**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
The new Autana Ruggedized does indeed come with the annex which is also "ruggedized" meaning that it is the same heavy duty canvas material as the tent itself.

Sleeping area of the Kukenam and Autana tents is the same. The differences are that the Autana has the extended canopy over the ladder and includes the annex.

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
Are the ruggedized tents hotter? Living I'm florida I really need something that's going to stay cool in the summer sun.

Excellent question! And, since I'm certainly not in Florida (Ottawa, Canada), is there a winter performance difference?

A.

I would not say they are hotter. The things that will affect the temps inside the tent are airflow, and color of the canvas. The weight of the canvas can have some affect but that's minimal in comparison to the other things.
All of our tents, Ruggedized or not, have excellent ventilation with "doors" on either end of the tent that provide a large opening for air to pass through the tent as well as the large windows that can be opened. I realize that the humidity is much different in Florida, but here in Utah we deal with very high temps in the summer months that regularly hit over 100* in the desert. From my experience, opening up the door and window panels of the tent (and keeping the no-see-um mesh closed to keep bugs out) keeps the tent quite comfortable.
Another great option if ventilation is a primary concern is one of our SKY model tents with the open roof panels. I have a Kukenam Sky on my personal truck and the ventilation with the ceiling open is very nice. You can leave the rainfly in place to help "catch" the air and direct it into the tent through the ceiling.
Back to your original question, I don't think you'd notice any measureable difference in temps with the Ruggedized over the standard model tents. And both of the Ruggedized colors are very good for temps. The Expedition Orange and the Haze Grey are both colors that will not absorb a lot of heat.
As for winter performance the heavier weight canvas of the Ruggedized models and the other heavy duty features like larger internal tent bows and frame will all help with overall durability and weight if you find yourself with a foot of snowfall on your tent when you wake up in the morning.
I will continue to monitor these threads as much as I can and answer questions, but if you have any questions and are looking for a quicker response please feel free to PM me anytime.

Scott Brady

Founder
That new ruggedized unit looks interesting.

DSC_8280.jpg

Box Rocket

That new ruggedized unit looks interesting.

DSC_8280.jpg

thanks Scott. That photo you posted is identical to the gray tent I had on my trailer that you looked at during CruiserFest. The Ruggedized models are available in either "Expedition Orange" or "Haze Grey"

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
How do these models stand up to scandinavian weather ? Is there any dealers in europe ?

Best Regards.
Odd.

These tents will stand up to Scandinavian weather just fine. They are a true 4-season tent. Just to offer a small bit of experience, I haven't spent time in northern Norway, but have spent some time during the winter in the southern end near Oslo, including a week snowboarding in Trysil. I only point that out to say that I have some idea of winter conditions in Norway and I would have no concerns about using these tents in those conditions.
Unfortunately, we do not currently have any dealers in Europe. I am happy to do some checking to see what options we have (if any) to get one to Norway.

chuppie

Observer
Adam,
i just bought the Autana standard model after much research/ hemming and hawing. It weighs 130 lbs. The ruggedized version weighs 180lbs which exceeds the roof load limit of my vehicle and rack. The XL Kukenam version weighs 205 lbs. Just something folks need to consider when selecting a product.

Rick

Box Rocket

Nearly all load bars and roof racks will have a dynamic load rating around 150lbs which is probably what your rack says. Those racks can handle a much higher static load so none of these tents should cause a problem. The way the tent mounting rails are designed the rails spread the load pretty evenly and the weight is carried toward the outer ends where the rack feet are which is the strongest part of the rack. There are many customers of all different brands of tents that are mounting them on a single pair of Thule or Yakima bars with the dynamic load rating of 150lbs. These load bars will handle the weight of the tents just fine. I understand your point however and it's a good reminder to consider the loads you are carrying. If you are just using load bars and you're concerned about the weight, you can always add another load bar or two to help distribute the load.

Edit: Chuppie I just took a look at you vehicle thread. I think your load bars are probably up to the task. To me the question would be with the load capacity of the roof rails on your Forester. Most factory roof rails are adequate but it's probably worth checking.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Chuppie, if it helps you feel more comfortable, it looks like the Forester roof rails are handling the tent loads just fine. Here are pics of several tents mounted directly to the roof rails of several vehicles, or with the addition of a pair of load bars.

And if you were worried about the weight of a Ruggedized tent.....here ya go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven