modification required?

I've got a set of power IS300 leather/suede seats in my garage that I have been debating swapping into my Tundra. That or I have a line on some STI seats too. The additional bolstering is probably so awesome.

I used to do auto upholstery, last summer I visited my old boss' shop and decided to add some nice and fairly firm 1/2" foam to the backrest bolsters on my Tundra's drivers seat. Reinstalled the covers and man, what a huge difference that made. I'm sure it's still not comparable to a sports sedan seat, but I like that it looks stock and the price was right (even if you paid a shop to do it, it would still be cheap). Something to consider.

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks to all for the compliments. I'm enjoying the seats everyday. I got the doublecab console intalled and am loving that as well- I'll have to snap a photo soon.

Hey I've been using a 75 wx st cb this year as well. Very handy but terrible range have you gotten yours working correctly?

I haven't relocated the Firestik antenna yet. The CB tuner guy told me that with such high SWRs(because of interference from BOTH the roof and the RTT), if I keyed the mic I could burn up the CB. In Moab I listened to a clear signal the whole trip but didn't key the mic. All the ins and outs of radios are over my head. I got the bracket to relocate my 3' antenna to about halfway down the edge of the hood on the drivers side, which the CB guy guaranteed would get my SWRs in the 1-1.5 range where they need to be. They are currently about 3.5. I have been wondering if after I lower my RTT 6" or so if it would make enough of a difference to keep it where it is but I am skeptical. I'm also wondering if I could move it to the back corner of the bed and have it work properly there, but the CB guy seems to think I'd need a large whip antenna. I'll have to experiment.

tyv12

Adventurer
Had the same swr problem had to go with a 4ft stainless whip on the hood that got my swr down under 2 but the range is still terrible

tronn

Looking to upgrade the center console in my Tundra as well, do you have any photos? Did you have to get the newer brackets as well to secure it?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL