Teardrops: Adventure Trailer VS. So Cal Teardrops

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Another teardrop style came on the market last winter from Aspen Trails trailers. He has his own build thread on this forum and is a vendor. I have had several opportunities to run with this trailer and can vouch for its very capable off-road ability.

Ace

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348605647.656110.jpg

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
View attachment 71351

Going from a Conqueror Compact to the Teardrop, was like night and day, the Teardrop is so much more user friendly from camp setup (there really isn't much) to the cooking area, all around a much better choice, the only issue we have had is the loss of all our storage we had in the Conqueror. Sorry for the poser pic.

Dang does that look cool!

vwalan

img027.jpgimg026.jpg
build your own . tears go anywhere . heres a couple of my pod in morocco. it was twenty year old at the time of these pics . it did break its chassis but got repaired in morocco . i built anew one on return home .

Fugawi

We have been researching options and trying to find a good compromise trailer. We won't do heavy duty off road, but want something that can handle dirt roads that get rutted and a bit rocky.

We looked at Jayco Baja popups, but decided we prefer hard sided to skip setup and take down, and for durability.

Really like the overall design and idea of the tear drops with larger tires and good clearance.

However :) , is there something just a little bigger that gets a toilet inside and keeps the clearance?

We looked at r-pod with off road package, but it seems like too little ground clearance and durability?

We have considered a small toy hauler. Anybody have suggestions there?

I realize the larger we go the less agile the rig becomes, but something just a little bigger than these teardrops seems viable?

Thank you.

Fugawi

We checked out these smaller trailers from Carson Trailers today. I realize they don't have the offroadability of the higher ground clearance/larger tires of the teardrops above, and they have a higher center of gravity, but maybe not a bad compromise?

They have a 12', 14', and 17' toy hauler (Rebel) with rear ramp. They are all 7' wide which is a little narrower than some of the bigger toy haulers. All three have indoor toilet/shower/stove/fridge. All three have relatively short overhang from rear tires to rear bumper. The 12' has a single axle, and the 14' and 17' have a dual axle. http://www.carsontrailer.com/downloads/Carson_Model_FR.pdf

Carson also makes a 10'6" and 12' travel trailer (Kalispell) on a single axle. http://www.carsontrailer.com/downloads/Carson_Model_KA.pdf

All models have 15" tires/wheels.

Has anyone tried something like these trailers? Is there anything else close to this size (10'-17') with toilet/shower/stove/fridge and better offroad capability?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Check out Escape, Casita and Scamp trailers. All three are small, lightweight fiberglass units that can be off-road able from the factory and easily lifted and other mods to make them even more capable. I have an Escape 17 that has been down many a rough road and survived very nicely. It's also for sale.

Ace
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349673798.114154.jpg

Fugawi

Check out Escape, Casita and Scamp trailers. All three are small, lightweight fiberglass units that can be off-road able from the factory and easily lifted and other mods to make them even more capable. I have an Escape 17 that has been down many a rough road and survived very nicely. It's also for sale.

Ace
View attachment 125029

Thank you. Will check those out.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Check out "TTTNT" a forum for these trailers (you all are probably aware of it). I like them all, the Scamp seems to cross the line from the micro teardrops to the travel trailer, very nice, but more to pull.

I like the Sawtooth style, more square than the curvey ones and has to have more volume. Saw one with a rack and RTT, looked very good.

There is also a popup hard sided TD.

I have a problem with most all the Off Road and TDs with the galley/kitchen being outside. I probably have several years of being outside "camping" over my 50+ years at it. It's not always nice weather, it rains, it storms, the wind blows, it gets cold, it hotter than blazes and I can't understand why the trend is cooking outside.

In such small trailers I can see sitting up and cooking breakfast inside, with good vents, maybe A/C. You can always go outside and have a fold down table or a drawer/slide to take the stove outside I would think.

Why are the kitchen arrangements on thses trailers always promoting the cook outside approach?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Most are too small to cook in, and would make the inside a greasy mess over time. Most have the mattress covering the whole floor, some do have fold up mattresses, but still the comfort of setting cross legged cooking breakfast with hot greas splattering does not seem like a good idea.

The idea of the trailer is to provide a base camp for outdoor camping. Mine is designed to have the kitchen enclosed if so desired. But the whole idea is to get out in the woods and camp, open campfires, smores and for some a few good beers with friends.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

New videos soon!!!!

Last edited:

mrchips

Adventurer
I have a Chaser and I would lean towards the better suspension, depending on what you plan to do with it off road. Mine tows behind my LJ like a dream, dont even know it is there most of the time. Off road is where the AT air bag suspension really shines.

jim65wagon

Check out "TTTNT" a forum for these trailers (you all are probably aware of it).
That's TNTTT, Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers

Ozarker said:
Why are the kitchen arrangements on these trailers always promoting the cook outside approach?
Where is one supposed to spend their time when they are camping? Where do you cook when you are camping? The teardrops are supposed to be small, easily towed and maneuverable. Essentially they are a hard-sided tent with a galley on the back.

Unlike a true RV, teardrops are to get outdoors with, not to take the indoors with you. I got that point at a teardrop gathering last year. A bunch of us were hanging out taking it it easy around the galley, and one old gentleman said "Take a look at those RV's over there. Where are the people? Inside, not enjoying the outdoors and meeting people. They're inside watching TV, in the air conditioning. Now look at the teardrops. Where are they? Outside, enjoying the air and spending time with their friends."

The outdoor kitchen is fine. Keeps bacon grease smells out of your bedding. I would hate to cook inside my teardrop. The hatch provides some shade and weather protection when it rains,(we can set up the gazebo with rain walls for a dining room if we need to) and if its storming really bad, just go take a nap for a while. Cook when the storm passes.....

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I think that is more the campers attitude rather than the type of RV. People now behave the same way at home, staying inside with their TV, video games and all that rather than visiting neighbors. I just moved into a new home, been here almost a week, and not one neighbor has even said hello. Guess they think it's up to me, or don't even care.

NetDep

Adventurer
Unlike a true RV, teardrops are to get outdoors with, not to take the indoors with you. I got that point at a teardrop gathering last year. A bunch of us were hanging out taking it it easy around the galley, and one old gentleman said "Take a look at those RV's over there. Where are the people? Inside, not enjoying the outdoors and meeting people. They're inside watching TV, in the air conditioning. Now look at the teardrops. Where are they? Outside, enjoying the air and spending time with their friends."

The outdoor kitchen is fine. Keeps bacon grease smells out of your bedding. I would hate to cook inside my teardrop. The hatch provides some shade and weather protection when it rains,(we can set up the gazebo with rain walls for a dining room if we need to) and if its storming really bad, just go take a nap for a while. Cook when the storm passes.....

Brilliant!!! Have been following this thread with a thirst for information and opinion!! This post crystallized my thoughts perfectly but couldn't quite nail it like this. I lust after a quality epedition worth teardrop - one of these mentioned or a Moby1 which I am heavily leaning toward. One thing is for sure -- next Spring/Summer -- I will be sitting under an awning next to a teardrop!!

Thanks for all posting here - learning a lot!!!!

grimbo

Explorer
What you guys need to check out are the Tvan from http://tracktrailer.com.au/tvan/tvan-models/

tvan089.jpg

tvan006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk