Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...how about an aftermarket, high capacity fuel tank to replace the stock unit?

Costs more, but probably much safer.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST8202-2#.U3wrOCj1Upw

I only need the extra fuel capacity on maybe one or two trips per year. My jerry can mounts cost basically nothing (made them from scrap metal) and they remove/install in less than a minute (only carry extra fuel with I need it), so I can't justify a gas tank that would end up costing over $1000.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any chance you would want to sale that spare tire mount or fab up another?

Are you asking about one of these from earlier in this thread?

RearCanMounts_zps46fc8624.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Just an update, I've got a few more trips under my belt with these and couldn't be happier. I just got back from a trip that didn't require any extra gas, so I put my rampage jerry can tool box on one side and my scepter water can on the other. This free'd up quite a but of space in the back and made packing far easier. This is something I should have done a long time ago!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400992784.088247.jpg

This may be out of topic, but thought I should post it here as it may help others who wouldn't mind using this as a Jerry Can gas carrier on a roof rack, not side mount. I just got it tonight and will use it on my upcoming 3,500 miles road trip and also on all my road trips. I drive a Armada, not a Jeep. But this may be an idea that some could use.

I got it from Home Depot. It fits great. Check out my thread..., http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24056&page=15

izilsG9.jpg
e6QtnEz.jpg

Wa5qqwd.jpg
474BT0w.jpg

YHkslFw.jpg
sc0ojvV.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Update on my jerry can holders - the original reason I designed them was for a trip up the Dalton Highway in Alaska. Just did that almost 1000-mile round trip from Fairbanks, it turned out I just made it on the internal tank capacity so I didn't need the extra fuel, but I didn't make it by much - it was really nice having the extra fuel along. The Jeep and the jerry cans/holders took a beating on the mostly-dirt Dalton, but they (the Jeep and the can holders) did great. A few photos along the Dalton:

At the Arctic Circle:

DaltonArcticCircle_zpsd511c541.jpg

At the top of Atigun Pass the other day, it was snowing up there:

AtigunSummit2_zps5e1a96df.jpg

camodog

Adventurer
Actually mine is serving as a prototype right now for a company that may be interested in bringing it to market, so I can't sell it.

any word on when the company will make a decision on the outside of tire holder? I would like to have one before my trip to moab next month.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
any word on when the company will make a decision on the outside of tire holder? I would like to have one before my trip to moab next month.

The company has given me pre-production versions of both the side-mount and the spare-mount jerry can holders for testing. I'm planning an off-road trip in Colorado next month to thoroughly test both of them on- and off-road.

If all goes well I'd expect them to be on the market later this year. They told me the other day they're planning to show them in their booth at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas in November.

I'm not sure if any will be available before SEMA. Based on my initial review of the pre-production units, I've suggested they make a few small changes before going to production. I'm not sure if they'll do a second pre-production run for more testing or if they'll make the changes and call them production-ready. If some become available for testing early and before final production, I could let people know.

camodog

Adventurer
Welp. I guess I will have to wait. I really didnt want to throw the jerry cans on the roof rack, but I dont really have any other ideas. I would like to have one of those rear bumpers with tire carrier, racks, and jerry can holders, but i cant justify spending over a grand for the set up.

Thanks for the quick reply.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of the spare-mounted jerry can holder...

Since I built the side-mount jerry can carriers, I never use the spare-mount carrier anymore. So I've been experimenting with another use for the mount:

AmmoSpare1_zps8487bb9e.jpg

AmmoSpare2_zpsbd9bab9a.jpg

Might be a good place to store recovery gear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL