seanpistol's 01 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Same I need more rear lift but don't want to add more spring rate. When are the SFK gonna be for sale and any ideas of prices ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Sean I think you may have your shackle installed in the wrong direction. Eric's directions for the install said to place the "brace" of the factory shackle facing rearwards if I am not mistaken. Either yours is backwards, or mine is! haha

Oh and nice chainsaw. Want.

seanpistol

Explorer
Hmm... I'll have to double check. Since I didn't unbolt the shackle completely, I never touched the lower bolt that attaches it to the leaf springs. Just flipped it up into the new hanger and bolted it in place. Not sure what difference it would make since it doesn't effect the length or angle- is the side with the brace supposed to be stronger?

I spent a pretty penny on the chainsaw, but I'm hoping it's one of those purchases that can last till I'm an old man if I take care of it.

rickashay

Explorer
Hmm... I'll have to double check. Since I didn't unbolt the shackle completely, I never touched the lower bolt that attaches it to the leaf springs. Just flipped it up into the new hanger and bolted it in place. Not sure what difference it would make since it doesn't effect the length or angle- is the side with the brace supposed to be stronger?

I spent a pretty penny on the chainsaw, but I'm hoping it's one of those purchases that can last till I'm an old man if I take care of it.

Yah because the shackle is inverted with the new design, you would have to flip it to make it the same as it was installed in the OEM position. I unbolted mine from the leafs and then flipped it. From the eye, isn't the shackle kind of hooked in one direction over the other? If so it might slightly affect your angle. I would assume the bracing makes it stronger... Eric would be a better guy to ask on the theory there. Hopefully he chimes in.

Yah I bet, those are not cheap units. I've been prodding my wife already that a chainsaw would make a pretty sweet Chistmas/b-day gift next year! haha High hopes... What model is yours?

seanpistol

Explorer
It's the MS 250 with 18" bar. It has a little more horsepower to cut firewood at high altitude, and none of the EPA regulated nonsense on it, haha. I did quite a bit if reasearch and thought it was the best unit for what I want to do with it.

Guess I should have read the insructions more than just getting torque values on the SFK!

seanpistol

Explorer
Finally got my CB rigged up. I used a Panavise first-gen Tundra mount, but moved and bent the bracket to put it where I wanted it. The CB is a Cobra 75wxst that has everything in the mic. The junction box is under the driver's seat, and my 3' Firestick II has to move from the stake hole behind the cab to either the roof with a magnetic mount, the hood, or the front/rear bumper. Where it is currently located I get too much reflection off the metal in the RTT and the cab. The guy that was tuning the antenna told me he couldn't get below 3 or 4 SWRs after trying 5 different antennas of various lengths. I was able to hear the group while in Moab, but was advised not to key the mic until the antenna is moved to the hood and SWRs are down around 1.5 or it's possible to burn up the CB. I have a mount for the hood on the way.

I got my Archive Garage 6" shackles just before Moab. They sure are pretty. Greaseable too!

Close to full droop-

[URL=http://s298.photobucket.com/user/seankaldhusdal/media/B2F51852-7EF4-468B-958B-09690B28693F.jpg.html]

8E07E1CD-B53D-48E0-80B4-AE53AFC8F7F0.jpg
[/URL]

I haven't had 220v power since I bought a house in the fall, but finally changed my adapter to the proper plug to steal it from the dryer. Luckily I have an almost 40' cord on the welder to run it out the window and around the house to the carport!

My 48" hi-lift maxed out while the tires were still planted. The Archive Garage shackle flip kit has increased my droop exponentially. The ride quality is great and I have just a hair more lift. This kit is a win-win-win. Thanks to Eric for finally making something to get the most out of our first-gen Tundra rear ends!

Here are comparison photos from the stock rear end at full droop and the current rear end still a ways away... I really don't know how much droop the SFK has yet. I need a forklift! :wings:

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Yesterday morning I met up with Jose in his Tundra, his buddy Jesse in his 5th gen 4runner, and Billy from Brute Force Fab in his one-ton linked Tacoma on 42s to run Hell's Revenge.

Jose and Billy-

Some of the other Tacomas at Rock Therapy tagged along for a bit-

Used my sliders a handful of times-

Following Jose... that Archive Garage shackle flip had my locked rear end planted all day and allowed me to take some harder and steeper lines-

Like this one-

Jesse was the only one of us that wanted to do Hell's Gate. It's an obstacle that favors long wheel bases and as the day went on and I felt a lot more comfortable in what my truck could do, I wished I had done it. Next time!

The 2015 TRD Pro DCSB Tundra walked up it...

Billy on the Tip Over Challenge-

By the way- Billy is a super humble, talented, genuine guy. It makes you proud to support people like that. Billy is purely in the business for the love of it and I'd support him over and over again and recommend anyone else to do the same.

We watched a DCSB 2nd gen Tacoma do Mickey's hot tub without too much difficulty. Then Billy made it look way too easy. I dove in after.

I made it in easily but didn't have the approach angle to get out. I was hung up on the shackle hanger regardless of the angle my spotters were telling me to attempt. Billy said if the bumper was 2 inches tighter I would have been out. I heckled him and he assured me that he couldn't possibly have made it any tighter with all the crap hanging down on the front of the Tundra, haha! I backed right out. This was the only obstacle that defeated me all day and I was super happy with the capability of my truck.

My shackle hanger left it's mark, and the quarter panel protection did its job-

If anyone wants to meet me in Moab, I'll roll down anytime. I left my house at 6am, wheeled all day, and was home at 9:30. Slickrock is fun as hell!

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
Love the hammock hanging off the bumper idea. I'll have to remember that one.
I'll have to hit you up when we're finally get around to going to Moab. Tundra party!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Awesome photos. Was very nice to meet you. Was hoping to check out your truck more at camp but I understand it was retard hot out. Wish we stayed another night but we only made it a few hours out of moab and camped near beaver which turned out to be an amazing camp site with nothing around us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL