Side-mount Jerry can holders

tgil

The side-mounted configuration from MORryde is GREAT for carrying a full 10-gallons of water or fuel without loading extra weight on the rear door hinges or taking up space on the roof rack (I've tried many alternatives). I installed my CB antenna quick-mount at the designated access point in the MORryde brackets. Since I change configurations several times a month, I installed four massive rivnuts on each side that enable me to mount or remove the bracket in 10 seconds with a drill and socket (NASCAR pit-crew style). I also cut one side of the brackets so I can use it to dispense 5-gallons of water from a spigot when at base camp.

y4mAcq8QyEF_SMwTb9sk2VG0sMEtjtyeBBfQ4Resm95EREV9ZQrwnibSftK2l9W2qgJoVhVO5QE8bn8cW5DZH5bbLVr_PD_1hxLMAZIVohH1QcR3WD03Wz9iz-wF2bPUClmFWqe8e20okegYTqBtDIjSZ-hZkN3-OIoWcPcs_5SXzxifLpK3SzvYWh4lVO_8ccGsrGdZMAbZPttBhLVzQqW7g

y4mPb2xcaqny3lJ1bLqqTRPssA-_uKzMuS2Fr7eevOlMxcLG9aTqU77axiVrhKhwaJ5qfvkFanFm1Fo1XBLWYvyCT4607ybgHarV_b0Y_kSck_nT6O2LikmquTi6OOhcoXX5q9-BJHURQH8y-8k6heAm98nVlNeVLzDaVJcbpq1X-C3naMkRoCVDViZ4yvR12FTAXh6uMgt_brXZEInZ859yw
So that black piece stays on the Jeep all of the time?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So that black piece stays on the Jeep all of the time?

That's how Matt runs his, but most people remove the mounting base when they don't need to carry extra fuel. It's 3 quick bolts, all of which are in factory bolt holes so no drilling for installation either. I timed it once, removal can be done in less than a minute per side.

MattJ

Adventurer
Jeff is right - you can do it quickly but the bolts are different sizes and you need to open the hood for one and the door for another. Plus, the bolt that goes through the interior door hinge inside the vehicle needs to be pushed in deep and perfectly straight to get the threads to grab. A few times it took more grunting and sweating than I expected, but maybe that is just a glitch with my Jeep. Eventually, I just got lazy and switched to the rivnuts since I take the brackets on/off several times a month. If anyone asks, I just tell them the black plates are armor plating for security purposes. ;) But Jeff is right - they are designed to be removed easily and I think everyone else simply removes them when not in use.

EDIT - now that I think about it, since my CB antenna quick-connect base is mounted into the bracket on the driver side, I don't think I could remove that bracket anymore. Unless I move the antenna, of course.

y4m-HMC01w0Dr37lUG44wSUnSUSXhI38PMwSEzJxtqQxV3ki8aO7ryF8gYaLIZ_0C0cKQ_bPWvsdLY30EniXQk32jYoMRRyf0Dd9YoQ30xyFQRkmdW_ZoEFnKC6oGuEt61nIOxnJ58ADhUhuxwKQ6qXziOIB5k35--2y2sOlE5_1nQaspmO-LWjQN2q5wlJr6h5n91LA6sSIhDLyxC_gmsmsQ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...the bolt that goes through the interior door hinge inside the vehicle needs to be pushed in deep and perfectly straight to get the threads to grab.

That may be how the doors are aligned on your Jeep, mine go right in with no special considerations.

Redcrow

Last year I made some adjustable locking straps to keep jerry cans secure, I posted about them earlier in this thread. I made them out of standard "removable link" agricultural chain to provide for lots of adjustment and security. Here's a few photos of them:

LockingStrapsDone2_zpsvznp0v5v.jpg

They've got a big adjustment range by adding/removing links, and a fine adjustment range in the latch to snug the can down very tightly. As shown in the photos above they can be used with multiple types of cans, and with jerry cans the swivels at the ends allow the strap to go over the cap to prevent it from being opened when the strap is in place. I also made up covers for the chain so they don't scratch the cans.

LockingStrapsDone1_zpsuwz6xtdl.jpg

The straps have worked out really well, although the agricultural chain I used wouldn't make sense if some company were to pick this up as a production product because the links are too tight to remove without a tool unless each link is modified slightly. To eliminate the ag chain issue, I've designed a new style of link that can easily be added/removed. I sent CAD drawings of the link parts to a friend at a company that's got lots of laser capacity; today this pile of parts arrived:

ChainLinks2_zpsjlwbe7lu.jpg

I'll assemble these parts into some straps for testing in the next few days.
Do you by chance sell any of these straps? I would love to use them to hold my newly replaced Jerry cans on my off road trailer and jeep

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you by chance sell any of these straps? I would love to use them to hold my newly replaced Jerry cans on my off road trailer and jeep
The company that makes the jerry can holders made up a bunch of prototypes and I've tested them on the road and on the trail. The straps work great but because of low perceived demand for them and other product priorities for the company's engineering staff I never recommended that the company put them into production.

MattJ

Adventurer
I'd love some of those locking straps too! I am paranoid about someone playing a prank and "contaminating" my water supply when I'm not looking. I rigged up a u-bolt through the cap and an eye bolt in the air vent that can be locked with a simple cable (prevents them from unscrewing). Not pretty, but it works. It also secures the entire can to the u-bolt in the MORryde bracket.

y4m75c38_PmSFluA1lvMNupYA2Y4lVNMagdzyLU-awi4y_C8akklecZx6DsN7-iJIncGvv8c5rENiSEeqawNko0HrM9VLuXiXQiRRD6OYnKicMTRYT0Wt6HcUNl7hf6XNiu0THx4L5F0jwAK0EFWeENYOukGxDVjmbKUeCrSA4a0TQNbUUXDvDwCof0Xq09eqo9IPsDa615sM2iXqMJW_Ztkw

y4mfKfJH5z4u6XBvquhq29jI-RpoPlQkdvNX3f8BHcCm1i0xmccBn0kDa5zWtkwNenw_VGOGbezyP0Iri0gq27Z_QB-UfpZ7eaiSAMFkbqSSKqE566U9_E6iMmnWZxUbqbpE5YXatuzcGu0wu7CNOX-SpSeFrqsZW_xPez3yLJipqjiMNl26e_XFuPDzsNe7RZd8z6Efyl06ALygpn3qX_ZJA

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'd love some of those locking straps too! I am paranoid about someone playing a prank and "contaminating" my water supply when I'm not looking. I rigged up a u-bolt through the cap and an eye bolt in the air vent that can be locked with a simple cable (prevents them from unscrewing). Not pretty, but it works. It also secures the entire can to the u-bolt in the MORryde bracket.

When I first posted about the locking straps a while back there didn't seem to be enou‌gh interest in them to try to get them into production. I use them all the time but I guess most people don't see a need for them.

But I find them useful, and I've got an alternate design that will probably be less expensive to manufacture than the original design; over the next few weeks I hope to find time to make some prototypes of the new design for testing.

OregonJKU

Hi Jeff, another question for you. You have so many good ideas! We are also interested in mounting a jerry can somewhere on our JKU. We are looking at your idea (and Morryde product) of mounting the can on the driver side, and are wondering how the mounting bracket is prevented from scratching the body panel. Doesn't the bracket vibrate when traveling off road?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff, another question for you. You have so many good ideas! We are also interested in mounting a jerry can somewhere on our JKU. We are looking at your idea (and Morryde product) of mounting the can on the driver side, and are wondering how the mounting bracket is prevented from scratching the body panel. Doesn't the bracket vibrate when traveling off road?
It does not vibrate and I've had no reports of scratching from other people and in the many miles I've used mine on both sides of my Jeep there's been no scratching. There's only one place where the mount contacts the outside of the body, that's at the bolt at the bottom of the windshield and there's no movement of the bracket against the body there. If it made you feel better you could put a piece of thin rubber or something between the bracket and body there but it's really not necessary.

MattJ

Adventurer
I love this product. It looks great, is rock-solid and absolutely will not rub or scratch the body panel of the Jeep, even after thousands of miles and/or rough terrain. 10 gallons of water weighs 80 pounds, and I was thrilled to find a solution that didn’t load more weight on the roof or rear tailgate/bumper.

MattJ

Adventurer
In response to some follow-up questions, here's where I found the stainless steel water cans:

http://dinubawater.com/

They're not cheap, but they look great, are very durable and don't make water taste like plastic. The company was very helpful in sending me some ideas on how to find a spigot . . . but it now looks like they sell that accessory directly.

It has been very helpful to me to rotate the water can to a horizontal position for use with the spigot (see photos earlier in this thread). Each can weighs 40 pounds when full. The bracket is a great place to hold the can when you set up camp. BUT . . . you'll have to cut the side of the bracket yourself, and the horizontal can will limit the front door of the Jeep to only open halfway.

Pgopinath

I checked in with Dinuba Water this morning since teh Jerry cans showed on their website as out of stock and here is what they replied, quite promptly too:

Here is the status: We have made a number of upgrades to the containers.
The round containers will be double walled for added insulation value. We are also upgrading the stainless steel to 304L grade which has less carbon content than standard 304 grade. The lower carbon content makes the stainless steel more corrosion resistant, especially at the welds. We also no longer use standard TIG welds but have upgraded to laser welds. All of these improvements increase the life span and quality of the containers. In addition, we have made a few design changes. Our problem was finding a factory that could do all of the things I listed above. We tested and rejected 3 before we found one that could perform to our expectations. We have reached production agreements with them and they are currently producing the tooling and dies required to fabricate our products. We expect to receive the first prototypes near the end of this month or early July. If they meet our testing standards, we will begin production immediately. Production runs take up to 30 days, so I expect to have them sometime in August. However, once we test the prototypes, I will place the pictures on the website and open presales on them. This has taken far longer than we planned, but we simply could not work with factories that could not perform to our requirements.

There are also a number of improvements on the Jerry Can. They will be available on the same schedule.

Thanks for your patience.

Dinuba Water

V/R
Prabha

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm working on a new style locking strap, here's a photo of the first prototype. It will work with jerry, NATO and Scepter containers in a range of holders. It's got a wide range of adjustment through the slots in the strap and the finer adjustment in the locking catch.

WireRopeProto1_zpsgvs208w2.jpg

It can secure the caps on all 3 types on containers, in this photo it's locking the cap of a jerry can. It locks Scepter containers the same way and it locks NATO containers by going over the lever mechanism of the cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal