Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have the Exogate and love it so far (had it a week).
I have the bumps touching the tire nicely and I'm thinking another 50 pounds won't be a killer. I now may need the 3rd jerry can mount.

I was hoping you had a rack or something in the works that attaches to the exogate and sits on top of the spare or real close to it. So then it could hold 2 cans or a cooler.

;)

HFRackInstalled11.jpg

HFRackInstalled14.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would you like me to test that for you? One weekend of 1k bumpy miles. I'll even pickup and deliver hahahaha

I've done a little testing already, although the test in this photo was a static weight test. On the trail I probably would just carry a cooler up there :).

HFRackTest1.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
Yeah I don't see a ton of need for cinder blocks on the trail hahaha. Are you selling the rack idea to someone? Looks like one of those small hitch racks with modified mounting. Do you mount it to the row of open holes on top of the exogate?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yeah I don't see a ton of need for cinder blocks on the trail hahaha. Are you selling the rack idea to someone? Looks like one of those small hitch racks with modified mounting. Do you mount it to the row of open holes on top of the exogate?

No it doesn't use those holes on the Exogate, it's got a different method of mounting that allows for easy vertical adjustment to fit over different size spares. The mount is actually independent of the Exogate and it could be used without the Exogate installed, although for any reasonable load up there the Exogate is a really good idea.

I haven't decided if the rack or the hinge-mounted Hilift carrier for the TJ would be worthwhile commercial products.

Jakes01234

Explorer
I looked at the Bestop highrock rack thing but I didn't want to buy it, spend a day messing with it, scratch it all up, then not be able to return it when I find out it doesn't work. It also only has a 50 lb weight limit.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to the subject of side-mount jerry can holders for the JK that came up a few weeks ago, I've been working on the details of a side-mount for the JK, and the design I've worked up can carry jerry/NATO cans or Rotopax containers. The mount would install with no drilling or modifications to the Jeep. It would look something like this:

JKSideMount1_zpsxonl4wza.jpg

Either two 2-gallon Rotopax containers or one five gallon jerry, NATO or Sceptre can could mount on each side. Unlike on the Africa concept, unmodified cans can be used.

The next step is to fabricate a prototype and install it on my JK, but before I do that I'm posting it here to get any feedback you might have. What do you think of the idea? Any suggestions/comments/criticisms?

Jakes01234

Explorer
Definitely a nice design.
Those fenders must be large. I got a few of the scepter cans in recently and they are larger than I thought they were going to be.
Is it going to attach to the door hinges?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Definitely a nice design.
Those fenders must be large. I got a few of the scepter cans in recently and they are larger than I thought they were going to be.
Is it going to attach to the door hinges?

No, it doesn't attach to the door hinges.

bluehash

Adventurer
Back to the subject of side-mount jerry can holders for the JK that came up a few weeks ago, I've been working on the details of a side-mount for the JK, and the design I've worked up can carry jerry/NATO cans or Rotopax containers. The mount would install with no drilling or modifications to the Jeep. It would look something like this:

JKSideMount1_zpsxonl4wza.jpg

Either two 2-gallon Rotopax containers or one five gallon jerry, NATO or Sceptre can could mount on each side. Unlike on the Africa concept, unmodified cans can be used.

The next step is to fabricate a prototype and install it on my JK, but before I do that I'm posting it here to get any feedback you might have. What do you think of the idea? Any suggestions/comments/criticisms?

No more dimples when taking doors off! hehe

I also like this better than the bar install one. I was going to get the current version...but looks like I'll wait it out. The only thing is now I might have to wait for some time for this version to be released. :bike_rider:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
No more dimples when taking doors off! hehe

I also like this better than the bar install one. I was going to get the current version...but looks like I'll wait it out. The only thing is now I might have to wait for some time for this version to be released. :bike_rider:

You didn't say what model Jeep you have, but the design I posted this morning is only for the JK, it won't fit the TJ/LJ/YJ.

If you're talking about the version shown below (the current version), that fits the TJ/LJ/YJ, it doesn't fit the JK.

CaliforniaPass5_zpsdf373e00.jpg

BTW I am thinking of doing a Rotopax version of the TJ/LJ/YJ side-mount, here's a photo-edit to show with it would look like with a 2-gallon Rotopax container, it would also work with 1-gallon and 1.75-gallon containers. It would hold two containers on each side of the Jeep.

TJSideMountRotopax_zps2qthyllm.jpg

Last edited:

bluehash

Adventurer
You didn't say what model Jeep you have, but the design I posted this morning is only for the JK, it won't fit the TJ/LJ/YJ.

If you're talking about the version shown below (the current version), that fits the TJ/LJ/YJ, it doesn't fit the JK.

Good to know! I have a JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3