Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
20161202_175048.jpg
My cheap DIY approach to muffler delete. I didnt want to spend $200 for the nice aftermarket version.

20161205_162829.jpg
The Primitive skids are nice but they leave the sides wide open unlike the factory splash shield.

20161205_162841.jpg
A closer look.
20161205_161836.jpg
I was going to bend my own sheet metal but found some pre bent "rain diverter" that saved me some time. Stuck it on with some heavy duty double sided tape. Maybe I should have just used heavy duty adhesive?
20161205_163329.jpg
Finished product, did the same for both sides.

Last edited:

DanCooper

Adventurer
Hey, FOZROAMER!

How about some deets on the snorkel you selected and the installation, Please? And thank you. Grant put one on his WOD, but still waiting to hear from him about what he used and how it went.

And since I'm on the topic of the Fozroamer, what was the shipping expense like on those awesome bumpers?

Thanking you in advance!

I have attached of pic of the parts list I used in this, Only thing I didn't use was Spectre Performance MAF adapter kit. I just recycled some parts on my old airbox in order for my MAF to work properly. This snorkel build was a total pain on a turbo model Subaru, now I see the reason why not too many people have done it. I have been monitoring everything on my engine and numbers are exactly the same as stock so I will not need a tune. I do plan on getting a tune eventually for ****s and giggles.

I doubt Grant has actually completed anything under the hood for his snorkel build as he wont share pics or discuss the build at all with people, I call BS. Yeah I know you will see this Grant, so put your money where your mouth is and show people what you have done, just as I have... Its ok to not have stuff finished or completed because you are still figuring it all out.

No idea on the shipping contact LeadFoot Offroad in Laverne, CA

Here is the snorkel I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221813730990?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

SnorkelSpectre

snorkel3

snorkel1

SnorkelPArts

Last edited:

Rallye

@FozRoamer, looks like it was quite the clusterf--k to get that this all together, but I'm glad you did, thing looks sweet. Been wanting to do one on my Crosstrek, but as I still use it for work, and people see it, I want to make sure it looks perfect and is done right. So it'll have to wait until I have a little more time and money to invest in getting her done right.

I agree about Grant, it's odd. Everything else he does, he has documented and posted step by step, and yet nothing about the snorkel. Maybe he won't share with you because he's mad that you have more Instagram followers. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanCooper

Adventurer
FozRoamer~

Thank you, that is a very complete answer. I simply MUST pull the trigger on this mod now, as you have left me no excuse, no wiggle room, no face if I don't do it.

i noticed you have a 2008 Outback, contact Guy at Spectre Performace he will help you piece together a proper kit for your vehicle. Only thing I do not recommend is using their MAF adapter kits from what I have seen they say "universal" but not so much with Subaru MAF. Who knows yours might be different though.

Thanks. I had initially contacted a guy in Russia who had the exact same model as my Foz and did a snorkel build on his. He used an airbox off a diesel Toyota HiAce van. I ended up finding a similar one and had it shipped it here from Australia and after doing a bit of tinkering with it the airbox was not going to work, thats when I decided to reach out to Spectre. The airbox the guy from Russia had used was a JDM part that I could not find anywhere online, it was a rabbit hole I care never to go down again.

I know the HiAce van well as it was a van I used on a month long overland trip in New Zealand last year.

NewZealand_DSC00447_2015_exported-3

Last edited:

DanCooper

Adventurer
i noticed you have a 2008 Outback, contact Guy at Spectre Performace he will help you piece together a proper kit for your vehicle. Only thing I do not recommend is using their MAF adapter kits from what I have seen they say "universal" but not so much with Subaru MAF. Who knows yours might be different though.

Thank you again. I will contact him when I do this. It will likely be next summer when I get back down to the small states, as I have to finish rebuilding this BMW R80/7 that my wife insisted I buy. Although I suppose I shuld start ordering parts so they are there when I'm ready to do the mod.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I have attached of pic of the parts list I used in this, Only thing I didn't use was Spectre Performance MAF adapter kit. I just recycled some parts on my old airbox in order for my MAF to work properly. This snorkel build was a total pain on a turbo model Subaru, now I see the reason why not too many people have done it. I have been monitoring everything on my engine and numbers are exactly the same as stock so I will not need a tune. I do plan on getting a tune eventually for ****s and giggles.

I doubt Grant has actually completed anything under the hood for his snorkel build as he wont share pics or discuss the build at all with people, I call BS. Yeah I know you will see this Grant, so put your money where your mouth is and show people what you have done, just as I have... Its ok to not have stuff finished or completed because you are still figuring it all out.
Actually

You are wrong. Its 100% functional. Noone has asked me how i did it.

There is a glaringly useful port on the bottom of the OEM box that the big resonator jug is attached to. Its 3". Pipe into that, make a cap for where the OEM ram air scoop went and its done. Used the 90* fitting that came with the kit trimmed a bit and flex hose.
For the cap, i just used a 4" plumbing rubber cap, filled it with slicone, stuck it on, made a mold, then filled in around hte voids (its a circle..the port is square) and then when i go offroad i put it on and hose clamp it. When im not, i pull it off and have more intake air.
It isn't rocket science. You just decided to go above and beyond for some reason.

If less people would stop worrying how someone else does something, and just try it, you'd see how easy this stuff really is.

Alternatively, You can just have a shop or other people do it for you like some people.

l. Maybe he won't share with you because he's mad that you have more Instagram followers.

I'm just mad im stuck on the east coast. He does get some ************* killer camp spots. No arguing that

Last edited:

DanCooper

Adventurer
"Actually

You are wrong. Its 100% functional. Noone has asked me how i did it."

Grant, you are not telling the truth, are you. On April 1, 2016, you and I had the following exchange on your blog.

Am I seeing a snorkel on there now, too? How about some details on that?

It’s coming. Have to finish it all up 100%

And then you never posted any followups. Man up, for heaven's sake, and lose the egotistical jerk attitude. The first snorkel-on-a-Subaru I recall seeing was on the Superu, which predates your discovery of the Subaru platform by several years. Now, if you attend a MtnRoo rally, you will see many of them. I was talking with a guy down in Washington State this summer and he told me stories of Back-In-The-Day in the 70s and 80s when the old Subaru wagons were modified and used for bogging and wheeling. You are just one guy in a very long history of women and men modifying this increasingly popular platform.

People like to look at how others solve problems similar to ones they face for many reasons. Some of your solutions are interesting, but frankly, I am not enamored with many of your solutions, for instance, the ugliest and least useful roof rack in the history of really ugly roof racks.

"If less people would stop worrying how someone else does something, and just try it, you'd see how easy this stuff really is."

Really? I've been building and modifying cars, trucks, vans, and jeeps for both off-road and overland travel since 1971. Catch up, then we'll chat.

In sum, don't think you are the pinnacle of all things Subaru. Or even in the top 25%. You have a nice rig, pretty well set up, but there is nothing in or on it that sets new standards or breaks new ground. It's all been done before.

"Actually

You are wrong. Its 100% functional. Noone has asked me how i did it."

Grant, you are not telling the truth, are you. On April 1, 2016, you and I had the following exchange on your blog.

Am I seeing a snorkel on there now, too? How about some details on that?

It's coming. Have to finish it all up 100%

And then you never posted any followups. Man up, for heaven's sake, and lose the egotistical jerk attitude. The first snorkel-on-a-Subaru I recall seeing was on the Superu, which predates your discovery of the Subaru platform by several years. Now, if you attend a MtnRoo rally, you will see many of them. I was talking with a guy down in Washington State this summer and he told me stories of Back-In-The-Day in the 70s and 80s when the old Subaru wagons were modified and used for bogging and wheeling. You are just one guy in a very long history of women and men modifying this increasingly popular platform.

People like to look at how others solve problems similar to ones they face for many reasons. Some of your solutions are interesting, but frankly, I am not enamored with many of your solutions, for instance, the ugliest and least useful roof rack in the history of really ugly roof racks.

"If less people would stop worrying how someone else does something, and just try it, you'd see how easy this stuff really is."

Really? I've been building and modifying cars, trucks, vans, and jeeps for both off-road and overland travel since 1971. Catch up, then we'll chat.

In sum, don't think you are the pinnacle of all things Subaru. Or even in the top 25%. You have a nice rig, pretty well set up, but there is nothing in or on it that sets new standards or breaks new ground. It's all been done before.

You hit the nail on the head sir. Im just thankful everyone is seeing through all his BS now.... That ego!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk