Side-mount Jerry can holders

Jakes01234

Explorer
I have been waiting for these things since 2013. Taking way to long hahaha. I will very rarely need to carry extra fuel but when I do this will suit my needs very Nicely.
Seeing as you are all over the forums would you be able to tell me any information on this guy's setup?
d73bfc21b9fc9a10e6c945d2742b52c7.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have been waiting for these things since 2013. Taking way to long hahaha. I will very rarely need to carry extra fuel but when I do this will suit my needs very Nicely.
Seeing as you are all over the forums would you be able to tell me any information on this guy's setup?
I don't know anything about that guy's Jeep, sorry, but it looks like he drilled holes in the tub to install his mount. That's not the way mine works, mine bolts to the frame with no drilling whatsoever.

The ones I designed are in production. Here's the company that's manufacturing them: http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories

They usually don't sell direct, although they will have a booth at the Vendor Expo at Easter Jeep Safari next week and will be selling them there.

They will also be in the Extreme Terrain catalog very soon, I know they have been shipped from the manufacturer to Extreme Terrain already.

If you want I can check to see if the company would sell you one direct, I know they're offering a free shipping offer at EJS because people may not want to carry them home.

bluehash

Adventurer
I don't know anything about that guy's Jeep, sorry, but it looks like he drilled holes in the tub to install his mount. That's not the way mine works, mine bolts to the frame with no drilling whatsoever.

The ones I designed are in production. Here's the company that's manufacturing them: http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories

They usually don't sell direct, although they will have a booth at the Vendor Expo at Easter Jeep Safari next week and will be selling them there.

They will also be in the Extreme Terrain catalog very soon, I know they have been shipped from the manufacturer to Extreme Terrain already.

If you want I can check to see if the company would sell you one direct, I know they're offering a free shipping offer at EJS because people may not want to carry them home.

Awesome! Just contacted them for more information. Will this fit a scepter can?

Jakes01234

Explorer
Is the plate that the fuel can sits in bolted to the 2 inch bar or welded?
My fender is about 2 inches higher than normal so I may need to raise it a touch.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Just contacted them for more information. Will this fit a scepter can?

Yes, the tray fits standard size "military style" cans, including jerry cans, NATO cans and Sceptre. I don't have a photo of it with the Scepter, but here it is with jerry and NATO cans...

SideMountLowJerry_zpsbolclc2p.jpg

SideMountLowNATO_zps4vtkzqpi.jpg

BTW, there are two tray options, a low version and a high version:

LowAndHighTrays_zpss53m73ef.jpg

Is the plate that the fuel can sits in bolted to the 2 inch bar or welded?
My fender is about 2 inches higher than normal so I may need to raise it a touch.

The trays are bolted to the mount, so you would have no problem inserting a spacer to raise it.

Also the trays are available separately if anyone is doing something custom and needs a universal tray.

For the record: I am not an employee of the company that's manufacturing these, nor am I an employee of any company that will be selling them.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Jsherb, Back to those hinges. ha ha. Are they designed to take some extra weight from a 33" tire and say a vector rack mounted on the wheel with some rotopax on them? And do you know the costs , and availability of them?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jsherb, Back to those hinges. ha ha. Are they designed to take some extra weight from a 33" tire and say a vector rack mounted on the wheel with some rotopax on them? And do you know the costs , and availability of them?

Yes, they are designed to take extra weight, they're stronger than the factory hinges, and unlike the factory hinges, they've got long bronze bushing surfaces and a larger diameter hinge pin, and they're greaseable (a zerk fitting at the bearing surface) so they won't wear and sag over time the same way factory hinges do.

The hinges will be available from multiple sources, including the Jeep catalog company I mentioned in a previous post. They'll also be available for purchase directly from the manufacturer at the Easter Jeep Safari vendor expo, which might be the quickest way to get them (EJS is next week).

Yes I know the price, and this being a non-commercial post (and I'll say again I am not an employee of the company manufacturing these or of any companies that will be selling them), I don't think I'm allowed to post it, but I'll just say that they're less expensive than any other JK replacement hinge solution while at the same time being the strongest ones on the market.

Here's a pre-production pair of hinges next to a factory hinge (there are very minor changes between these pictured and the production hinges):

HingeCompare_zpsf07a1db5.jpg

At some point, the weak link becomes the tailgate itself, or the factory cast spare bracket, but depending on the weight of your 33 (4 ply? or 6-8 ply LT tire?), and the size of your Rotopax, you're probably ok. When you go to a 35" LT tire and a larger (say 4 gallon) Rotopax, you're probably pushing it for both the tailgate and the spare bracket. I understand solutions for much heavier loads like that are in the works from the same company.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am running the BFG AT 285. as well as the large rotopax can. I am also installing the MBRP tailgate re enforcement. Should work fine. My hinges are rattling now. Can any morryde dealer get the hinges now?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am running the BFG AT 285. as well as the large rotopax can. I am also installing the MBRP tailgate re enforcement. Should work fine. My hinges are rattling now. Can any morryde dealer get the hinges now?
The best way to find out where you can get them right away is to click on the "Contact Us" link on the MORryde site and ask them. They're very responsive to those requests. http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Extreme terrain is being insanely slow on this and Morryde has zero in stock.

I'll check with MORryde. The side-mount jerry holders generated a lot of interest at their Easter Jeep Safari booth, I know they were taking orders there and I didn't hear that there was a problem.

Extreme Terrain has (or had) some in stock and I know they are able to sell them, but I heard they're not in the ET catalog yet because of something unrelated to this at ET. As far as I know you can buy them there by calling and telling the ET sales rep the ET product number, which is:

J102519 Barricade Jerry Can Holder - Frame Side Mount w/Short Tray
or
J102520 Barricade Jerry Can Holder - Frame Side Mount w/Tall Tray

Or you could contact Ryan Wertz at MORryde, he should know what's going on and can take orders over the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL