Show Your Ironic Photos

Stefan

bannizmy_57.jpg

136507894_041f14d614.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Not really irony, but I can promise you that these do not go above 99mph. At least not the one at the top of hwy 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz :coffee:
A000007.jpg

diner.jpg

idiot.jpg

And the port-a-potty that was down the street from me for a while. Whenever I saw this sign, I just pictured 10 clowns coming out of it.
portapotty.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
I failed English and literature in 9th grade. Flat out failed. Please school me here . . .
Scott, you're taking it too seriously, bro!

Okay, the photo of the bird on the sign: it's ironic that we see a bird standing on a "no birds allowed" sign. It's an incongruity between the expected events (no birds) and the results (ah! but there's a bird!). Let's avoid discussion of the merits of a "no birds allowed" sign existing at all.

Jesus, am I really typing this?

Use of cameras prohibited: Isn't it ironic that you're viewing that sign in a picture? Dontcha think?

If you recall the famous Alanis Morrissette song, Ironic, an English professor once pointed out that that song really doesn't use ironic examples but just uses a "list of bummers."

Merriam-Webster's definition of ironic for your cure of boredom.

English lesson over. Here's your assignment . . . what's ironic about KC's photo here? I love this one:

701774913_FhKAh-O.jpg

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Are you guys seriously debating what is an ironic photo and what isn't?

Here's my submission--
I took it a year or so ago in upstate Connecticut.

1234896488_2409156726_0bbd15f959_b.jpg

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mark, Mark...I "get it." My question is the very fine points of irony: is it coincidence, or irony? Irony a disconnect between what is "said" and what is meant? The bird I'm thinking a coincidence, unlikely and funny at that. In the Rover's case, I see complete congruity :D I'll stop now...

jnaut

Observer
I do have to give a brief introduction to this one. U.S./Mexico Border Fence. Border Patrol Agents fixing holes in said fence.

Again, not irony. It's exactly what we knew would happen with a stupid border fence.

Irony was using illegal immigrants to help build it. THAT'S irony. :costumed-smiley-007

jnaut

Observer
By the way, I wasn't grading the pictures for Irony, I just picked the two funny ones that struck me as expected outcomes. There were plenty of other non-ironic photos but were still funny as hell, and worth seeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk