Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
well..

I must say I'm nothing short of impressed....

The graphics looks great, especially the American Flag!! (what the hell is that H thing? :ylsmoke:)

lots of eye candy guys...thanks for the pix RJ, and great job Bob!!:luxhello:

bob

Adventurer
Thanks for the great ideas, I will look at the idea of under the window. Out of the way and does not interfer with the look of the trailer. This seems to be taking off more than I had thought. I have been towing it around and everywhere I go people are interrested in it. I had it a Bass Pro Shop yesterday and came out and had 7-8 guys and 2 women looking at it. Fishing, hunting, mommy loves, can go any where, feel more secure than a tent, no damned ladder, were the comments.

I am leaving in the morning for Julian Expoberfest. This is a group of Overlanders as I understand. I am sure I will get a lot of great ideas for the future. I truly think you guys comments have guided me in the right direction. Hoping to meet all of you and buy you a beer or a Coke. You have kept me motivated.

I have built over 300 trailers in my life, and this is the one I have enjoyed the most, I think it is different than any I have made and has an appeal to any and all. You guys have proven that to me.

Again thankyou for all your help and comments. Means a lot to have other eyes on a project like this. To Scully and Don, true friends I appreciate all you have done to help me, and keep me moving forward.

Enough of the mushy crap, back to work.

loren85022

Explorer
Astonishing. Sign me up for #00002. Can you pls spec the frig tray? Do you pump the gray water straight to the aux tank on the ext? when you did the graphics, did you cover the whole side panel, or cut out the edge of the tread?

Could you also let me know if any of your neighbors have their house for sale pls..

bob

Adventurer
The tray is an ARB, I have heard there is a new type. This is an older one. Very simple and works perfectly. The tank will be removed and put under the trailer, gravity will be the power.

I am not certain what you mean on the graphics.

It is the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tread, on a two foot wide role. Cut and picked on the trailer.. Property for sale all around us, come on down.

wikid

Adventurer
Here's a few more pics of the new items, including placement of the Rotopaks
Newboxonrotopaxattachedpopupwithcoretraxsandflatpan006.jpg

Painted tank and new storage box on fender
Newboxonrotopaxattachedpopupwithcoretraxsandflatpan007.jpg

I'm liking the storage box
Newboxonrotopaxattachedpopupwithcoretraxsandflatpan003.jpg

Newboxonrotopaxattachedpopupwithcoretraxsandflatpan001.jpg

A few observations on my part
It will show better if the tank is deleted from the fender, for pictures and display, but keep it as equipment needed for trips. may be have it set up under the trailer, when actually showing it

The Rotopaks is much better on the spare tire, but I would incorporate it behind the tire. on the next build. No sense in doing it now. I think it just gets the concept out there.

The graphics could potentially be adjusted, so they aren't running under the storage box on the fender. You could even make them go higher than the tank too. It will show better and not look like an afterthought. These are suggestions to tweak an already solid design. More for cosmetic affect than anything else. I do understand when you create, thoughts come up and timelines create conflicts.
You, my friend are on to a very nice, functional off-road package.
Very exciting to see a new direction.

Thanks
Don

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Rotopax looks pretty sharp there and adds some visual oomph, but I agree it should probably go behind the spare in the next generation. Having to take one thing off to get to another can be a pain sometimes. Maybe a Hi-Lift mount on the front of the spare? The two reasons I can think of for this are 1: So the owner doesn't have to carry around a Hi-Lift everyday if their tow vehicle doesn't absolutely need one, and Dos: If you have a flat you're gonna need both the jack and the spare anyway, right?
Also agreed on the graphics in relation to the fender storage box, but I really like both. I didn't realize just how wide the fenders were until I saw the storage box. That looks nicely-sized for straps/recovery gear or just what-have-you.
As for the tank, I think I liked it better on the left rear fender from the previous set of pictures when he was trying out different placements. That didn't interfere with the graphics and it gave all those access points another layer of cover from flying debris or tree snags.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
The fenders are 15 inches wide. That gives me room for 35-37 wheels and tires. And a tremendous amount of room on the outside of the trailer to put things.

the comments are spot on, but as you move along you learn things. The tank, which is for grey water, fits the trailer better there and the generator fits better in the back, when you are tying them down. I will incorperate a regular holding tank in the next one. I have room for one now, but making the rear bumper 2X2 versus 4X4 will allow a good sized tank. Just had never thought about it before. I will have to put a pump on it doing that, which adds to the cost most likely a couple of hundred dollars. Also would need a skid plate as it would go through the floor.

Most just drain grey water on the ground. I am not into that, but the shower drains on the ground, so I guess it is okay.

I doubt the production trailers will have a spare on them unless ordered that way. Most likely a jet ski box on the front, additional batteries, solar cables, hose, chocks and other items. That is what the side box is for now. Plus the jet ski box is a lot cheaper than the locking side box.

I will mount the rotopax in front of the trailer along the bottom. I like that idea alot, but do not have room to do it on this one.

Again thanks guys, great ideas and comments.

Bob

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I don't know....the thing seems kinda shoddy put together if you know what I mean.....:coffeedrink::friday:
Hehehe........you guys are totally gettingme to change my mind about trailers.....damn that's sweet.......u rock!:Wow1:

bob

Adventurer
Well the trailer made its maiden voyage this weekend. Everything worked perfectly and it towed perfectly. It is warm and quiet inside. I parked less than 50 yards from the main campfire, which ran until 1am. Never heard a sound as I hit the rack at 9pm. I opened the window at about 1230 and could hear faint sounds coming from the fire ring..

Generator ran everything, DVD worked well. Did not even use covers in the trailer. Got down to low 40's I was told.

I did find a small design flaw in the water tank. Being low I never considered how high the fill should be. On a very steep rock incline I noticed that the water was running out of the vent tube. Will need to find a plug for that and on the production trailers make the fill entry above the hot water heater door.

A couple more things to do to it and off to Anza Borrego next weekend. Pismo after that. Hopefully Don will post pictures, he still has not taught me how to use photo bucket. Tonight I hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven