Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

E.J.

Explorer
I've had them in for maybe 1k miles, so far so good. I brought the front down an inch for the sake of durability (swapped 2" strut block for 1"). It seemed fine with the big spacers up front but most of my long trips involve towing a trailer. I think the slight increase in angle on the front axles with the trailer attached was pushing it over the edge with the 2" spacers and King springs.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
^ given towing and nose rise, tha's a good idea to lower the front a bit. I' in the same boat and i'm considering changing springs to lower the nose and keep axles hapy under DD and towing...

So, I just called and spoke with the product manager from Heri's Phoenix location, yesterday. He shows plenty of 22200s in the States but that there currently are no 22276s and none currently being shipped across the Pacific so they must be backlogged in production.
They've been getting some heavy press (like here) and were only introduced at SEMA in November last year. He said they've really only been on shelves for about 6 months or so and are already COMPLETELY OUT OF ALL 22276s in the USA.
He did mention there are slight differences b/t the 22276 and the 22200, and here's my summary: Mainly there are slight differences in length between center hold for the roll pin and end of the dust cup/collar around the trans stud, but as E.J.'s pointed out, with the tone ring (and ABS fitment I think) gone their mounting is virtually identical to the 76.

Here's his actual quote, "According to my engineer, other than the ABS on the 22200, there are slight differences between the 22200 and the 22276. Specifically the collar diameter on the IBJ and distance between the end of the collar and the center of the roll pin.

This is the IBJ on the 22276. If you have an old axle laying around you might compare the 2. The overall length is the same."

While he was not at liberty to reveal too much technical detail or imagery, he did share the following images.

Heri-22200.jpg

22200: compressed length 26 9/16”; IBJ splines 25; OBJ splines 27; IBJ female

Heri-22276.jpg

22276: compressed length 26 14/16”; IBJ splines 25; OBJ splines 27; IBJ female

Last edited:

Rosco862003

Adventurer
how would one get to these areas? its a really nice spot to get to i looked in the maps and search. but it doesnt mention any 4x4 trails or motorized trails.

With this particular trail, I drove up Hwy 7 from CT to VT and took a right in Bennington, VT and headed East on Hwy 9 AKA the Molly Stark Trail. Along this hwy are quite a lot of gravel and forest roads. At the time however I had Somerset Reservoir in my GPS which had me turning left on Forest Rd. 71. At some point I just noticed a campsite and got out to walk my dog and do a little exploring. I noticed that there was a trail that led down to the shores and moved a few rocks to get to it, and am very glad I did. I'm not sure how to load in GPS tracks but if you look at Google maps at Somerset Reservoir you;ll notice a road running south which is the road I was referring to. I noticed you live in Brookly, and I'd be down for another little trip up there if you or anyone else for that matter is interested.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There are a few 00'ish outbacks and legacys for sale around here, if rust is in check, are there any other issues with them besides normal stuff. I can get one outback for 500 bucks. It has 248000 kms on it. and Looks in decent shape. Would be a great car for my son in 6 months.

Hodaka

Adventurer
There are a few 00'ish outbacks and legacys for sale around here, if rust is in check, are there any other issues with them besides normal stuff.

Depends on what you consider normal. For many engines the 200,000+ km mark would be head gasket replacement time, and that car would be no exception. If all else is good, it's a bargain. Brakes, struts/shocks, etc might need replacement - but still normal, and still a deal.

Cross

First Subaru - 2015 Outback

First time on dirt with our new outback and couldn't be happier.
IMG_3582.jpg

We even got to try driving off road in the rain. Gotta love South Florida weather

Attachments

• IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 75

machine1

Explorer
Nice Trip report. I'm curious if you had some foresters out there with X-mode vs some without and if there was a noticeable difference in capability with and without it?

Thanks!

Out of the 7 Foresters out there, Three of them had x-mode, only one of the x-mode equipped Foresters had A/T tires. I did not notice a difference in capability. There was so much mud out there that we were not able to get a good guage of the different systems. The only one that was noteable was the Trailhawk with its locking rear diff, they didn't need as much momentum to climb the short hills of the Four Hills section.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Nice to know, I keep tossing the idea of adding a tight LSD (KAAZ or Cusco) in the rear but was thoroughly impressed with the 2015 Outback I drove (on-road) and was curious on the credibility of X-mode vs a mechanical system. I will say that a 5 speed with larger is a bit of a pain and that the CVT would be nice at times for steeper hills. Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater