Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few last photos of the jerry can mounts...

BothJerryCansInstalled2_zpse891ddae.jpg

One on each side...

BothJerryCansInstalled3_zps2a8eff6f.jpg

All ready for the trip I'm planning up the Alaska Highway and the hopefully the Dalton Highway :).

I won't keep these on the Jeep for everyday driving, they unmount from the receivers in minutes, so I'll just install them when I'm going on an adventure where I think I might need extra fuel.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A few last photos of the jerry can mounts...

All ready for the trip I'm planning up the Alaska Highway and the hopefully the Dalton Highway :).

So perfect. Great work!

Hit me up when you're near Whitehorse, Yukon. We can find a great campsite near town and share a beer or two :)

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So perfect. Great work!

Hit me up when you're near Whitehorse, Yukon. We can find a great campsite near town and share a beer or two :)

-Dan
Trip will be late summer, assuming no family obligations or other unplanned things get in the way.

wjeeper

Use to see side mounted gerry cans all the time!
gascan.jpg
Really love the look on a Willys wagon or truck.........less so on the newer stuff but it sure has a nostalgic look to it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The commercial strap solutions to secure jerry cans in the holders that I'm aware of don't really do a great job of snugging the can down so it can't move, so yesterday I put adjustable latches on my metal straps. On the left is the original latch, the right two photos show the new adjustable latches I swapped in their place.

JerryCanLatch_zps5df007c3.jpg

Here's a shot of the latch taken from the ebay listing I bought them from. Two latches were only $8 plus reasonable shipping.

JerryCanLatch2_zpsd93f51e3.jpg

Using the adjustment provided with these latches the cans you can snug the cans down so there's no movement.

I'm doing a two-week Colorado off-pavement trip in August, so I'll be giving the can holders a good trail test.

ReadyForTrail_zpsef9fdd33.jpg

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm not really much of a camper, so I'm leaning towards hotels. Actually I've never camped in the roof top tent, I didn't have to pay for it so I got it for prototyping things .

I did ALL of Alaska a few years ago on a motorcycle www.motoalaska.blogspot.com

If you motel, you need to stop driving early because the few hotels remaining in business fill up by 4pm......And the sun never sets so there really is no reason to stop driving.

You MUST carry gas as many stations that showed up on GPS or the MilePost simply didn't have gas, were out of business, or the delivery truck was delayed. We used the Alaska Touring Rule.....Fill up at EVERY opportunity. Even if you still have more than half a tank.

Have fun....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Add me to the list as well. :)

When are you coming up here?

If my sisters hadn't messed up my plans, I'd be in Alaska right now :(

I had the trip all planned for this July and August, but my sisters decided we'd have a family get-together in July in Florida to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday, so that cut right into the time I was planning for the trip. Now there isn't enough time to do it right before I have to be back here to get the kids back to college, etc. So I'll do Alaska next July/August, and as a consolation next week I'll leave for a two-week off-pavement trip in Colorado, Colorado is close enough that I can do it before the other family commitments kick in late August. I was really looking forward to doing the Dalton this summer, but mom's celebration had to take precedence. And Mom's actual birthday isn't until the end of August, but late July is the only time the whole family could get from their various locations to Florida for the celebration.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you motel, you need to stop driving early because the few hotels remaining in business fill up by 4pm......And the sun never sets so there really is no reason to stop driving.

You MUST carry gas as many stations that showed up on GPS or the MilePost simply didn't have gas, were out of business, or the delivery truck was delayed. We used the Alaska Touring Rule.....Fill up at EVERY opportunity. Even if you still have more than half a tank.

Have fun....

Thanks, that's definitely my plan for the Alaska trip, fill up every chance I get no matter how much gas is in the tank. Don't want to do the Dalton or any of those roads relying on just what's in the tank.

I am planning on doing motels, and was thinking I'd make the reservations before I left home. I have the trip planned in enough detail that I know where I'll be each night (barring unforseen catastrophes :)). Bit I am thinking about throwing the RTT on top of the Jeep as a backup...

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

SafariRTTPacked1.jpg

I've attached a few photos of my Jeep with the rear and side cans mounted. I know it ain't pretty but it works just fine. I added these probably (5) years ago....bought them from JC Whitney. They're attached to the body of the Jeep. My guess is that they've been on there for maybe 50,000 miles. I drive and tow this thing and I use it on pavement and off road, and much of the miles are as a tow vehicle. I've taken it to Alaska and also did the trip through Labrador and New Foundland. But I use them for additional diesel fuel for my truck which only has a (25) gallon tank. I've only actually had to use the cans twice while traveling so normally they're empty. I only fill them when there may be an issue with getting diesel fuel. I do leave them on full time. For me these cans are like insurance. The couple of times that I used them, I was so glad that I had them. I also like your work.

photo (2).JPG

photo-1 (2).JPG

Septu

Explorer
Thanks, that's definitely my plan for the Alaska trip, fill up every chance I get no matter how much gas is in the tank. Don't want to do the Dalton or any of those roads relying on just what's in the tank.

I am planning on doing motels, and was thinking I'd make the reservations before I left home. I have the trip planned in enough detail that I know where I'll be each night (barring unforseen catastrophes :)). Bit I am thinking about throwing the RTT on top of the Jeep as a backup...

Honestly, doing a trip like this, I'd spend more time camping, and just the odd night in the hotels. But that's me. Enjoy the time in Colorado, and hopefully we see you next summer.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like the concept on some vehicles but not others. I think you pulled it off well. I think the ability to remove the mounts is a good thing. I have to wonder if there wouldn't be a way to integrate some kind of stealthy mounting system into a pair of rocker guards?

Having the weight forward is a big win to me. It might not work for super technical rock trails, but it would have worked on my big snow-wheeling trip this spring.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the concept on some vehicles but not others. I think you pulled it off well. I think the ability to remove the mounts is a good thing. I have to wonder if there wouldn't be a way to integrate some kind of stealthy mounting system into a pair of rocker guards?

Thank you. The ability to remove/install them quickly them quickly was a key design requirement for me. My other main requirements were:

- NO DRILLING ON THE JEEP. Had to be a complete bolt-on.
- Very sturdy, cans don't rattle or wobble over bumps.
- Doesn't decrease ground clearance (everything must be level with or above frame and factory side steps)

The receivers definitely could be integrated with some rocker guards, that's a good idea. But they're pretty stealthy as it is, you really don't notice them much when the can mounts aren't installed.

JerryCanSideRackInstalledRcvr.jpg

Having the weight forward is a big win to me. It might not work for super technical rock trails, but it would have worked on my big snow-wheeling trip this spring.

Definitely agree on moving the weight forward, don't need 75+ extra pounds hanging off the rear of the Jeep, especially not on a moving parts like the tailgate or a swing-away spare carrier.

Agreed on the technical rock trails, but that's not the kind of off-road adventure I'm interested in. Trails where vehicle damage is likely are not on my list. I think of these carriers as overlanding/moderate trail accessories.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just finishing up our 200-mile off-pavement trip through Colorado... the jerry can carriers have worked great. With the weight of gas in them they worked out just fine over the rough trails. No rattling and they're very sturdy. The cans are also plenty high enough to not be a problem with obstacles on the trail.

TincupPassRain3_zps0fcfad3f.jpg

GeorgiaPass2_zps61fed531.jpg

AnimasRiver2_zps6cc77bb3.jpg

No further work is needed on the design, they're good to go, I'm very pleased with how they worked out. I like the side can location a lot better than the rear locations I've designed/built before.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Did you adjust the straps on your doors to keep them from banging into your can holders? Or was that not an issue with your design? Looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL