So whats the future?

rex_1_mn

Observer
While I'm in the process of converting my E350 to 4x4 I have spent a lot of time thinking about this vehicle and the next.

The NV appears to be whats next and I am curious when we will see a little more from some of the developers in this community? (u-joint and MG) And while I think its a good platform I want a little bit of efficiency. Why cant we get the 5.0 liter cummins from nissan in the NV from the factory?

On the same subject of diesel what about the chevy with the new 2.8? Sweet ride but why cant we put this in the AWD?

What is with these manufacturers? They make like 10000 vehicles and they always seem to miss what I want.. Am I the only one thinking about these combo's? Seems like contractors and anyone that drives a van would love to see a GM expand AWD into 3/4 and 1 ton chassis... It also seems like if you are going to make a small displacement diesel why cant we get it in the 1/2 ton that actually has AWD?

And for nissan come on lets move above 13 MPG in a van...

What does everyone else think?

Joey G

On the same subject of diesel what about the chevy with the new 2.8? Sweet ride but why cant we put this in the AWD? Seems like contractors and anyone that drives a van would love to see a GM expand AWD into 3/4 and 1 ton chassis
As far as I know, they don't make the AWD anymore.

I'm looking for a 4wd campervan solution myself. Good used Econoline vans are getting hard to find, and I'd like a little more off-road capability than a Sprinter or converted Transit would provide. I've recently started looking into the NV and GM vans, but I'm not sold yet on the quality and capability of the available conversions.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I don't have any plans to include the Nissan NV in any of my development activities at the moment. I take delivery on a new medium roof, Ecoboost Transit in a few weeks if that's any indication of where I'm going next. The only way I'd get into the NV space is if they use the 5.0L Cummins but even then, I can order one of those engines now and put it in any rig I want...and the list of potential vehicles I'd choose is mighty long before I'd get to a Nissan.

I'll continue to play with the E-series as long as there is interest in it. My focus will be more on the '09+ vans though. There are tons of things that can be done with the new interiors and electronics that no one is doing so look for some cool things from us in the near future.

shirk

Dear Ford. Import the Transit Custom and do it with an AWD. Some of us want a mid-sized option that isn't MB.

Dear VW. Bring the T6 4motion to North America.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Excellent question! I've been eyeing the Nissan for quite a while, need to bite the bullet and buy one. We've just been too busy to spend time on development of a 4wd conversion. And there are a few unknowns that could be a game stopper. ABS, traction control, that fun stuff.

I have some new ideas for UJOR that will be happening soon, some fun stuff that brings us a different direction while still focusing on the E series. Restorations and major overhauls, etc will continue as long as people want to pay us to build them! The E series will be around for a while.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't have any plans to include the Nissan NV in any of my development activities at the moment. I take delivery on a new medium roof, Ecoboost Transit in a few weeks if that's any indication of where I'm going next. The only way I'd get into the NV space is if they use the 5.0L Cummins but even then, I can order one of those engines now and put it in any rig I want...and the list of potential vehicles I'd choose is mighty long before I'd get to a Nissan.

I'll continue to play with the E-series as long as there is interest in it. My focus will be more on the '09+ vans though. There are tons of things that can be done with the new interiors and electronics that no one is doing so look for some cool things from us in the near future.

Hmm, that sounds interesting... any details?

rex_1_mn

Observer
Yeah I just don't know if a MB or a transit will ever have the same brawn and steel that a built E350 does.

I really think it is possible to have it all we just aren't getting the right drive trains. The 7.3 was one of them. LT and LS motors were able to get pretty reasonable economy and make big power. I had a IH school bus with a DT360 that was fantastic. 10mpg in a 20k pound bus with the aerodynamics of a house.. I guess I just dont think these car companies are making the best decisions. Fuel prices are not going to stay this low forever. Sales are up in guzzlers because people have short memories. The ecoboosts in fords are really neat engines because of the low rpm torque they are generating but again the economy just isn't what they thought it would be..

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Yeah I just don't know if a MB or a transit will ever have the same brawn and steel that a built E350 does.

I don't know about this... watch all of the E-series crash test videos on youtube then go watch the Transit videos. There isn't much to an E-series body...then most builders go and cut a lot of the inner structure out of the van for windows and cabinet clearance. At least in my opinion, I don't consider the E-series to be brawnier just because it has body on frame construction. The Transit may suffer from some quirky looks and poor suspension choices but the more I poke around inside of one, the more I like it.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I don't think a Nissan NV converted to 4WD would be much different capability and durability-wise compared to a Sprinter or Transit van.

Old school diesels are great but the new engines will be different with the DPF and SCR systems. That's not gonna change in the future.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I don't know about this... watch all of the E-series crash test videos on youtube then go watch the Transit videos. There isn't much to an E-series body...then most builders go and cut a lot of the inner structure out of the van for windows and cabinet clearance. At least in my opinion, I don't consider the E-series to be brawnier just because it has body on frame construction. The Transit may suffer from some quirky looks and poor suspension choices but the more I poke around inside of one, the more I like it.

Do you think you will be able to get a transit to work with 35" tires with a reasonable amount of mods? I really know nothing about them so maybe I shouldn't judge or discount them but they just look chincy in stock form.

I know Unibody construction can be as good or better than body on frame construction if done well. Again I have pretty limited knowledge about some of the platforms out there so this discussion is good but my initial impressions of the current offerings aren't great.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I don't think a Nissan NV converted to 4WD would be much different capability and durability-wise compared to a Sprinter or Transit van.

Old school diesels are great but the new engines will be different with the DPF and SCR systems. That's not gonna change in the future.

Yeah I am sure it has been a tough road for engineers to push durability, efficiency, and emissions all at the same time. I know the days of old are gone but for a consumer these engines and transmissions just aren't doing it for me. The power that is coming out in almost all vehicles is awesome. The longevity is pretty good but they are getting much much more complicated. The efficiency is staying the same or going backwards in recent years. Thousands of years of engineering somebody has to be able to put out a winning combination.

These are just my observations and openions out loud.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I would imagine the E series will be popular for a while with cutaways continuing production and Sprinters becoming the used E series replacement.
When I finally do get my van with my luck though the e350 with 7.3 will be rediculiously priced and diesel Transits will be hard to find.
That and I want 4X4...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz