So I Want a D2 (Jeep Owner)

Mg-rover1

Observer
I'm good...I had no time with the scale 4x4's I sold the D90 and LR3 and the rolling chassis of my mini D2 to get parts on my 04 Disco. Its true with the Disco's it needs a lot of attention and you will be wrenching a lot.(reason why I don't have time with Rc's)
Parts are not cheap either but if you do research you might find some good deals for used parts in here or other forums. I've been buying used parts and been working on them on my own sometimes with a help from a friend. If you do get one make sure to see what's been done on it specially the major ones. Despite all this I love my D2 and I love working on it. Good luck!

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Excellent advice on page 1. Ask yourself, if you take your current finances + payment, will you easily be able to come up with $1000 at any given moment? Because with a Land Rover, or most European cars/SUVs, you'll probably have to at some point or you will be stranded. Frankly most college students (excluding spoiled rich ones) should be driving Honda Civics. That gives you much more money to waste on beer and chasing tail.:D

Note that I fully expect you to ignore my advice, because I ignored the advice of others years ago when I was in a similar situation. I had several old Porsches during college, which was a pretty significant self-induced financial burden. Even doing all maintenance and repairs myself, the higher than normal amount of work required and the increased parts costs meant that I was spending my precious little time and money in a pretty stupid way. At the very least, sit down and look at the numbers so you don't end up with a non-running Disco in the driveway. Considering that you can get a nice older Disco for $4k pretty easily, I would strongly encourage you to purchase a well maintained older one and save your car payment money for repairs. This will also save you on insurance, you can keep the paid-for car on liability only if you want. Having driven multiple DII then owning a DI, in my opinion you give up very little with the older models and they are much cheaper.

Definitely not ignoring the advice, that is why I have come to the conclusion that I will just get an early DII which I can find here in Miami for less than $4k and buy it cash with what I get from my Jeep. Thus, this leaves money for maintenance since I won't have monthly payments. And money for chasing tail as well! :D

I'm good...I had no time with the scale 4x4's I sold the D90 and LR3 and the rolling chassis of my mini D2 to get parts on my 04 Disco. Its true with the Disco's it needs a lot of attention and you will be wrenching a lot.(reason why I don't have time with Rc's)
Parts are not cheap either but if you do research you might find some good deals for used parts in here or other forums. I've been buying used parts and been working on them on my own sometimes with a help from a friend. If you do get one make sure to see what's been done on it specially the major ones. Despite all this I love my D2 and I love working on it. Good luck!

Yea I worked on my Jeep so I got rid of the RCs for the same reason. I like wheeling the 1:1 better also! Lol.

There is a giant used Land Rover parts resource here in Miami, so I should be good, I hope.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Definitely not ignoring the advice, that is why I have come to the conclusion that I will just get an early DII which I can find here in Miami for less than $4k and buy it cash with what I get from my Jeep. Thus, this leaves money for maintenance since I won't have monthly payments. And money for chasing tail as well! :D....

Good call. Get it fixed up (in stock form) and learn about it before you start modifying it. You'll be surprised what they can do stock. And dont **** it up bolting on a bunch of stuff, and putting big swamp tires on, that you think looks cool. LOL

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Good call. Get it fixed up (in stock form) and learn about it before you start modifying it. You'll be surprised what they can do stock. And dont **** it up bolting on a bunch of stuff, and putting big swamp tires on, that you think looks cool. LOL

HELL NAAAW!!!

Lol I hate that. Too bad I live in Miami because everything around here is mudders with what you described. DII is going to be an Expo/Trail rig, not a mudder. I want to be able to drive to Moab and Pismo Beach, have fun there, and return in comfort.

Yes definitely I will do the maintenance and wheel it in stock form for a while, perhaps with better tires but that's it for Phase I.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The problem with the DI is that I do not find the styling as appealing as the DII for some reason.
Well, it's just a matter of priorities, reliability/field fix-ability/off-road performance vs looks.

Personally I've always thought Discoveries were pretty ugly, though after owning one for 11 years they don't bother me as much as they did when I bought it.

Sounds like a good plan, you're apparently a better listener than I was.:). Take some of the money you save and invest in tools, DIY will save you a fortune and it's a great way to learn about your vehicle.

The Moose

I love my disco, but definitely second what a lot of people have said already. Have money for parts, invest in some tools, and do a lot of DIY whenever possible. I'm still collecting parts and things to make it fully self sufficient. I just dropped a winch in the bumper a couple weeks ago. Its pretty modest, 2.5in lift, 265s. the 4.0 turns them alright but i don't expect to win any races, even if they were against Prius'

005.jpg

AeroSynch

Adventurer
Well, it's just a matter of priorities, reliability/field fix-ability/off-road performance vs looks.

Personally I've always thought Discoveries were pretty ugly, though after owning one for 11 years they don't bother me as much as they did when I bought it.

Lol I can't explain why but I like the D2 more. Possibly the updated styling, or the fact that they look pretty awesome when modified because all the ones around here are owned by people that use them as grocery getters.

Sounds like a good plan, you're apparently a better listener than I was.:). Take some of the money you save and invest in tools, DIY will save you a fortune and it's a great way to learn about your vehicle.

Bought some tools when I got the Jeep, but adding more can't hurt!

I love my disco, but definitely second what a lot of people have said already. Have money for parts, invest in some tools, and do a lot of DIY whenever possible. I'm still collecting parts and things to make it fully self sufficient. I just dropped a winch in the bumper a couple weeks ago. Its pretty modest, 2.5in lift, 265s. the 4.0 turns them alright but i don't expect to win any races, even if they were against Prius'

005.jpg

Urban Disco ******! Love it.

The Moose

Lol I can't explain why but I like the D2 more. Possibly the updated styling, or the fact that they look pretty awesome when modified because all the ones around here are owned by people that use them as grocery getters.

Bought some tools when I got the Jeep, but adding more can't hurt!

Urban Disco ******! Love it.

yep. scenic Camden NJ lol. Its like a 45 minute ride to the closest trails and i just wanted to snap some quickies one day. Trail and beach pics will be up as soon as i finish getting some "quirks" sorted out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven