**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

colorado matt

Adventurer
I would like to know the limits of stuff that can be stored in the tent ... of course I mean just bedding .... but I like to camp like at home .. meaning sheets pillows comforter heavy blanket ... with the grand sabana and the condensation mat and still choosing between pillow top mattress cover or self inflating somethings under the stock mattress how much are you guys getting in there ..... is the limiting factor the hinges or the cover or a combo of both .... could someone enlarge the hinges and thereby forcing a bigger cover to add more stuff .... is there a factory option for bigger mattress ? just curious ... thanks ...Matt

ian408

Observer
I would like to know the limits of stuff that can be stored in the tent ... of course I mean just bedding .... but I like to camp like at home .. meaning sheets pillows comforter heavy blanket ... with the grand sabana and the condensation mat and still choosing between pillow top mattress cover or self inflating somethings under the stock mattress how much are you guys getting in there ..... is the limiting factor the hinges or the cover or a combo of both .... could someone enlarge the hinges and thereby forcing a bigger cover to add more stuff .... is there a factory option for bigger mattress ? just curious ... thanks ...Matt
For me, I keep a couple of pillows and a sleeping bag in the tent. The sleeping pad is pretty comfy as it is. The sleeping bag I use is one that fits the tent base nicely (it's a Teton almost queen sized in a Kukenam Siberian Camo tent).

I'd be surprised if a blanket/sheets didn't fit nicely.

caddo

(we have the gran sabana)

We pulled out the stock mattress, and put in - an utility carpet as base, 2x REI 2.5 self inflating pads and one 2" self inflating thermarest pad (this is to fill the 72" or so across the tent), two slumberjack sleeping bags as extra padding (one 0 degree and one 15 degree), one king size down comforter, 1x fitted and 2x flat bed sheet, three pillows and a coleman 20 degree sleeping bag.. and the tent fold up okay..

we can never figure out a good way to pad the stock mattress to be comfortable for 2+ days but our old ground tent setup seems to works better (self inflating pads and extra sleeping bags) and I'm pretty happy that everything fits in the tent folded.. just wish there are a little less things to deal with.

colorado matt

Adventurer
ok thanks for that .... the thought of dealing with less things is not really a concern ... quick setup and take down, while appealing, would be lost if I am not comfortable .... I know comfort can be subjective ... and whatever is needed to give that level of comfort will be brought along even if it means loading more cushion outside the tent .... wont really know the answer for myself until I have my set-up in hand I guess ..... Matt

Go4Lo

Explorer
First time Tepui owner with a question:

Is the aluminum support pole for the overhang supposed to store inside the tent or do you guys pull it out and store it on top or somewhere else? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't close the tent with the pole in place.

On another note thanks Box Rocket for the hook up on the Gran Sabana. I really like the Siberian Camo even more in person!

Shameless garage camping shot until she is mounted on the truck.

Tepui.03.jpg

Box Rocket

First time Tepui owner with a question:

Is the aluminum support pole for the overhang supposed to store inside the tent or do you guys pull it out and store it on top or somewhere else? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't close the tent with the pole in place.

On another note thanks Box Rocket for the hook up on the Gran Sabana. I really like the Siberian Camo even more in person!

Shameless garage camping shot until she is mounted on the truck.

View attachment 341063
Yes it will store in the tent. It doesn't stay in place, but remove it from the small posts it attaches to and then slide it in alongside the mattress. It will mean you have to tuck the canopy fabric a bit when you close it up but that's how it works. Let me know if you have any other questions. Looking good BTW!

mccustomize

Explorer
Used my Gran Sabana for the first time this past week, 2 guys, 5 days, and we were done setting up and taking down camp well before the other half of our group in ground tents for sure. I do have a couple questions since I bought the tent from a dealer as it was his demo.

How much tension on the bungee cords inside the tent help it pull in the sides? I picked up some bungees but was unsure how much tension I could put on the sides.

It doesn't seem like the fold out half of the platform want to sit level with the portion fixed to the truck when it's deployed, it seems like you have to put some weight on it to get it on the same plane as the fixed portion?

How much overhang would you say is acceptable from where it attaches to the rack?

Thanks for making a great product guys!

Box Rocket

Used my Gran Sabana for the first time this past week, 2 guys, 5 days, and we were done setting up and taking down camp well before the other half of our group in ground tents for sure. I do have a couple questions since I bought the tent from a dealer as it was his demo.

How much tension on the bungee cords inside the tent help it pull in the sides? I picked up some bungees but was unsure how much tension I could put on the sides.

It doesn't seem like the fold out half of the platform want to sit level with the portion fixed to the truck when it's deployed, it seems like you have to put some weight on it to get it on the same plane as the fixed portion?

How much overhang would you say is acceptable from where it attaches to the rack?

Thanks for making a great product guys!

Couple of things. You don't want much tension on the interior bungees. Too much tension can cause the seam to separate over time. Personally, I don't even use the bungees. Not enough benefit to using them vs not IMO.
It can be common for a new tent to have a bit of resistance to opening fully flat at first. But the thing to check is the tongue and groove edge of the two halves of the base in the center. You want to make sure that gets seated correctly. Particularly on the large tents like the Gran Sabana a small bit of deflection can make the joint not seat completely at first. The trick I've found is once the tent is open (if it doesn't open fully flat) to stand under the base and push up on the base of the cantilevered section in the center near that joint and it will align the tongue and groove and seat properly and then open fully flat.
On a standard GS I would suggest no more than 12-18" of overhang from the rack. You can get away with a bit more if you have a Ruggedized model with a more heavy duty base. For example, here's a shot of my Kukenam XL on my trailer (same footprint as the GS) and there are about 20" of overhang from the rack.

mccustomize

Explorer
Thanks for the help! I like using the bungees because it gives me a place to hang the lantern/shoes/etc once I'm inside the tent. Lots of good info in here as well. My tent was more "used" than was relayed to me by the seller IMO honestly, I need to get some tabs sewn back on my rainfly and I want to put some aluminum or something on the base that the ladder slides against. It's pretty beat up from the ladder sliding on it.

Box Rocket

I've seen a few approaches to reduce the wear from the ladder sliding against the base of the standard tents. Here's one solution.
20131114_210610.jpg

I've also seen this approach using adhesive rubber pads. I think you can find these in the trailer supply aisle at Walmart.

TheFutur

Adventurer
I've seen a few approaches to reduce the wear from the ladder sliding against the base of the standard tents. Here's one solution.
20131114_210610.jpg

I've also seen this approach using adhesive rubber pads. I think you can find these in the trailer supply aisle at Walmart.

I dont have any pictures handy but what i do is use one of those rubber puzzle piece mats and just place it on the top of my folded up tent then place the ladder on it. Its worked great for the past year and a bit with not visible signs of wear!

I also use the mat as a floor mat for the ladder when my tent is deployed which is nice to have.

These are the mats, but mine is grey:

search

Go4Lo

Explorer
Stupid Tepui tent question of the day....what are these straps for?

Tent.04.jpg

Also there's a long strap that runs length wise on my tent that I can only figure holds the ladder down?

Box Rocket

Stupid Tepui tent question of the day....what are these straps for?

View attachment 342550

Also there's a long strap that runs length wise on my tent that I can only figure holds the ladder down?

Those straps in the picture are there so you can roll up the travel cover when the tent is open. Use the short Velcro end that is used for the longer cover straps through the rings on those short straps to secure the rolled up cover. Not necessary if you don't want to do it but just keeps things a bit more tidy than having the cover hanging down over the vehicle or in the dirt.
As for the other smaller, long strap, you are correct it's used to go over the ladder when the tent is stowed to minimize the ladder bouncing around while driving. This doesn't need to be super tight.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Those straps in the picture are there so you can roll up the travel cover when the tent is open. Use the short Velcro end that is used for the longer cover straps through the rings on those short straps to secure the rolled up cover. Not necessary if you don't want to do it but just keeps things a bit more tidy than having the cover hanging down over the vehicle or in the dirt.
As for the other smaller, long strap, you are correct it's used to go over the ladder when the tent is stowed to minimize the ladder bouncing around while driving. This doesn't need to be super tight.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the quick response!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk