Snow Peak BBQ Box

Sirocco

Explorer
sirocco, thats alot like son of hibatchi http://www.sonofhibachi.com/. i dont own one but have used one and they are great little items.

I think thats what they were called in the US and "Grilleto" here in Europe. They come in a cool "snuff" bag but due to having cast parts rather than Alu are very heavy. My SSG has lasted well, very happy with it for a cheap piece of kit.

Been reading about Manifold cookers on this forum... Think thats the next step :)

G

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I have visited this thread so many times and finally broke down today to buy one of these grills and the single action long table!!! Can't wait for Baja in Jan. to use it all. I was going to buy from EE as usual, but found that backcountry.com had one of each on their geartrader.com website both for 1/2 price!!!!!!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
i have visited this thread so many times and finally broke down today to buy one of these grills and the single action long table!!! Can't wait for baja in jan. To use it all. I was going to buy from ee as usual, but found that backcountry.com had one of each on their geartrader.com website both for 1/2 price!!!!!!

score!

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Very Cool!! You will love your grill! I bought mine a few months back and couldn't be happier with it! The whole pelican case and bag of charcoal is such a sweet and efficient transport system! I highly recommend it.
J :sombrero:

What are you Baja plans?
Me along with few other ExPo members are hookin up in January and traveling around Baja together.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
We just got back from a 2 week trip and are preparing for a 2 month trip and would love to hook up with others!! Everytime we go down to Baja we end up making new life long friends. Baja is one of my favorite places to explore and camp!! Let me know your plans??

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have visited this thread so many times and finally broke down today to buy one of these grills and the single action long table!!! Can't wait for Baja in Jan. to use it all. I was going to buy from EE as usual, but found that backcountry.com had one of each on their geartrader.com website both for 1/2 price!!!!!!

I don't want to jinx myself until the goods are in hand but thanks to you I got motivated again, went a search'n and found an unbelievable deal on the same table!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Since my Snowpeak BBQ grill will be here shortly I'm wondering what kind of charcoal to use?? What is better than the other, to have lighter fluid already in the charcoal or not?? I didn't order the snowpeak starter thingamadigger, but wondering if I should just to keep things nice and orderly in the pelican case it is all going in?? Your thoughts???

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
That is an awesome emoticon. Need to add that to the Smilies!

The coal trick was the most difficult to get right with the bbq box. Using a flume would be the easiest, but they take more space.

snowpeak016%20020340.jpg

The Snow Peak starter flume is really nice, and folds compact, but I have been able to make it work without it after a few tests. The key seems to be keeping the pile tight and give it some time to burn before spreading them out on the coal bed.

Scott can you elaborate a little more on the technique you use that does not include purchasing the snowpeak starter flume?? Also do you have a charcoal preference??

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Since my Snowpeak BBQ grill will be here shortly I'm wondering what kind of charcoal to use?? What is better than the other, to have lighter fluid already in the charcoal or not?? I didn't order the snowpeak starter thingamadigger, but wondering if I should just to keep things nice and orderly in the pelican case it is all going in?? Your thoughts???

No lighter fluid necessary or desirable. I now use the SP chimney, but I've also used non-toxic fire starters as the fuel to get the charcoal lit without the chimney. This is just an example of what's out there. Any store with 1/2 a selection of decent grilling accessories will have something like this.

I've found that just placing a small piece of this under the lower grate (very bottom of the grill) that holds the charcoal and then stacking the coals in a neat pile above it is all that's needed. After about 15 minutes, spread the coals out and start cooking a few minutes after the heat settles down.

As for charcoal? Kingsford is a good, ubiquitous brand. There are other boutique coals out there that might be better, but I would consider Kingsford as a good quality, basic fuel. Anything cheaper than that is not worth the hassle; they just don't light as well and they're more frustrating than the small savings.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I have been using this:

snowpeak013%20013340.jpg

and the 10 or so charcoal that Scott suggested and just piling them in a pyramid shape and blasting the charcoal with the torch.

The torch is small and compact and has proved to be sweet at lighting fires in damp conditions too.

Curious what folks suggest for charcoal.I just grabbed a standard bag of Kingsford also and have not gone through it yet.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I have been using this:

snowpeak013%20013340.jpg

and the 10 or so charcoal that Scott suggested and just piling them in a pyramid shape and blasting the charcoal with the torch.

The torch is small and compact and has proved to be sweet at lighting fires in damp conditions too.

Curious what folks suggest for charcoal.I just grabbed a standard bag of Kingsford also and have not gone through it yet.

I just ordered the snowpeak torch along with a lot of other things my wife wanted for her new killer travel kitchen from Expedition Exchange!!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have been using this:

snowpeak013%20013340.jpg

I've used it too. It's louder than loud, though. Also, unless I let it heat up quite a bit, I had a hard time keeping it from blowing itself out when inverted (necessary if the coals are down inside a small grill). It states that it can be used inverted, but again, I had to let it heat up quite a bit before this was really possible. Maybe there's something wrong with mine?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Also, unless I let it heat up quite a bit, I had a hard time keeping it from blowing itself out when inverted (necessary if the coals are down inside a small grill). It states that it can be used inverted, but again, I had to let it heat up quite a bit before this was really possible. Maybe there's something wrong with mine?

My S.P. torch is "Funny" too when it comes to inverted running. Sometimes it runs great upside down and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure it out. At first, I thought it was a fuel supply issue, but it's fickle with even the same bottle on it. It's not a big enough issue to prevent me from bringing it just about everywhere though. They are super handy and very efficient.

The roar reminds me of an after burner and never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach