Side-mount Jerry can holders

crusaderJK

Adventurer
The next step is to fabricate a prototype and install it on my JK, but before I do that I'm posting it here to get any feedback you might have. What do you think of the idea? Any suggestions/comments/criticisms?
Maybe you could make 2 prototypes and send one my way just to see if they also work on the export models. :D:D

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Maybe you could make 2 prototypes and send one my way just to see if they also work on the export models. :D:D

I probably will make a few prototypes - at the very least, one to test on the left side of the Jeep and one for the right side :D.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input on the JK side mounts everyone. I'll be making up a couple of prototypes next week, I'll post photos once I've got them installed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've designed the JK side mount so it can carry all of the different size Rotopax containers except the 4-gallon (there just isn't enough room on the side of the Jeep for the 4-gallon). Here's what the various sizes look like:

JKSideMount2_zpsrywqfzy9.jpg

Multiple containers can be stacked, so two 2-gallon containers on each side of the Jeep gives 8 gallons total.

I'm also working on a Rotopax mount the bolts to the tailgate hinges, that's shown on the Anvil jeep at the top of the drawing. More on that soon.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've designed the JK side mount so it can carry all of the different size Rotopax containers except the 4-gallon (there just isn't enough room on the side of the Jeep for the 4-gallon). Here's what the various sizes look like:

JKSideMount2_zpsrywqfzy9.jpg

Multiple containers can be stacked, so two 2-gallon containers on each side of the Jeep gives 8 gallons total.

I'm also working on a Rotopax mount the bolts to the tailgate hinges, that's shown on the Anvil jeep at the top of the drawing. More on that soon.

I'm glad you're figuring this out! I'd love to carry a 3 gallon on each side. Keep it up!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made up two prototype JK side mounts today, here are a few photos of the driver's side. I've still got a couple of details to finish on the one for the passenger side, I ran out of time today.

The bracket also includes a place to mount a CB antenna on the driver's side, it's in line with the radio antenna on the passenger side. No drilling was required to install these.

JKSideMountTest1_zpslofle5vt.jpg

JKSideMountTest2_zpsqm8aneqi.jpg

JKSideMountTest3_zpstctbyczd.jpg

I'll finish up the passenger side, and then it'll be time to do some testing with full cans on rough roads.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to the TJ/LJ this morning... I mocked up a side mount Rotopax bracket for the TJ, it mounts on the same receiver mount that the side mount Jerry can carrier uses, only the tray is different.

Here's what it would look like with a 2-gallon Rotopax container:

TJSideSim2_zpscecnvoli.jpg

1-gallon and 1.75 gallon containers could also be carried, here's a simulation of a 1-gallon:

TJSideSim1_zpslqbfdmml.jpg

The mockup is made from black cardstock, and I've done two different side web designs for the tray. I put both on the same mockup, here are photos from each side to show the side designs:

TJSideDesigns_zps1kenoia9.jpg

Which design do you like better? The "solid" sides or the "holey" sides?

Jakes01234

Explorer
I'm installing my side mounts. Are they supposed to be square to the body or at a slight angle?
812982081a52ceb449d2bdfa76ecd458.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm installing my side mounts. Are they supposed to be square to the body or at a slight angle?
They should be parallel to the body. You may need to adjust the position of the frame mounted receiver slightly, also there's a little play in the bolt holes in the bottom of the tray so you can adjust the angle of the tray as well.

Jakes01234

Explorer
Added picture
I would need to add an inch of spacers and then longer bolts would be required.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Added picture
I would need to add an inch of spacers and then longer bolts would be required.

I just took this photo, it shows MORryde parts on my Jeep. The tray mount is parallel to the body.

SideMount_zpsj3cint9f.jpg

Don't know what's going on in your situation, I'd recommend you contact Ryan at MORryde and see what he has to say. It's ryan(dot)wertz(at)morryde.com. He's likely to ask you for a photo from underneath your Jeep to determine what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh