Tacoma is a dog, should I think twice before adding FWC?

Clutch

<---Pass
You actually have a sticker in your drivers side door jamb that tells you exactly what the payload is. I don't know what cab configuration you have, but unless you have a reg cab, I'd highly doubt you are even close to 1,800 lbs. I looked at a double cab at a dealership recently. Opened the door, looked at the tag&#8212;1,200lbs.

My Tacoma is a measly 1,000lbs.

DC 4WD 5.7 should be around 1600+ lbs. (well at least according to the website)

https://www.toyota.com/tundra/features/mpg/8342/8252/8275

phsycle

Adventurer
GVWR is there for a reason. OEM's have tested a whole bunch of the vehicle's systems (suspension, brakes, frame, axles, body, handling) to determine that number.

That makes more sense to me. Why would manufacturers stamp on arbitrary numbers on their cars? And underrate them?

Regarding the new 3.5, they’re definitely not any more powerful than the 4.0. At least doesn’t feel like it to me. But no matter....it does what I need it to.

rruff

Explorer
But in an accident, the responding officer has the ability to call out items like that which could result in negligence charges.

Examples of this actually happening? Someone cited as negligent for being say 10% over GVWR?

These rigs are ok to pull a 10,000 lb trailer that sticks way up in the air, but a properly secured low-cg 1,500 lbs in the bed, when your truck has 10-ply tires and adequate suspension... is dangerous and negligent? Why?

phsycle

Adventurer
DC 4WD 5.7 should be around 1600+ lbs. (well at least according to the website)

https://www.toyota.com/tundra/features/mpg/8342/8252/8275

I looked at several Tacoma's ad they're never as stated on their site. Mine SHOULD be 1,200. But real number is about 20% less than that. I think add on's and options dig into the payload and maybe other things I'm not thinking of.

Hey, rruff&#8212; what's your payload sticker say? Looks like you've got the DC 4wd config.

Clutch

<---Pass
Are you sure? Perhaps with a 2wd?

I was looking at the RCLB for carrying a FWC Granby at one time so I could stay with Toyotas...and my memory was thinking it was around 2000 lbs. (well we all know how fuzzy my memory is) :D

Maybe 1800 with 4WD. Since they discontinued them nothing on the website anymore.

Though in reality if I would do a FWC Granby, would just do a F250 and not have to be a weight weenie. That and you pick them up cheaper than a Tundra. Buddy just got from Baja in his CCLB that has 187K on it....a hard 187K because I know how he drives. Said it hardly anything has gone wrong with it other than brakes...though he did manage to dump his KTM off the hitch rack and drag it a bit (the rack broke)...ground the handle bar and part of the fork down to a nub. Whoops!

Last time I caravanned with him, which was several years agi....we hammered from Flag to Crusty Butt...he was pulling a 24' TT and a bed full of bikes. I had to ring the poor Tacoma's neck to keep up with him, he is (was?) a top level enduro racer...he is fricken nuts!...it was a lot of work to get that thing to hang with a F350, but it did it. Will say this...they are underpowered turds...but you can beat on them, and they keep on coming back for more.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
That makes more sense to me. Why would manufacturers stamp on arbitrary numbers on their cars? And underrate them?

Their liability and warranty, with the street tires and soft suspension that came on the truck. And frankly 99.9% of 1/2 ton truck owners don't care. If they put stiff suspension and tires on them stock, people would test drive them and complain that the ride sucks.

bkg

Explorer
Examples of this actually happening? Someone cited as negligent for being say 10% over GVWR?

These rigs are ok to pull a 10,000 lb trailer that sticks way up in the air, but a properly secured low-cg 1,500 lbs in the bed, when your truck has 10-ply tires and adequate suspension... is dangerous and negligent? Why?

Don’t confuse logic with law. In some ways they are opposites, sadly.

I was in an accident a couple of months ago. Teenager decided he wanted to stop mid intersection - no foreseeable reason - and I tagged him. Scratched the thimble on my winch line. Talked with the officer about the situation and his discretion- there is much. So regardless of what YOU (and perhaps many mathematicians, logicians and engineers) may believe to be safe, it only takes one bad day to end up on the wrong side of the law....

phsycle

Adventurer
I was looking at the RCLB for carrying a FWC Granby at one time so I could stay with Toyotas...and my memory was thinking it was around 2000 lbs. (well we all know how fuzzy my memory is) :D

Maybe 1800 with 4WD. Since they discontinued them nothing on the website anymore.

Though in reality if I would do a FWC Granby, would just do a F250 and not have to be a weight weenie. That and you pick them up cheaper than a Tundra. Buddy just got from Baja in his CCLB that has 187K on it....a hard 187K because I know how he drives. Said it hardly anything has gone wrong with it other than brakes...though he did manage to dump his KTM off the hitch rack and drag it a bit (the rack broke)...ground the handle bar and part of the for down to a nub. Whoops!

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tundra/2011/regular-cab/features-specs/

According to Edmunds, it says 1,720lbs. Actual would be prob be lower, I'm guessing.

Clutch

<---Pass

downhill

Adventurer
There is more to GVWR than just suspension. Many aspects of the Tacoma could handle more than the rated weight with a suspension upgrade, but there are weak links. When Toyota went to the 4.0L, they should have paired it with a bigger rear axle, but they didn't. The little 8" ring on these trucks generates a lot of heat when it is worked hard. Temps north of 250 degrees are not uncommon when you are towing on grades. The axle is fine for pedestrian use, but if you plan to work the truck, an axle upgrade would be a good idea.

phsycle

Adventurer
GVWR is 7200lb. I don't know what it weighs, though. I thought was 5700lb but I don't see that written anywhere.

It should be right on the sticker in the door jamb.

Like this
b7640c320f8702fd8ac73124e6bf34a4.jpg

One thing I’m jealous of. Even in the double cab, you still have more back seat room than my Tacoma! And have the huge bed.

Clutch

<---Pass
These payload threads always are the same...some guys say "F-it" and load the crap out of it...others guys are cautious and shake their fingers at the "F-it" crowd.

:D

dman93

Adventurer
My first pickup was an &#8216;81 Datsun (yes, not yet Nissan in the US then) King Cab, 4x4. 2.2 liter, I think, 4 cylinder. It wasn't fast, but I never thought of it as underpowered. I remember following a Corvette over Sonora Pass in California and wishing he'd go faster ... though of course I certainly didn't have power to pass. A work truck I had in &#8216;70's was a 6 cylinder F100 with 3 on the tree. When we loaded it down to the bump stops, it was slow. Got it stuck once, and our boss had to pull it out with his 1960's GMC V6 truck. That was a real truck motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater