seanpistol's 01 Tundra

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Here ya go. http://bozeman.craigslist.org/rvs/5775237177.html

I ran an Eagle FWC Shell model that had a full build out done by the previous owner with cabinets and storage. I added Timbrens to eliminate sag when loaded for trips. The Eagle fits really nicely into the first gen access cab Tundras. You just may have to fab up some brackets to give your jacks extra clearence from the fenders because the Eagle sits flush with your bed rails.

I wish I wouldn't have seen this... I'm heading up towards Bozeman/Livingston tomorrow with the gf to get away for a few days. It's so tempting.

And Sean, that's pretty much the same reason I want a camper. I see a lot of ski trips in the future and I'd like to able to just sleep in the lot instead of worry about finding a hotel or Airbnb. I'll message my friend that lives in his old forest service truck with an Alaskan and see what he uses for heat. It might be a wood stove though.

seanpistol

Explorer
Sounds like I'm headed to pick up the new to me camper next weekend. :sombrero:

Thoughts-

Adding heat is my first priority.

I need to see how the water tank and sink work before I make a decision on keeping it or getting rid of it. Could be nice to have, but if it's going to freeze and not work in the winter, I may want to free up the space as I can use a portable 7 gallon jug outside in the summer like I do now. An outside shower would be nice for the summer.

Keep the two burner stove.

Going to remove the propane fridge and eventually add a portable fridge/freezer

Add LED lights to the interior and exterior.

Possibly add an additional ventilation fan, like a Fantastic Fan.

Ideally, I would only need power to run the LED lights, fridge, the ventilation fan, and an inverter to charge phones/laptop/camera off the batteries. Need to research a battery/solar setup so the camper can be fully independent. I know absolutely nothing about this, but it seems feasible. Need to do research.

I will probably camp in it a handful of times before I start re-doing things to let the camper tell me how it wants me to do it.

This guy's build is dreamy - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/four-wheel-camper-rebuild.1053662/

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
As far as LED lighting goes I'm really happy with the IP65 rated LED tape in my canopy. It throws about 120 lumens a foot, and you can get a 16.4ft length roll on Amazon for $14 or so.

20160416_202722_zpsnydw1moi.jpg

seanpistol

Explorer
I think some of those LED lighting strips would be ideal.

Anyone have any input on the battery/solar setup? Can a one or two battery setup with a solar trickle charger be enough for powering LED lights, charging accessories, and running a fridge? I'd like to keep the camper electricity separate from the truck power.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Main reason I have a camper shell is camping in the cold.
I'm able to run my fridge and leave my rock lights on all night with my main truck deep cycle battery all night. It gets charged during the day by a 100watt panel.

For you I'll probably do two batteries and a single 100w solar panel. Honestly you might be able to get away with one big deep cycle imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
I'd sell it to an Expo member for $1100. It has the added stargazer feature, rainfly, and zip on annex with PVC floor. It's in perfect shape, been used 5 times.

EDIT: bed rack has been sold locally to the guy that bought my original bed rack. He is selling my taller, larger bedrack V1.0 for $200.

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
The 100w Renogy panel is a good way to go for the fridge and solar. I've been using the panel paired with Optima Yellowtop since 2013. It's worked, but I will likely be needing a new battery next year.

Also, consider the layout of the roof and anything you might want to add later on. The dimensions of the 150 watt panel might be a better option or value.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks for the input.

I had some family go check out the FWC for me last night and the guy is holding it for me until I can go pick it up a week from tomorrow. It's a 1983 7' Fleet model in excellent shape.

EDIT: bedrack has been sold locally to the guy that bought my original bed rack. He is selling my taller, larger bedrack V1.0 for $200.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer

Thanks for noticing and the nice comment. Yes, this set-up has proven to be very effective and reliable. Absolutely zero trouble since the day I installed it. It just runs!

Last winter I even rigged it up so the ARB fridge was WARMED when it went below freezing. Saved beers from freezing and prevented cans from exploding. I've always thought ARB should develop a fridge with this feature...

seanpistol

Explorer
That setup sounds like it will work great. Looks like the 100w solar panel and controller can be found for around EDIT: <$200

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL