Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

Explorer

My Geo

Been lurking around here for awhile, finally have time to post some pics of mine.

Attachments

• geo 001.JPG
    geo 001.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 170
  • geo 002.JPG
    geo 002.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 207
  • geo 003.JPG
    geo 003.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 192
  • geo 004.JPG
    geo 004.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 166

Riptide

Explorer
Not quite ExPo ready, but certainly summer ready. Next year, roof rack, bumpers, suspension, air lockers, smaller wheels and tires... basically install all the junk I've accumulated for it.

The rear cage was my main focus for this year, as well as updating and freshening the interior, and making sure it was reliable.

We've used the snot out of it this summer so far :smiley_drive:

Attachments

• DSC04977email.jpg
    DSC04977email.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04982email.jpg
    DSC04982email.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 194

mannytranny

Observer
I've got one.....well, it's my dad's but I did the 1.9 AHU conversion for him a few years ago. (It was a learner compared to my 4runner diesel conversion, but that's another story...)

It's a 5 speed 1989 Sidekick. 100k miles at the time of the engine swap, clean southern California car. I put in a 1.9 TDI (I sourced a mechanical pump which will be coming off when I turn it back into electronic injection) but the little truck makes plenty of power even with the mechanical pump.

I would strongly advise those who do this swap to stick with the electronic injection. That really is the magic of the TDI as a mechanical pump does not come close to the power, smoothness, quiet and efficiency of the electronic setup. The immobilizer is no big deal....just have it tuned out! Along with the EGR and a few other unnecessary sensors...Even with the MTDI, it gets 35 mpg. It's intercooled also.

I used an acme kit and kept the 5 speed. I can slip the HD kevlar clutch even with MTDI. Gearing is way short given the power output and the life of the trans is in question with the power the TDI makes. Off road, however, it does amazingly well. Killer MPG, incredible low rpm torque makes it a real easy drive off road. 31" tires help a lot too.

Even so, it spends most of its time on the road...

Attachments

• DSC02030.JPG
    DSC02030.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02048.JPG
    DSC02048.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 117

Trondomatic

Great site! My wife and I are currently into our second year of travels in an '87 Samurai through South America. We started from Vancouver on motorcycles, but decided to switch to "Yuki the Suzuki" in Arizona. Glad we did cuz the little machine is a blast. All stock except for tires, used seats from a Dodge Neon, a roof rack made in Costa Rica and a roof box made in Colombia.

Saw tons of Samurais in Costa Rica. Had the tranny bearings replaced in Medellin Colombia for $300 (would have been a grand in Canada!). The mechanic knew the Samurai well because they were making them in Bogota right up into the mid-90s. Perfect size for some of these narrow mountain roads when you meet a large truck, but it's too small to sleep in. A long wheel based Samurai with a rooftop tent is one of the ideas for our next trip.

Our blog is at http://www.contactpictures.com

This pictures was taken last month in Ecuador on Mount Cotopaxi at 15,000 feet. Yuki was gasping, but she made it fine. 12,000 miles and this gal doesn't want to quit!

YukiCotopaxi-1.jpg

Cheers,
Trond

SRN

Adventurer
Great site! My wife and I are currently into our second year of travels in an '87 Samurai through South America. We started from Vancouver on motorcycles, but decided to switch to "Yuki the Suzuki" in Arizona. Glad we did cuz the little machine is a blast. All stock except for tires, used seats from a Dodge Neon, a roof rack made in Costa Rica and a roof box made in Colombia.

Saw tons of Samurais in Costa Rica. Had the tranny bearings replaced in Medellin Colombia for $300 (would have been a grand in Canada!). The mechanic knew the Samurai well because they were making them in Bogota right up into the mid-90s. Perfect size for some of these narrow mountain roads when you meet a large truck, but it's too small to sleep in. A long wheel based Samurai with a rooftop tent is one of the ideas for our next trip.

Our blog is at http://www.contactpictures.com

This pictures was taken last month in Ecuador on Mount Cotopaxi at 15,000 feet. Yuki was gasping, but she made it fine. 12,000 miles and this gal doesn't want to quit!

YukiCotopaxi-1.jpg

Cheers,
Trond

That is wicked cool. Great pictures.

Trondomatic

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! To answer your question Backroads, I suspect we'll be traveling for another year or so. South America is HUGE and there's so much to see. :smiley_drive:

rezdiver

Adventurer
That sounds like a great trip.
I can attest to the Samurai as a great vehicle for trips like this, i drove from Edmonton down the west coast of the states to costa rica and back up the east coast and back across canada for over 34000km trip over 7 months or so and the truck never missed a beat. wish i had some scanned pics somewhere, it was years ago and i only had a 35mm camera.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Helped build this a while back... Its a 49 Crosley on a Sami frame and running gear. Don't be surprised if you see it in the middle of no where.

CopyofCIMG0039.jpg

KennysCrosley.jpg

kennyscrosly001.jpg

kennyscrosly005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3