Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Glad to hear.

I am happy to hear that everything went ok.

Would you tell me about you water tank. As it turns out, I went the same route you did, under the trailer between the rails.
Who made your tank for you?
I could not find what I needed, so I had my stainless steel guy make me a tank to my spec's.
Only he won't let me pay for it and I am uncomfortable with my subs doing things foe me for free.
I wound up with 28 gallons and I will have places for two auxiliary tanks.
The FWC only carries 12 gallons, but I don't have a HWH and a shower.
Hard to figure when enough is enough.

Jeff

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hi Bob,

Glad things went well...hope your out and about soon, and feeling 16 again...:smiley_drive:

well...

at least in the knees.....:ylsmoke:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Off to see the Doc for post op appointment. Rode my stationary bike 17 miles day before yesterday, will ride my mountain bike at the park this afternoon and go go kart racing tonight. Needless to say I am feeling pretty good. Get the stitches out today to. Will get some idea of how long before I can really be a welder hopefully. I have a trailer to build so need to get it started. Looks like the only one I will build before the FJ Summit, as I am on the road most of the month of May.

Let you know where I am at when I get back this evening.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
trailer

Okay, I have been running like chicken with its head cut off. I am months ahead on recovery, have been riding the mountain bike every single day doing between 5 and 15 miles, hitting Rehab every other day. I have near complete motion of both legs, but have considerable pain in the right one. Looking forward to starting a new trailer this week. Thanks for all the kind words and wishes.

With the recovery going so well, we will be doing the Kokopelli trail, then on to Cruise Moab and the Overland expo.

Timbren. I am not impressed with them so far, not saying they will not work, but you will have to double the frame strenght on the main rails if you use the 3000 pound axle and below, I think that is the cut off. Above that they have cross member that attaches to both frame rails. Bolting one on each side is asking for trouble with the size of wheels and tires we use. To much leverage and torque I think. The Alko and Dexter connect to the main frame rails with a cross member, which makes the trailer much stronger and no chance of twisting the frame.

If your trailer is under a 1000 pounds and use less then 31 inch tires, you might be ablet to get away with them, not sure. I have never tested them. Just my thoughts after looking at them a year or so ago.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
You would be very wise to run the crossmember. Just too much torque with the size of wheels and tires we normally put on trailers.

Sent in my application to be a exhibitor at Overland Expo, waiting on Paypal confirmation I guess. Hopefully will be allowed in.

STREGA

Explorer
Good to hear that the rehab is going so well, now I won't be able to keep up with you.

I'am pretty sure the Expo will let you in, I just got a email from them with a list of the current comfirmed vendors and they need more trailer vendors IMO, yours should get a lot of attention there, it would be a great venue for you.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I just recieved an email from the lady in charge, she will be calling me tomorrow with information. I am hoping that all ends positive tomorrow. I will be a vendor/exhibitor at Cruise Moab. The trailer will have done quite a few miles by them. I am guessing I have a little over 10K on it now, doing everything I can imagine to test it. So far everything is working perfectly except for two electrical outlets. Will check those out in the morning. I have been working on the wiring loom for production. It is looking good.

Doing Kokopelli will be fun, and I bought a new GoPro to film as much of as possible of the trip. Then will do a bunch of trails in Moab, but will need some guidance on what not to do. Ace Brown will help with that. We may do the grand staircase the week after Cruise Moab and then head to the Expo. Hopefully by then I will have another couple of thousand miles on it.

The knees are where I can almost kneel on them so welding is just around the corner. The steel should arrive Monday for the new trailer, so will start it before I head back to Colorado. Will post new photos and pictures of jigs for build. Really getting excited about this. Should start taking orders the first of May.

TacoDell

Adventurer
congratulations to you for the successful knee surgery...
wish you well in the recovery of 100% :)

look forward to following the new build

rockman

Adventurer
Are you going to document the build on here ?.
It would be great to see something else done with the quality you have shown in this build .

Cheers Jim

skibum315

Explorer
It was good to chat yesterday, Bob ... I'm really looking forward to checking the prototype out in person. I'll also be very curious to hear the trip report from Kokopelli and Moab, once you've gotten a chance to catch your breath afterwards.

I'm sure you'll get the Overland Expo stuff figured out, and that this trailer will generate quite the buzz ... I also can't wait to see the next production start taking shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3