Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

xtrmoverland

I bought the Part# 76856-02, but when it came it did not come with pivot or latch bracket. What pivot did you use? did you have to fabricate the latch bracket yourself?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I bought the Part# 76856-02, but when it came it did not come with pivot or latch bracket. What pivot did you use? did you have to fabricate the latch bracket yourself?

Not sure who you are asking, nd about what. In case it is me, and you are referring to the tire swing, then I would have to go back and look in the thread, but Smitty send me two boxes. Sorta like two boxes to cover two different types of jeeps. The swing mechanism was featured in one box only.

xtrmoverland

Not sure who you are asking, nd about what. In case it is me, and you are referring to the tire swing, then I would have to go back and look in the thread, but Smitty send me two boxes. Sorta like two boxes to cover two different types of jeeps. The swing mechanism was featured in one box only.

thank you for the reply, i was referring to your build. i found several hinge kit that might fit, but i was just wondering if Smittybilt sent me a box with missing pivot hinge and latch bracket...the carrier is heavy, how does it affect the stability of trailer when pulling on highway?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
thank you for the reply, i was referring to your build. i found several hinge kit that might fit, but i was just wondering if Smittybilt sent me a box with missing pivot hinge and latch bracket...the carrier is heavy, how does it affect the stability of trailer when pulling on highway?

It does not affect it at all. On the contrary it balances the trailer better by removing a large weight over your tongue. I spend most of the time around 65-75 mph. Before we got the 2018 f150 we used our 2017 escape with a 2l turbo.
It behaves beautifully. Pulls straight. No fishtail whatsoever. I suspect the loaded weight of mine is just around 2000 pounds.
I think I listed the part numbers earlier. The Kitsap are a bit of a mystery to me as I had some parts, in the two big boxes, that were solo..... and some others that were repeated in each box. Unfortunately the swing mechanism was one of them.

jojackc

This is a great idea, will you give more detail on what you bought and how you modified it? thanks

Here are links to the two pieces I purchased:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-ball-mount-66966.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/60-Foldi...uggage-Rack-Hitch-Hauler-2-Receiver/286790008

Not sure if the folding cargo carrier is the exact one. I think there was another brand in the store that I can't find online. I thought it was cheaper then this one. Anyhow so the few things I changed to make this into a tire carrier was first I cut off the piece for the ball mount on the harbor freight mount. Then I put together the folding cargo carrier but didn't mount the basket. Then I drilled holes in the bar on the cargo carrier and tire holder that came with the shipping container the trailer came in. Attached them together. Then I put the harbor freight mount into the trailer hitch receiver and bolted it in. Then bolted the walmart cargo carrier to that. Fun part was lifting the tire onto the mount lol.

TxFireman

Hey guys, I've been popping into this thread off and on for a while. I finally pulled the trigger on a scout back in July. I really like checking out what everyone is doing with their scouts. I just saw these pics on facebook this morning, and thought I'd post it as a heads up. It's not my scout, but it does show a weakness concern most will surely want to address. I don't have any doubt that smittybilt will send this guy a new tongue, but I know myself and anyone else would rather avoid this whole mess to begin with. That's not something I want to deal with on a trail somewhere. Again, not my pics or trailer, just throwing them out there so everyone can evaluate this break and correct as you see fit.

I'm adding this comment from the facebook post from the owner of this trailer:

"A heads up to anyone considering a Smittybilt Scout trailer. My two month old scout broke in half driving down a gravel road. I have not spoken with Smittybilt yet but will be making that call very soon."

smit 1.pngsmit 2.pngsmit 3.pngsmit 4.png

Last edited:

xtrmoverland

TxFireman, i sent Smittybilt an email inquiring about this issue. i just bought my Scout trailer a week ago and would definitely want to make sure they are aware of this and that it is addressed before i receive my order. i encourage all of you Scout trailer owners to let Smittybilt know your concern so Smittybilt can address this and not have to deal with this in your own overlanding trip.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I saw this on a Facebook group were some took upon themselves to bash this trailer manufacture for its unfortunate issue. I know of 2 people who own these & have great reviews for this trailer. IMO if this was a manufactures problem I would think we've been hearing or seeing on post about this issues long ago. I have no real solid answer to give why this happen & I will not speculate either. I own Smittybilt Products myself & haven't had any issues with them. I've talk with Smittybilt on their products & customer service seems to be good & friendly when I hope his issue will be solved & answered. Sorry this happen.

TxFireman

TxFireman, i sent Smittybilt an email inquiring about this issue. i just bought my Scout trailer a week ago and would definitely want to make sure they are aware of this and that it is addressed before i receive my order. i encourage all of you Scout trailer owners to let Smittybilt know your concern so Smittybilt can address this and not have to deal with this in your own overlanding trip.

Smittybilt's customer service has always been good in my experience. Please let us know what they say. When I get a chance I want to sit down and write something as well. More than likely though, I will break out the welder and see about preventing this with the current tongue. The main issue I see is the lack of the center tube going from the hitch straight through the whole tongue. That and the break in those pictures looks like the welds were ground down flush, too flush, for the design. The added plate on the side isn't enough to stop the failure. It needs to be beefed up there, and some better supports added to the tongue. Without walking out and looking at my scout, I'm pretty sure the parking brake set up may create an issue for just a normal straight through tube to the tub of the trailer. but maybe a Y around the brake lever and then running straight back from there would be reasonably strong? I will certainly be looking it over.

His pivot and latch plate came from a TJ bumper. I hit up smittybilt to do the same swing out and was told to buy #76654hdw. It seemed to me like they knew exactly who i was talking about when i called them.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I'm glad to hear this that Smittybilt is looking into this & handling all issues seriously & professionally. I figured they would as any business would.

xtrmoverland

this is very commendable gesture and business decision...although i am quite looking forward to having my Scout trailer to get out and overland, i am glad that Smittybilt is stepping up and taking care of their reputation...love it! definitely will wait for a better product coming out from this company...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal