**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
What is everyone's experience with the ruggedized vs non- models? Girlfriend and I are looking at a Kukenam, but debating between the two. We've seen a ruggedized up close, and really liked the quality of everything and weight of the fabric. It would mostly be used on my Tacoma shell, but would also like the option to maybe put it on her Tiguan occasionally. Is the weight difference drastic/noticeable? Especially when loading/unloading? And, how is the fabric and durability on the non-ruggedized models? (haven't been able to see them up close)

Thanks all,
Matt

Box Rocket

Fredgoodsell, I've been waiting for others to respond to your question since you'd probably appreciate hearing directly from users, but feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss this. I've used both the standard Autana and the Kukenam Sky pretty extensively but I currently use two Ruggedized models so I don't have a standard one for you to look at in person, but I can at least offer some insights on the other ones.
You'll probably be looking at an average of 20-30 lbs of weight difference between a standard vs ruggedized tent depending on the model you choose. The standard weight rip-stop poly/cotton is still very durable and I think you'd be very happy with it. I guess it will really come down to whether or not you think you need the higher level of long term durability of the Ruggedized, or if you think you'll be camping in harsher conditions regularly.
If you'd like to call, my number is 8017108110

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
Fredgoodsell, I've been waiting for others to respond to your question since you'd probably appreciate hearing directly from users, but feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss this. I've used both the standard Autana and the Kukenam Sky pretty extensively but I currently use two Ruggedized models so I don't have a standard one for you to look at in person, but I can at least offer some insights on the other ones...

Thanks a lot Adam, appreciate the input. We're wavering between the kukenam ruggedized and sky. I'll try and give a call later this week.
PS: PM'ed you earlier about pricing.

-Matt

kai38

Explorer
I have the Awning extension tent, Its worked out great but since it didn't have set up instructions I'm not sure where a poles goes.
After set up there is a pole with clips on both ends I'm not sure if it snaps into the back wall or the ceiling
Anyone else using this tent?

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
I originally had a Kukenam camo for a number of years that served me very well and was my first RTT. This year I decided to replace it with a Kukenam XL ruggedized. The difference in "ruggedness" is noticeable. Mounted on a CDN M101 trailer, the tent is subject to a lot of off-road conditions when traveling. The diamond plate base on the ruggedized Kukenam is a huge improvement. The softer aluminum base on the regular Kukenam suffered from dings and scratches over the years. I quickly learned to put a mat under the ladder to protect the base from further damage. The ruggedized Kukenam also have additional gear rings on the base and the exterior walls of the tent that come in very handy.

Overall I say it's no contest. If you can afford to go ruggedized then it's a no brainer. I'd also recommend the XL if you can fit it because the extra room is really really nice.

More details on my trailer thread...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82625-CDN-M101-in-Vegas

Last edited:

TheFutur

Adventurer
I have a few questions about the annex for the Kukenam...

After spending 17 days I'm our Kukenam my girlfriend and I are ready to get the annex for it but I remember reading not to long ago that the annex for the kukenam was redesigned? Could anyone post pictures of their annex, preferably on a kukenam tent but I'll take any pictures just to get a better look at it!

Does the kukenam annex cover the ladder or is it on the outside?

And finally for those who do have an annex would you recommend it?

EDIT: I wish I just spent the extra money and got the Autana with the covered ladder when I originally purchased... When I finish school and land a proper job I'm planning on building a new trailer to eventually tow behind an f-150 and will for sure put a Autana ruggedized on top of it! Only two more years!

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I have the Gran Sabana, so my ladder is covered with or without annex. I think on the Kukenam it doesn't cover it. Here's what mine looks like in a garage, I forgot to take any pictures of it when I was at MAOF last month.

e94040b862e3697b1b6e7494417e6255.jpg

58d09015c39be40636ffdfc0be735b2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheFutur

Adventurer
I have the Gran Sabana, so my ladder is covered with or without annex. I think on the Kukenam it doesn't cover it. Here's what mine looks like in a garage, I forgot to take any pictures of it when I was at MAOF last month.

e94040b862e3697b1b6e7494417e6255.jpg

58d09015c39be40636ffdfc0be735b2d.jpg

Nice trailer! How high does your tent sit off the ground on it?

And thanks for the info!

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Nice trailer! How high does your tent sit off the ground on it?

And thanks for the info!

I'd have to measure it, but I'd say about 5 1/2 foot , based on where I hit my head, lol. I thought about flipping the axle under the springs on my trailer, but id need to get a new ball mount for the Jeep and it would keep the tailgate from opening when the trailer is connected, I'm going to keep it the way it is for now.

TheFutur

Adventurer
I must say though, after just getting back from a 17day trip from Vancouver to Whitehorse and back... mad props to tepui for a great product!

My only complaints about the tent is the velcro used in the straps to keep the tent closed and on the cover. I replaced the velcro on the travel cover a day before my trip with buckles but didnt think to do that on the other straps...

Other than that we had no issues with the tent and it even survived a partial closing incident when we were inside it... long story short my home built trailer didnt have stabalizing jacks on the rear bumper and when we were both on the ladder side of the tent planning our next stop the weight pushed down the trailer bumper and the trailers tongue went 7 feet in the air and the tent half closed up on us inside! Luckily no damage and now I'm fixing my trailer design bahaha

Here is a picture of it all set up!

wLXM2MPh.jpg

YA5WROOh.jpg

Box Rocket

I have a few questions about the annex for the Kukenam...

After spending 17 days I'm our Kukenam my girlfriend and I are ready to get the annex for it but I remember reading not to long ago that the annex for the kukenam was redesigned? Could anyone post pictures of their annex, preferably on a kukenam tent but I'll take any pictures just to get a better look at it!

Does the kukenam annex cover the ladder or is it on the outside?

And finally for those who do have an annex would you recommend it?

EDIT: I wish I just spent the extra money and got the Autana with the covered ladder when I originally purchased... When I finish school and land a proper job I'm planning on building a new trailer to eventually tow behind an f-150 and will for sure put a Autana ruggedized on top of it! Only two more years!

I'll check with the shop to confirm details on any redesign. The annex for the Kukenam will be behind the ladder so the ladder is on the outside of the annex. Here's a photo of the Kukenam Ruggedized with annex to give you an idea what it's like.
4e343135352d4c2e6a7067.jpg

TheFutur

Adventurer
I'll check with the shop to confirm details on any redesign. The annex for the Kukenam will be behind the ladder so the ladder is on the outside of the annex. Here's a photo of the Kukenam Ruggedized with annex to give you an idea what it's like.
4e343135352d4c2e6a7067.jpg

Awesome thanks for the picture, I'm thinking that will be perfect for us. It will be awesome to have another room with walls while we camp!

followingariver

Attaching awning to Yakima Rack with Ubolts?

I just got my 6' Tepui awning and, being on the road from Boston to San Diego, I find myself without a drill to put holes in my roof rack to mount it. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I can/should attach the L brackets to the round bars of the yakima with Ubolts?

I thought I could use two Ubolts per bracket, then mount the awning to the bracket in the usual way.

Since I am generally ignorant about things of this nature, any help is appreciated.

- Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven