Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you think you will ever have these available for the jk? It would save me a ton of work from making my own.

I've done some preliminary design work on a JK version, but they haven't been a high priority for me yet. Right now I'm working with a company that wants to market the TJ/LJ version; if all goes well they plan to show them at the SEMA show this year.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I've done some preliminary design work on a JK version, but they haven't been a high priority for me yet. Right now I'm working with a company that wants to market the TJ/LJ version; if all goes well they plan to show them at the SEMA show this year.

Hmm, ok. Is it possible to get a picture of how yours are bolted to the frame? Would give me some direction on how I would need to make mine. This is the only solution at the moment that even makes me carrying fuel outside a possibility

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hmm, ok. Is it possible to get a picture of how yours are bolted to the frame? Would give me some direction on how I would need to make mine. This is the only solution at the moment that even makes me carrying fuel outside a possibility

To be fair to the company that wants to market these, I probably should refrain from posting any further design details before they show their production version.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Since I built the side-mount jerry can carriers, I never use the spare-mount carrier anymore. So I've been experimenting with another use for the mount:

AmmoSpare2_zpsbd9bab9a.jpg

Might be a good place to store recovery gear?

Recovery straps that have been dragged through the mud/water will need to dry, so I would suggest putting drain holes in the ammo can if you plan to put them in there. That sure would be a convenient spot for the straps, snatch block, clevis', etc.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
I have a rampage jerry can tool box that I usually put in my side mount. It's a nice handy place to store some essential tools outside of the jeep so I don't have to listen to them rattle around.
u2uvubev.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Not at the moment, I have a windshield frame guard with a piece of tubing across the front that connects the two sides. It sticks out a few inches from the top of the actual windshield frame, the rack sits on that and is clamped in place. The load is carried by all of the lower windshield bolts.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been in Colorado all this week having some fun off-road and enjoying spectacular scenery. Another purpose of this trip was testing jerry can carriers. Both of the carriers I used on this trip were pre-production units made by the company that's working towards bringing them to market. We figured they'd need a good on- and off-road test, since they made a few changes from my original design to facilitate manufacturing.

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

RiverCrossing3_zpsfc3b2715.jpg

RiverCrossing1_zps05161601.jpg

The hinge-mounted jack carrier performed great as well.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
While changing my spark plugs today, I found another good use for my side jerry can mounts. They make a perfect tool tray!
8e8e8eby.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For the record: I am not an employee of the company I'm mentioning in this post.

I'm at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas all this week, and the first place I had to visit was the booth of a company that's licensed several of my Jeep accessory designs.

This is the large banner they had in the booth:

MorRydeBanner_zps8d21d604.jpg

The side-mounted jerry can carrier you've seen me developing in this thread; it's got a receiver that bolts to the frame (no drilling) and the jerry can bracket slips into the receiver making it easy and quick to install and remove (works with TJ and YJ Wranglers):

SEMASide_zps7a118d7c.jpg

A spare-mounted jerry can holder that works with pretty much any vehicle that has a vertically-mounted rear spare, including the JK, TJ, YJ and CJ:

MorRyde2_zps6ce3506f.jpg

SEMASpare_zps4a328e8e.jpg

A folding cargo rack/trail table that hangs over the spare tire:

SEMAExcursion_zpsc91cf5aa.jpg

And heavy-duty hinges I developed as part of my current JK project:

MorRydeHinges_zps7efd2922.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Again for the record: I'm not an employee of this company.

The company is called Mor/Ryde (http://www.morryde.com/), they're one of the largest accessory companies in the RV industry; most of the large RV manufacturers use their products. The've got about 600 employeess, and one of the largest and most state-of-the-art fabrication facilities in the business. A year ago they decided they wanted to get into the Jeep accessories business, so they asked me if I could help them a bit. They've got a range of RV and pickup truck accessories that are pretty well regarded in those markets, and now they want to get into the Jeep accessory market.

MorRyde1_zps09dd1522.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
MOR/Ryde sent an update email out today to people who had contacted them through their website "Contact Us" link. Here's what they said in that email. This applies to all of the products I posted about in my SEMA updates.

At SEMA, a catalog company that specializes in Jeep accessories expressed interest in working with us to bring the products to market. We provided samples for their review and are now finalizing the installation instructions. They are very pleased with the products and believe it will strike a nice chord with Jeep owners. We anticipate the products being added to their catalog in the very near future. In addition, we will be working with another company who works with Jeep owners and sells via Jeep forums.
We anticipate bringing the products to the market in late January. Thanks for your interest and your patience with these new products. We're excited to be able to serve the Jeep market and their owners. "

For the record: I am not an employee of MOR/Ryde.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got an email today with photos of the boxes for the jerry can carriers. I'm told a bunch have already shipped to one of the Jeep catalog companies.

ProductBoxes_zps1jtsix5v.jpg

For the record: I am not an employee of the company that's manufacturing/selling these, nor am I an employee of the catalog company I mentioned. Actually I'm not an employee of any company :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL