Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Are you going to document the build on here ?.
It would be great to see something else done with the quality you have shown in this build .

Cheers Jim

Don't you worry. He's got people for that kind of thing... :ylsmoke:

Someone will make sure the new build gets another thread on here so Bob can keep on doing what he does best.
(where is the welding smiley-face with the welding helmet?)

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for looking out for me Switawi. And yes Jim it will be on here. I hope to start Monday, but it has been pouring rain here all day so most likely will not get steel today.

Did get confirmation form Overland Expo and will be in either site 52 or 53 I think. Will have further confirmation later today I think.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Took the first order for the trailer, I think the knees are to where I can do it. I hired a young welder to help me. Will be starting on it after the 7th or 8th of May. Headed out tomorrow to do the Kokopellin Trail in Utah and do Cruise Moab. Can hardly wait to get back and get started.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Did the first two days of Kokopelli, then ran into Ace, pulled out and went on to Curise Moab. Did not have any problems with the trailer other than forcing a giant rock into the wheel well right off the bat, bent the fender a little. Got a pretty good banging around for a hundred plus miles and came out unscathed. I averaged a little over 11.7 mpg over the 1900 plus miles, so was quite happy with that. Spent a little over ten days in the unit, worked perfectly, did not use the outdoor shower, never seemed to be time enough in the evenings to set up and then camped at Slick Rock Campgrounds for Cruise Moab, no sense in setting it up there. Will try to get some pictures up when I have time.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Sounds like things are moving along very well. Glad to hear the trailer held up, Not that I ever doubted it would.
Glad you have a helper with all the knee work..

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Trailer was a giant hit at the Overland Expo, spoke with Brian Vickers about being a vendor, will get that taken care of this week I think. Both of us were to busy to do it there I guess as he never made it back or may have just walked by as I had people in front of me 24 7 it seemed.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I got a chance to take a detailed look at this thing @ EXPO. Nothing beats hands on look. If I didn't already have money into my M416, I would be buying one of these. Very well made and rugged. Cannot wait to see the build for #1.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Don, I wish you would have identified yourself, but it was so hectic you may have. I was so tired every evening I hit the sack by 830, and then up at 5am.

Thank you for your positive comments, it has been great fun playing with it. Trying every second to improve it. Set some great deals up at the Expo that puts it in a different lite. Wish I had seen the stuff prior, I would have put it on there. Oh well it was great time and fun meeting all those that came.

STREGA

Explorer
Finally got to see Bob's trailer in person at the Expo and it is Bad ********! Its probably the most balanced off road trailer out there as well as the most durable. I know Bob will be refining it some and it will have awning/tent options which will make it more family friendly also, he already has the wife/gf part covered. His asking price for the trailer is a bargain especially with all the extras it comes with in his base price IMO. I wish he could have gone to the North Rim with Ace and I to see it in action, I did get to see it on the Land Rover test track at the Expo and was behind him on the road up to Flagstaff/Sunset Crater where the trailer displayed good road manners. Anyway, Bob enjoyed hanging with you at/after the Expo and now have a better understanding of trailer dynamics, thanks for the education. Doug and D.W.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Doug, those coments coming from an owner of my competitor truly means a lot. Thank You. Those that have seen the trailer close up realize the difference almost instantly when looking at them. Mine is brazen in your face, take it to the limit, over the falls in a barrel type design. I wanted it to make a statement the instant someone saw it. WHAT IN JELLO is this!!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have some exciting news, just spoke with Brian McVickers of Overland Journal, and should get the vendorship working today. On a more trailer based info, with the idea of continous improvement of the Ouray Base Camp, we have set deals with Rhino Rack and Oztent and our newest addition will be a killer battery system standard in all trailers.
http://www.sunxtender.com/solarbattery.php?id=11

We have located a water tank that holds 35 gallons of water, with the six in the heater, our capacity now reaches over 40 gallons of water on board, again just above the axle for stable towing. This will give the expeditioneer the range and time most will ever need. We will also be mounting our propane bottle on the side, but will go to the ten gallon size to match the water, solar and fuel.

We are looking at a 10 gallon 12 volt fue cell, as it should mount under the trailer next to the new 5 gallong gray water holding tank.

Many new changes, that will be covered in the base price of the trailer.

This is an American made trailer using 95% American products, top of the line products so your travels will be safe and secure.

Hope to have pictures of the new Fox Wing and Oztent, Rhino rack up in a few days.

Enigma

Observer
I was able to see this trailer in person at Moab, beautiful work. My only "bad" thought on it at the time was that it was limited to two people, for us family folk with little ones, but it sounds like you might have this covered now with the awning and oztent?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, it will be a real base camp for certain. We will be calling the family model the Wolfcreek Pack.. I love the state of Colorado and thought that was an appropriate name. It will come with the OzTent RV2 and the Fox Wing, and Cabellas top of the line shower enclosure.

I met with my investor/financial advisor. He says things need to change with the way I am marketing the trailer. He has shopped the main competition and feels what I have is superior in every category, other than the fine details. He wants me to work on those, which some of his comments were already in the works. He says that the trailer is way under priced and that needs to be corrected instantly. I have not decided what to do on that side yet.

I offer far more than anyone else, I build a much stronger trailer, that is far more trail worthy than other tear drops we feel. But still considerably less cost. I will look into what I need to do.

But as stated I am very excited about the additions that happened at Expo. The Austrailians really liked my trailer, and I was very happy about that. Chris Cole from Campa trailers called it a true Austrailian Tear Drop if anyone there built one. He was very impressed with it and was very kind to spend quite awhile talking trailers with me. We had a great evening. His ideas about trailers and how they should be set up was very close to my ideas. Weight distribution was a key thing we had in common.

Again thank you for the kind remarks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy