Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Ha! Yes, the smaller Dometic was a freezer with liquor and ice cream in it.

Thanks! The road shower was probably the easiest thing to mount on the trailer. Mine is the 7 gallon as well and it is mounted using the provided bolts to the tent arm. I don't believe I had to drill anything, just utilized the existing holes on the arms. I did have to lift it slightly so I put industrial packing foam between it and the trailer.

So the Yakima Backswing is working out in a sense that it is sturdy and can hold the load no problem with no play. Neither bouncing up and down the beach, nor the amazing Mexican roads made it swing or loosen. I am still not excited about the departure angle of the trailer with it on, but I may just keep it on as it helps to offset the tongue weight a bit more. Also it is modular in a sense that I can take the tire off, slide it between the tent and trailer and use the Backswing to hold our bikes. I'm looking forward to see yours mounted. And yes, we have it good here in the US with the parts availability which is interesting since China, where most parts are made, is much closer to you.

Thanks . I forgot the Road Shower has two sets of mounting tracks. Did you reinforce the rear receiver on the trailer to accommodate the weight of the tire and backswing? Looks like you just used a simple hitch mounted tire carrier on the backswing. Much cheaper set up than a Wilco swing out carrier.

mmrocek

Observer
Thanks . I forgot the Road Shower has two sets of mounting tracks. Did you reinforce the rear receiver on the trailer to accommodate the weight of the tire and backswing? Looks like you just used a simple hitch mounted tire carrier on the backswing. Much cheaper set up than a Wilco swing out carrier.

The rear trailer receiver has to be relocated further to the passenger side and about 2 inches down. I had a shop do all the welding and just added a new, reinforced receiver where it needed to be. You already know the Yakima Backswing, and I added this Kurt spare tire carrier (https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Curt/C31006.html) It is cheaper, though not as clean looking. But it is modular.

Other option that I have considered and might have gone with if I did it again is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-76651-Classic-Bumper-Carrier/dp/B000JKM7ZM or similar tire carry bumper for YJ. Looks like All that would be needed is extending the frame of the trailer to tie into this. And it would be flush and even cheaper than my option.

Fullkontact

Anyone with this trailer use it on a Tacoma? If so what did you use hutch wise to raise the hitch so it rides level without the trailer looking like it’s going to dig into the ground?

Fullkontact

ha - I recognize your username! I actually talked to the Overland PRO guys at the expo to complain about the million poles and they have a new redesigned version, mine is the old one. The new one has only a handful - and it's even more sturdy than mine... if it helps! He did not want to give me a free upgrade, LOL.

I would bring my trailer, but I still need to get me an offroad hitch like the lock n roll. I still have the regular 2" ball and apparently it's not recommended for off-road abuse according to Smittybilt.
It’s too bad that Smittybilt doesn’t offer another hitch option or come with two types when you buy the trailer. Man that would be useful

mmrocek

Observer
Anyone with this trailer use it on a Tacoma? If so what did you use hutch wise to raise the hitch so it rides level without the trailer looking like it’s going to dig into the ground?

I also have a 2016 Taco TRDOR but have never used the trailer with it. Actually the taco has been not very reliable, leaving me stranded a couple times but that's for another thread/time... I guess I should figure out what it would take to use the trailer on it should I need it. Is yours stock or lifted?

mmrocek

Observer
I have the max coupler and am very happy with it... I'm thinking for the Taco I would probably run this with the right side on the trailer side and maybe a minor raised ball mount on the truck side:

thardin68

I have the max coupler and am very happy with it... I'm thinking for the Taco I would probably run this with the right side on the trailer side and maybe a minor raised ball mount on the truck side:

View attachment 519264
Very cool, thanks for pointing that out. I have a JKU running 37" tires and a Clayton Long Arm kit with 4" rear springs and going to add airbags for leveling. I have a new set of King 2.5" coilovers for the front to replace the 14" 2.0's on there now (for overland travel rather than rock-crawling) so the front is adjustable. I was concerned that since I am running matching wheels and tires on the Jeep, I would have a downward angle at the front based on your pics with the Procomp tires. I am going to grab this adjustable hitch for sure as I am not sure what my hitch height will be. I run the PS BFH rear bumber, but am adding some structure and a hitch to the Jeep now, after cutting out the original crossmember to mount the BFH bumpers. Anyway, seems we are running fairly similar rigs, so I'll be following along with your updates a bit more closely..... Thanks for the info.....

mmrocek

Observer
Very cool, thanks for pointing that out. I have a JKU running 37" tires and a Clayton Long Arm kit with 4" rear springs and going to add airbags for leveling. I have a new set of King 2.5" coilovers for the front to replace the 14" 2.0's on there now (for overland travel rather than rock-crawling) so the front is adjustable. I was concerned that since I am running matching wheels and tires on the Jeep, I would have a downward angle at the front based on your pics with the Procomp tires. I am going to grab this adjustable hitch for sure as I am not sure what my hitch height will be. I run the PS BFH rear bumber, but am adding some structure and a hitch to the Jeep now, after cutting out the original crossmember to mount the BFH bumpers. Anyway, seems we are running fairly similar rigs, so I'll be following along with your updates a bit more closely..... Thanks for the info.....

Yeah, you should be sitting pretty level with the trailer. But the above max coupler should take care of any adjustments. Glad I could help.

Fullkontact

I also have a 2016 Taco TRDOR but have never used the trailer with it. Actually the taco has been not very reliable, leaving me stranded a couple times but that's for another thread/time... I guess I should figure out what it would take to use the trailer on it should I need it. Is yours stock or lifted?
Mine has BP-51’s on it which about a 2.5” lift but when I first towed it home it was still sitting pretty low and now where near level. I would need something to bring it up about 3-4”

Hoologan

I have the lifted Tundra and it's still too low for the trailer so I built a drop tongue and use a 2" raised Lock N' Roll hitch

Excuse the mess (I cleaned up last weekend)

Here's how it sits hitched up (pre-Lock N' Roll).

Fullkontact

Fullkontact

misubisu

Where did you get the gas struts from amd what strength and size did you use?
I bought them from a local company here in Australia (Gas Struts Australia).
They have a 340mm travel and are around 700mm fully extended.
I calculated that I would need around 340mm of travel based on how far Intend to raise and lower the tent.
The strength that I clculated is useless to you... unless you are using the same tent and awning.
I took the tent and awning off and weighed the four corners to see how heavy they are.
Each corner was a different weight, so my 4 struts are all different pressures.
If you only have a tent, you just get the weight of the tent and add on a few kg for the weight of the metal frame it’s attached to and divide it by 4 for the weight each strut will need to handle. I calculate at 10.2N for each 1kg of weight and it’s amost perfect (arrived at this formula after researching the topic). My awning is very heavy and weighs almost as much as the tent. It’s also vey long as its a wrap around awning, so the weight is not evenly balanced (hence the need for 4 different strut pressures).
Hope this explanation helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL