Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

How much weight can the fenders hold if they cannot be stepped on?

Not sure what the weight rating is. I step on mine all the time while setting up and have never had an issue. But I am careful getting on and off. I weigh 220lbs. so I would say they can take some weight just not sure about when you add movement to the weight.

jojackc

So guys that have added battery systems to the front tongue box. Did you add a Battery vent to it? Or am I just getting way overboard with my thinking. I didn't go AGM because the way I look at it all batteries go bad, and the extra time I got with AGM batteries in my boat did not calculate to saving coin. They say wet cell batteries should be vented. Just not sure how vented lol.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
So guys that have added battery systems to the front tongue box. Did you add a Battery vent to it? Or am I just getting way overboard with my thinking. I didn't go AGM because the way I look at it all batteries go bad, and the extra time I got with AGM batteries in my boat did not calculate to saving coin. They say wet cell batteries should be vented. Just not sure how vented lol.

No vent on mine. AGM. Very little gas with them. Wet cells, They vent or breathe a bit more but not sure if it still would warrant a vent.

john61ct

Adventurer
Really surprised that a trailer that is purchased new doesn't come with a VIN. Here in WA state the inspection for a homemade trailer is a complete joke, just a money grab.
I find it weird you complain about that.

Fees and taxes are necessary, perfectly valid and accepted revenue stream for states.

If they disallowed creativity in sourcing our build platforms, the overall cost would be much higher.

A given state being less restrictive should elicit gratitude

YYCRod

I mounted my 2x 6V golf cart (230 amps total) wet cell batteries in the generator compartment with all my other electrical equipment. A year and a half of use and no problem to date. I do crack the door when charging via solar or shore power.

jays0n

Adventurer
I find it weird you complain about that.

Fees and taxes are necessary, perfectly valid and accepted revenue stream for states.

If they disallowed creativity in sourcing our build platforms, the overall cost would be much higher.

A given state being less restrictive should elicit gratitude

Huh, not really complaining at all. I understand fees and taxes when you get something for them. Creating a process for registering homemade trailers and calling it a safety inspection that they don't actually perform means this is literally just what you said, a revenue stream. Our state has a 10.5% sales tax, some of the highest property taxes in the country, insane liquor and cigarette taxes and the tax on recreational marijuana is somewhere around 50%. I think our state does just fine in the revenue stream department.

They shouldn't call it a safety inspection but a Homemade Trailer Tax instead.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Not sure what the weight rating is. I step on mine all the time while setting up and have never had an issue. But I am careful getting on and off. I weigh 220lbs. so I would say they can take some weight just not sure about when you add movement to the weight.

Thanks I ask because I have read not to use the fender as a step.

jojackc

Thanks I ask because I have read not to use the fender as a step.

Ya it says that in the Manuel. I am by no means telling you nothing will happen if you do. But just saying I do and haven't had any issues lol. Plus some of the other guys on here have mounted extra storage boxes on them and I think there was a photo earlier of someone keeping water containers on them. Water is 8lbs a gallon and they where 6 gallon containers. So that's 96lbs.

jojackc

I mounted my 2x 6V golf cart (230 amps total) wet cell batteries in the generator compartment with all my other electrical equipment. A year and a half of use and no problem to date. I do crack the door when charging via solar or shore power.

Ya that's when I'm worried about it, is when charging. A bought a NOCO external outlet for the trailer for charging the batteries. Kind of defeats the purpose if I'm opening the box anyhow lol.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I bought late February from Northridge and was told late April also.
Crazy they have no idea when these trailers will be delivered . Sounds like one of the many fly by night companies taking twice the mone these trailers are worth and telling the customer sometime in a couple of years.

Whats wrong with the answer late april? They know when they left the dock from China, then its the normal 3-4 week boat ride, sometimes longer depending on US customs which is out of their control. I've had product stuck in customs for almost a month, sometimes their inspections are very thorough , even down the checking the imprints on wiring insulation.

And everyone about a VIN, all the new trailers are only sold complete so they have a VIN. This also means they might be imported into Canada.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL