Side-mount Jerry can holders

Jakes01234

Explorer
Tried every one of those avenues.
ET said NO.
Talked to Ryan and he said none in stock at morryde. This was last Friday.
I, for some reason can not remember what Ryan said at the end of the call.. I usually take notes for this reason........

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tried every one of those avenues.
ET said NO.
Talked to Ryan and he said none in stock at morryde. This was last Friday.

Then I guess they've been popular enough that their first production run has already sold out. Based on the orders they got at EJS, if they're already out of them I'm sure there will be a second production run right away. Stay in touch with Ryan and he'll get some to you as soon as they come off the line. They are manufactured in Elkhart, Indiana, and they've got a fairly quick production turnaround time compared to a lot of places, so I wouldn't think it would be too long.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's Easter Sunday and I just got an email back from my top contact at MORryde - wasn't expecting to hear back so quickly! He said:

Hi jeff happy Easter
You can let them know we will ship direct next week if they would like to order

So if you call Ryan again he can take your order and they'll ship next week (I assume that means the week that starts next Sunday, not the week that started today).

Jakes01234

Explorer
Looks okay to me.
e7f4469809305d7bfc9a490528706773.jpg

That's Jeff's photo by the way. He posted it earlier in the thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks okay to me.
e7f4469809305d7bfc9a490528706773.jpg

That's Jeff's photo by the way. He posted it earlier in the thread.
You beat me to it :).

When I design something, I usually test the prototype beyond the expected usage. In this case, I did the 6'6", 225-lb. gorilla test. A full jerry can weighs about 45 lbs., so the gorilla test is a comfortable safety margin.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you have a link for the metal straps that hold the can down?

The MORryde production units come with a really nice ratchet strap. I've tested them and they snug down great and prevent any movement or rattling of the can:

SideMountLowJerry_zpskxctzuxp.jpg

The metal straps I've used with my prototype carriers I think I found on eBay, one is pictured on the left below. I didn't like how they worked because they're not adjustable, so you can't snug the can down enough - it always moves and rattles. I modified them as shown in the middle and right photos below; I swapped out the latch for an adjustable one which can be adjusted to prevent any rattling. I haven't found anything like my modified ones on the market.

JerryCanLatch_zps5df007c3.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
Thanks
I'll have to come up with something. I want it to be lockable. I can see a few gallons of gas walking away fairly quickly.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks
I'll have to come up with something. I want it to be lockable. I can see a few gallons of gas walking away fairly quickly.

These are the ones I used as a starting point when I modified mine: http://www.twincitysurplus.com/catalog.fx?view=1&pid=1037&cart_id=95627.370, although I think I bought them on eBay:

1037.jpg

BTW the MORryde jerry can holders come with one of two types of trays - "tall" and "short". The tall trays are compatible with the original military blitz trays when it comes to bolt holes and strap holes, so anything that works with an original Blitz tray will work with the MORryde tall tray. If you're trying to source other straps, the tall tray might be easiest to work with. Short (left) and Tall (right):

LowAndHighTrays_zpsjtiig04v.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Why the two different bases ? (Short and tall)

The trays are also available separately, for those who might want to install them on something custom or on their swing-away tire carrier or whatever. The tall tray is bolt-compatible with the original Blitz carriers, so it could be bolted directly to the side of a Jeep, for example, and it's also compatible with the position of the strap slots, so any straps that fit a Blitz will fit the tall tray. The short tray is another option for people who prefer or need that style for their custom application. As long as the two trays are being manufactured, it made sense to also offer the choice to people buying either the side-mount or the spare-mount carriers.

Both trays are also compatible with jerry, NATO and Sceptre style cans, and two Rotopax containers can also be carried in them.

The trays are also a much heavier gauge steel than the original Blitz trays, so they're much stronger and more resistant to cans vibrating and rattling around than the original trays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL