Snorkel Wars

rwhockey29

what are yalls thoughts on this? ive seen one or two others like this, got the idea from tractors actually. ramcharger has a naturally low sitting air intake, and while i dont do any high water crossings, i do hit some big mud pits and water puddles. i want the intake up higher, but i dont need a huge snorkel up the side of the windshield. just enough to keep waves/splashes out of the way.

snorkel.jpg

im thinking cut out a hole in the hood(the black part in the picture) and run something similar to this:

http://image.truckinweb.com/f/17564...ra_buildup+xdi_intake_canister_and_filter.jpg

a canister type intake, mounted vertically out of the hole in the hood. just high enough to keep water out, but not so high that it can get broken by branches and the like.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
what are yalls thoughts on this? ive seen one or two others like this, got the idea from tractors actually. ramcharger has a naturally low sitting air intake, and while i dont do any high water crossings, i do hit some big mud pits and water puddles. i want the intake up higher, but i dont need a huge snorkel up the side of the windshield. just enough to keep waves/splashes out of the way.

snorkel.jpg

im thinking cut out a hole in the hood(the black part in the picture) and run something similar to this:

http://image.truckinweb.com/f/17564...ra_buildup+xdi_intake_canister_and_filter.jpg

a canister type intake, mounted vertically out of the hole in the hood. just high enough to keep water out, but not so high that it can get broken by branches and the like.

Check out TeriAnn's post on page 20. She's done something similar to what you've suggested.

- Andrew.

rwhockey29

Check out TeriAnn's post on page 20. She's done something similar to what you've suggested.

- Andrew.

ah. thanks, completely missed that post. i was hoping to keep it lower, and actually on the hood tho. the top parts of ramcharger fenders arent wide enough to run a snorkel through. ill definitely be pulling some ideas from TeriAnn's though.

scrubber3

Not really here
So uuhh I have a snorkel on it's way to me as we speak. I saw on here that it picks up chicks and well, I just had to have one. :)

rwhockey29

If you obscure vision some state's LEOs won't be too happy with you. Why not just move or duct air inlet up higher under the hood?

with the way im thinking of doing it, it wouldnt even stick up higher then the front of the hood, from my line of sight in the driver seat.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
So uuhh I have a snorkel on it's way to me as we speak. I saw on here that it picks up chicks and well, I just had to have one. :)

thats how i got my wife!

i originally got it for two reasons: clean air, and it makes my smile. i bought it at a time when i needed to smile.

scrubber3

Not really here
thats how i got my wife!

i originally got it for two reasons: clean air, and it makes my smile. i bought it at a time when i needed to smile.

Awesome!! See guys Snorkel=Wife..... Wait a minute, maybe I don't need a snorkel after all. lol Okay, seriously though I think that's cool and yeah, I need a smile too. Hopefully no one will call it a gay hand though. :)

enzo

Explorer
99% of the justification for a snorkel is appearance. Lets just be honest with ourselves.

But that 1% of the time. . . I am glad I have it.
2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1563.JPG

D7_18.JPG

What kind of tip is that on the snorkel in the 2nd pic? Is that one better for dusty conditions or something?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
it is called a precleaner, and allows the dirt/dust to settle- after being above the majority of the dust to start.

TxRider

Observer
I think the US military HMMWV (aka, the Hum-vee) is rated to 5 feet. The civilian version to 3 feet.

As for every other vehicle, I have no idea.

Yeah, I've got nothing useful to add besides reviving the dead.

My '53 M37 is rated to 7 feet fording depth, with the fording kit installed, 4 feet without the fording kit.

But it also came with waterproof ignition and distributor, water tight crank case ventilation, water tight fuel tank vented to the air intake and water tight diff vents etc.

But at 7 feetyou would have to open up the canvas top and drive standing up to keep your head above water... ;) at 4 feet without the snorkels you would be tush deep in water in the cab.

Someone else's M37 here, but you can see the factory intake and exhaust snorkels in this pic.

main.php

Gren_T

Adventurer
I found a high level intake helped reduce the crap my LR 300tdi airfilter by a huge amount as I change all filters every 3months I could see the diffrence. however I started to notice the perforated surround on the filter were showing signs of corrosion.:eek: water getting in?

I resealed the pipework & replaced the ram top with a cyclone top and it's made a huge improvement, the photo below shows how much rain was sucked into the cyclone after a 60 mile trip in heavy rain.
the filters are almost as clean as new and where I greased the inside of the filter housing to trap the loose stuff that is also clean.

The cyclone sucks air in from underneath so imagine how much water was getting into the air intake when the ram top was facing forward.
and i get to watch flies and crap wizz around as I drive:smiley_drive:

cyclone filter (1).jpg

regards all
Gren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad