**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

bmwags

Anyone use a Thule Xsporter 422xt to mount their tent over the box of a truck?

It's rated for 450 pounds but unsure if that is static or dynamic.

What kind of rack or rail system are you guys using for your pickups?

Tepui: you guys sell tents thru Bass Pro Shops in Canada, but do you sell ruggedized versions through them aswell? I'm looking at an Autana but would love the ruggedized version!

bmwags

Right on. Just making sure that it's gonna hold a tent to my Raptor if I don't decide to fab one up.
Thank you yet again Box Rocket!

Initial Impressions

I received my Tepui Autana Ruggedized yesterday. I had some serious difficulties with Conway freight but that is another story, it seems like most people have had a good delivery experience so I am willing to write my account off as a fluke and dismiss it.

For reference I am comparing this to an ARB Simpson III and a Hannibal Classic (10+ Years old).

After opening the packaging and unfolding the tent I inspected all of the seams, fabric, base, hinges etc. Everything looked perfect. Straight stitches, no imperfections in the fabric. The fabric itself is interesting, it is not as heavy as the Fabric on the Hannibal I am coming from but it is slightly heavier than the ARB, it also has a sealed/shiny sort of finish inside similar to the ARB. The Hannibal has the same soft touch/uncoated finish on the fabric inside and out. I am wondering if this leads to some of the condensation issues people seem to have with the Tepuis? I've had the Hannibal in 48 hours of torrential PNW downpour without the rainfly and it didn't even wet through where my gear was piled up against the walls (This is on a 10+ year tent with no maintenance) so it seems the inside waterproofing layer might be overkill and causing more problems than it's worth? Pure speculation on my part at this point, but the Hannibal has no roof vents and I have never had any sort of condensation issues and it has been all over in a variety of humid climates.

16975877436_9b5971ed04_z.jpg

My only gripe on the install portion was the plastic plugs filling the holes for the mounting rails and ladder. They are a hard plastic and mine were cracking and brittle. The caps of all but two of them disintegrated when I tried to pry them out. I simply drilled a small pilot hole into the plastic, threaded a wood screw into them and pulled them out. A very minor hassle and they certainly do their job protecting the holes and keeping foreign objects out of the base. Sorry for the nitpicking but I am trying to be as thorough as possible.

Installing the ladder and mounting rails went flawlessly. All hardware was complete and every hole lined up perfectly. I would recommend wiping the rails down with a damp rag, hit them with some compressed air and maybe even throw a little graphite or other dry lube into the channels. When I initially installed the mounting plates they did not slide smoothly and liked to bind up in the channels. After a little cleanup everything was perfect. Top marks on the assembly portion!

Mounting it to my roof rack was a PITA! But that is just due to the extremely low clearance of my BajaRack and no fault of Tepuis. I had to run to Home Depot to get some shorter mounting bolts (10mm x 1.25 thread pitch - 35mm length) and utilize my girlfriends far more nimble hands to get everything bolted up.

The bar that supports the awning over the ladder is a little cumbersome. It stores away nicely inside the tent, you pull it out and then there are two pivoting mounts that it slides into. Once in place you tug the awning fabric over the bar and rotate it down into place. This is far more cumbersome than the ARB design. The bar slides into the base and you simply pull it straight out and use two twist locks to secure it. 5 seconds vs. a minute or so on the Tepui. Not a big deal. I will reserve final judgement until I have deployed the tent a few more times but it seems that there is no way to get a nice taught pitch on the awning. Even with the fabric pulled as far over the support bar as I could get it and guyed out it is still quite loose. Both the ARB and Hannibal pitch drum tight which makes for zero flapping in high winds. I'll follow up on this point when I have more experience with the Tepui.

After getting everything assembled and installed the only task remaining was installing the cover. It slide into the channel on the base without issue. Getting the zipper started was extremely difficult. It starts on the hinged side so there is no way to compress the tent further without bending the hinge. It took two sets of channel locks and a second person to get the zipper started. It was very tight the entire way around but zipped up fine. I threw the two outside straps over the cover, cinched them down tight and drove 20 miles home. This morning I noticed the zipper has separated on one corner and the stitching holding the zipper to the cover has blown out along the ladder side. This seems extremely unusual to me, every tent I have owned or had past experience with the cover would drop right over the closed up tent like a glove and zip up with no effort. The only times my previous tents were snug was when I had them loaded with all of our sleeping gear. And even then they were merely snug, not zipper exploding tight.

16795768117_6e85a830d1_z.jpg

17003159055_6cc0669c59_z.jpg

Has anyone else had issues with the travel cover or did I just get a defect?

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
The bar that supports the awning over the ladder is a little cumbersome. It stores away nicely inside the tent, you pull it out and then there are two pivoting mounts that it slides into. Once in place you tug the awning fabric over the bar and rotate it down into place. This is far more cumbersome than the ARB design. The bar slides into the base and you simply pull it straight out and use two twist locks to secure it. 5 seconds vs. a minute or so on the Tepui. Not a big deal. I will reserve final judgement until I have deployed the tent a few more times but it seems that there is no way to get a nice taught pitch on the awning. Even with the fabric pulled as far over the support bar as I could get it and guyed out it is still quite loose. Both the ARB and Hannibal pitch drum tight which makes for zero flapping in high winds. I'll follow up on this point when I have more experience with the Tepui.

On my Autana (std) the awning hoop is at a 45* to the plane of the tent vice level with it. If you look closely, you'll see where the corners are. This will draw the top half taught while the guy lines and annex will draw the bottom portion taut.

FWIW, my cover has been holding up pretty well over the last 3 months up on my rack in sun and rain on my daily driver.

1MK

ExploreDesert
To get the zipper started, I found myself having to grab and slide the tent in the channel in order to get it started. That was only the first time. I think everything adjusted itself from that point.

My cover on my Kukenam was crazy snug and getting the zipper around was a huge hassle the first few times. But once it sat in the sun for a couple weeks and got stretched taking it off/on, it's freed up and it's easy going.

Bummer about your situation, but I'm sure Tepui will get you taken care of.

On my Autana (std) the awning hoop is at a 45* to the plane of the tent vice level with it. If you look closely, you'll see where the corners are. This will draw the top half taught while the guy lines and annex will draw the bottom portion taut.

FWIW, my cover has been holding up pretty well over the last 3 months up on my rack in sun and rain on my daily driver.

Same here, I did not do a very good job of describing the deployment. The corners of the bar are in the little fabric pockets and sits at 45*, but even pulling the awning down as tight as I can the top was still sagging on top, hopefully just an issue with my first attempt at deploying and will just be a matter of getting the method down. I only mention it as I had this issue with an earlier revision ARB tent and it would cause water to pool over the awning. Not cool when you bump it from the inside climbing up and dump a gallon of cold water on the person behind you!

I was hoping the cover issue was merely a matter of break in time. I'm a bit bummed about the zipper and stitching blowing out but I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing a replacement, I can fix both myself easily enough. I will probably pull the cover off and backstitch over the tightest spots just to reinforce it and beef it up a little. Hopefully mine stretches out after some use, I plan to keep some small pillows and a heavy (10lb) two person sleeping bag stowed up there as I have in my previous tents. Worst case scenario I ditch the mattress for a double-wide self inflating pad and gain the room that way.

I can't wait to get out and put this tent to use! :bike_rider:

Box Rocket

I received my Tepui Autana Ruggedized yesterday. I had some serious difficulties with Conway freight but that is another story, it seems like most people have had a good delivery experience so I am willing to write my account off as a fluke and dismiss it.

For reference I am comparing this to an ARB Simpson III and a Hannibal Classic (10+ Years old).

After opening the packaging and unfolding the tent I inspected all of the seams, fabric, base, hinges etc. Everything looked perfect. Straight stitches, no imperfections in the fabric. The fabric itself is interesting, it is not as heavy as the Fabric on the Hannibal I am coming from but it is slightly heavier than the ARB, it also has a sealed/shiny sort of finish inside similar to the ARB. The Hannibal has the same soft touch/uncoated finish on the fabric inside and out. I am wondering if this leads to some of the condensation issues people seem to have with the Tepuis? I've had the Hannibal in 48 hours of torrential PNW downpour without the rainfly and it didn't even wet through where my gear was piled up against the walls (This is on a 10+ year tent with no maintenance) so it seems the inside waterproofing layer might be overkill and causing more problems than it's worth? Pure speculation on my part at this point, but the Hannibal has no roof vents and I have never had any sort of condensation issues and it has been all over in a variety of humid climates.

16975877436_9b5971ed04_z.jpg

My only gripe on the install portion was the plastic plugs filling the holes for the mounting rails and ladder. They are a hard plastic and mine were cracking and brittle. The caps of all but two of them disintegrated when I tried to pry them out. I simply drilled a small pilot hole into the plastic, threaded a wood screw into them and pulled them out. A very minor hassle and they certainly do their job protecting the holes and keeping foreign objects out of the base. Sorry for the nitpicking but I am trying to be as thorough as possible.

Installing the ladder and mounting rails went flawlessly. All hardware was complete and every hole lined up perfectly. I would recommend wiping the rails down with a damp rag, hit them with some compressed air and maybe even throw a little graphite or other dry lube into the channels. When I initially installed the mounting plates they did not slide smoothly and liked to bind up in the channels. After a little cleanup everything was perfect. Top marks on the assembly portion!

Mounting it to my roof rack was a PITA! But that is just due to the extremely low clearance of my BajaRack and no fault of Tepuis. I had to run to Home Depot to get some shorter mounting bolts (10mm x 1.25 thread pitch - 35mm length) and utilize my girlfriends far more nimble hands to get everything bolted up.

After getting everything assembled and installed the only task remaining was installing the cover. It slide into the channel on the base without issue. Getting the zipper started was extremely difficult. It starts on the hinged side so there is no way to compress the tent further without bending the hinge. It took two sets of channel locks and a second person to get the zipper started. It was very tight the entire way around but zipped up fine. I threw the two outside straps over the cover, cinched them down tight and drove 20 miles home. This morning I noticed the zipper has separated on one corner and the stitching holding the zipper to the cover has blown out along the ladder side. This seems extremely unusual to me, every tent I have owned or had past experience with the cover would drop right over the closed up tent like a glove and zip up with no effort. The only times my previous tents were snug was when I had them loaded with all of our sleeping gear. And even then they were merely snug, not zipper exploding tight.

16795768117_6e85a830d1_z.jpg

17003159055_6cc0669c59_z.jpg

Has anyone else had issues with the travel cover or did I just get a defect?

Thanks for posting your feedback! With the canopy, this has been mentioned already but the internal bow for the canopy should be at a 45* angle rather than straight out like the ARB canopy. (in case you didn't have that correct.) Here's a photo of a standard Autana where you can see a glimpse of the canopy box and the angle it should be at.

If it's set up correctly the top of the box should be in the upper corner of the canopy and the sides should all hang down. For the guy wires, if you aren't camping in a place where you can stake them down I will sometimes loop the lines under the bottom of the ladder so that it will keep the canopy tight. You might be able to see that here on my truck.

With the zipper, sorry you've had some struggles. The zipper is two separate pieces that need to be aligned properly to work as smooth as possible. One side of the zipper is slid into the track on the tent base. This part of the zipper can sometimes be slid either too far or not far enough so that it doesn't line up just right with the travel cover and can make it very tight to zip. If that is the case, you should carefully adjust the zipper portion that is attached to the base so that the ends line up well with the ends on the cover. Then it should close smoothly.
The other thing to keep in mind particularly with the Autana is that if you store the annex inside the tent it can make the tent harder to close and the cover will fit tighter. I have found that it helps to fold the annex as flat as possible to allow the tent to close all the way. Also I've found that it helps to store the annex on the hinge side of the tent when it's closed up, rather than the ladder side. Hope this helps a bit.
If you feel like you need to make a warranty claim, contact Griffin at the shop and he will work with you.

Adam,

Thanks for the reply, the quality of customer support I received from you and Tepui directly is what drove this purchase. Regarding the awning I did have it angled at 45* as shown in the photos, the sides were taught so I could not rotate it down any further but the roof was still a little saggy. Not a big deal and probably just need to get my setup method dialed in better, I'll follow up if it's an issue.

I had slid the cover over in the track as much as I could to give myself extra slack to the get the zipper started but it was still very tight. I left the annex and floor in the car so no extra bulk to account for the tight fit.

For some reason I cannot reply without a Mod approving my posts...

EDIT: Funny, of all my pending posts this is the only one that got approved and posted!

Last edited:

doubleroses

Adventurer
haha..it's not us. BTW, Joe did your tent show up?
It did show up. I called on the 30th and was told it was taking a while longer because it had to be reinforced so it would arrive without any damage. It arrived and did have some scratches on it from where the box tore a hole in it but it's only cosmetic stuff. No biggie, I just wish it would have arrived in a more reinforced box. The one it was in didn't look too different than any moving box. There were two pieces of pressed wood covering the Aluminum pieces so they remained untouched. I would post some pictures of how it looks opened but my wife promised me she would wait until I got back to fully open it up :)

I'm stoked about this new tent! if I have enough time I would like to take some leave and go to Ouray again. I'll see if I can take on Black Bear Pass in a stock 100 series. I think it will be able to without any problems.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I'm stoked about this new tent! if I have enough time I would like to take some leave and go to Ouray again. I'll see if I can take on Black Bear Pass in a stock 100 series. I think it will be able to without any problems.

Lemme know how the trip goes to Black Bear Pass. A few of us from Maine are going late summer of 2016. All will be sporting Tepui RTT's :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater