Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Hoologan

Water project done. The basis of the project came mostly from RWB_Runner post way back on page 9 of this thread.

From Smittybilt representive! The original design was in front of the trailing arms. It hung too low and added some tongue weigh, which I didnt like. It was just over 15 gallons. … it was quite expensive to produce. If I were to do one, I'd put it in between the trailing arms, as far reward as possible. This basically puts the load slight reward of the axle line. I had it plumbed with a 12 volt on demand pump. 18x18 x 7 would fit nicely and give you about 9.8 gallons. I would have the fill port in the middle so that a hole could be placed between the rear sliding drawers"

We used a 10-gallon tank 17x14x10. We will do a couple of trips and have some ideas on how to expand if our missions dictate the need for more. I did take Habitat's idea of a faucet. I would have waited for their solution but already used my generator box for my electrical setup and liked the idea of less tongue weight. We decided to put the tank less water heater away from under the tent or the front. Instead of trying to pipe another connection from the propane tank in the front, will just use a propane bottle. Still looking how to mount on the back door also. The picture from underneath is not very good, but you may be able to see that the tank is out of the way of the suspension and relatively protected. We did put on a thin sheet of aluminum as a rock guard. It won,t pass a skid plate, but it would have to be very unusual to see a scenario where you would need it in that exact location.

Now, get those brackets on and off to Big Sur in a couple of weeks!
View attachment 504331View attachment 504332View attachment 504333View attachment 504334View attachment 504335View attachment 504341

Nice. This is exactly where I'm going to mount my water tank. I found a 12gal tank that measures 17" x 17" x 11". Water heater inside the genny door like Habitat did.

bobebm

Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing. Just ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon!

Before you get going, let me share a couple of challenges we had.

1. 10 gallons may not be enough. Hoologan mentioned he found a 17x17 water tank. I saw the same one but the price difference was so big for the additional 2 gallons I decided on the 10 gallon tank. If I had to do it again, I would bite the bullet for the more expensive water tank.

2. I had a real challenge with the water intake. First you will lose about 2 inches in the far back of the storage area (towards the front actually) because of the hoses. Second was the attempt to cut down the length (inlet plus elbow for the 1 1/4 hose) to 3 inches so it would be within the same distance of the eye rings and not block any storage (Fridge in my case). I tried cutting, melting, double hose clamps and time after time, it would break. I surrendered to the idea of managing the storage in back to go under the set up. The other issue is the inlet does an immediate 90 degree turn, it was difficult adding water at any fast rate without it back splashing out. My possible solution is to use a small section of left over 1/2 hose and connect to a garden hose connection. I would manually insert the hose so it bypasses the first corner. I think this will work.

There maybe a better solution regarding the water intake. Everything else works awesome, but it was a lot of work. Have fun and hope you can learn from these challenges.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
50 watt solar panel installed with 2 inch velcro.
Note the gaps on the top and bottom.
I am trying to keep the panel cool with a little convection circulation. About 5mm high.

Notacon

i would really l
It’s called the Quick Pitch ensuite from South Africa. The US imprter is in Seattle (can’t remember their name unfortunately)

View attachment 455534
Folded up, it takes no space. It is the black bag below the green foxwing bag.

It takes a few seconds to deploy and gives loads of space. Here it is deployed.
View attachment 455535
i would really like to see the arm you built for the en suite, looking to do the same type of thing

Notacon

Before you get going, let me share a couple of challenges we had.

1. 10 gallons may not be enough. Hoologan mentioned he found a 17x17 water tank. I saw the same one but the price difference was so big for the additional 2 gallons I decided on the 10 gallon tank. If I had to do it again, I would bite the bullet for the more expensive water tank.

2. I had a real challenge with the water intake. First you will lose about 2 inches in the far back of the storage area (towards the front actually) because of the hoses. Second was the attempt to cut down the length (inlet plus elbow for the 1 1/4 hose) to 3 inches so it would be within the same distance of the eye rings and not block any storage (Fridge in my case). I tried cutting, melting, double hose clamps and time after time, it would break. I surrendered to the idea of managing the storage in back to go under the set up. The other issue is the inlet does an immediate 90 degree turn, it was difficult adding water at any fast rate without it back splashing out. My possible solution is to use a small section of left over 1/2 hose and connect to a garden hose connection. I would manually insert the hose so it bypasses the first corner. I think this will work.

There maybe a better solution regarding the water intake. Everything else works awesome, but it was a lot of work. Have fun and hope you can learn from these challenges.
I did a 30 gallon tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online