Teardrops: Adventure Trailer VS. So Cal Teardrops

fireflyr

Adventurer
We had a Wildgoose Tear Drop we used as a camp kitchen in the 60's. It was destroyed by a flood in '73 but we still have the frame chained to a Pepperwood.

CIMG2647.jpg

The plans are still available so one of these days I'll rebuild it.

http://www.tinytears.cc/Scans/Wild Goose.pdf

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
We made a Teardrop with storage under the bed, haven't made one with side boxes over the wheel wells.

Our regular side boxes are 14" wide by 54" long so I think they are a little long and heavy to go on the side of the Teardrop. It may be possible to make a composite box that would fit, the challenge would be to make it water tight. The gasket set up makes it more complex than our standard boxes.

Maybe Gabe has some ideas, that is if he's not in a sugar induced coma :elkgrin:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you think it's too heavy to hang off of the wall? I think it would be easy, and structurally better to build the box onto a wheel well platform with some supports of off of the frame. It would be a custom thing for AT though, so maybe not in their best interests.

-

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Horizon box as it stands is probably too heavy to hang off the wall.

On the Horizon it attaches to the main box using 8 bolts.

I don't think it's the best box to put on the Teardrop.

A light weigh custom box would be more applicable.

dozer2

I'm a little late on my response, but Thanks for the plug JPK! We will customize our teardrop to any needs or desires. True within the "limitations of the platform". We can alter lengths and offer 3 widths, 48" for those who travel tight trails, 54" fits a full size mattress and 60" which fits a queen! Yeah the web site is not the best and the videos are lacking BUT give us a chance and you won't be disappointed. We have some amazing stuff coming this spring.

If you have never tried a teardrop you are missing out they are just awesome plain and simple! I've taken mine on trails some thought were only fit for ATV's. You should have seen the looks on the faces when we pulled through the trailhead with the que of atv'ers waiting for us to exit.

It's true the AT and SoCal offer great stuff and I respect them for their knowledge and experience. I just have some different thoughts on the execution of the teardrop platform.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The Moby1 is another new (to me) trailer for off-highway travel. Seems to be a lot of new ones coming to the market. Excellant to now have several choices! But it does create a new, but welcome, problem.... how to choose.

Alan

STREGA

Explorer
:victory: Teardrops rock! I've been eyeing the 459 krawler kit trailer that SCT is offering @ about 5k less than the ready to go version. Currently have a Horizon that I like alot (major man fort), but the wife isn't as impressed with it as I am. We had a homebuilt TD before the Horizon that we both really liked, just had a few funky things that were to hard to correct so we sold it with the thought of getting another TD in the future.

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Here you go..

Recently we had the chance to test out an Off Road Teardrop from SoCal Teardrops located in Upland Ca. We were very pleased with what we experienced and so much so we may be buying one for ourselves!

http://www.adventureduo.com/2011/02/teardrop-testing-in-mojave-desert.html

Thanks for the report!

I've been considering getting the AT Teardrop.

Since the AT & the SoCal Teardrops are so similiar,... what made you decide on the SoCal vs the AT?

Thanks again.

Cheers!
~CLK

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Nice write-up, as always, Dave. And congratulations on finding such a nice rig to meet your purposes. :victory:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice trip report Dave....that unit does have a lot slick goodies.

When was the last time you got watch a DVD in your RTT?:ylsmoke:

STREGA

Explorer
Thanks for the report Dave. I'am putting our Horizon up for sale also and getting a SoCal TD sometime this year. I was on their new website yesterday and it looks like they are coming out with a new offroad model, very basic but alot less $$ could be a good option for people who can't/ wont spend 15k for a trailer.

estysalinas

Awesome report Dave! You have me looking for cash under the sofas! :sombrero:

So my wife wants to know how comfortable it is sleeping inside, i'm not a small guy (God gave me width, not height!).

Would also love to know what your counterparts thoughts as well as they may be key selling points for my significant other :). Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk