**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

chuppie

Observer
Thanks Adam,

Subaru says 150lbs maximum distributed on the side rails with cross bars. I put 3-3/4" sheets of plywood (aprx 150lbs) on the roof racks and felt the weight especially at highway speed lane changes so I did not want to go any higher in my application.

My neighbor's son is a State Trooper. He told me he knows of no law for exceeding the maximum roof rack weight limit. A few weeks later, he said he spoke to the accident investigator and was told that the excess weight would only come into play if it came loose and caused an accident or contributed to the loss of control of the car in an accident.

Do you recommend a third/forth rack bar or slotted channel? How much does the additional Tepui hardware cost to do this? In my case it is a bit more difficult because the rack side rails have a radius in them and I would have to shim the front and rear attachment points .

I hope to do the Dalton and Dempster with mine next spring and I wan't to make sure it stays securely fastened and the compression, tension, flexure and shear loads are evenly distributed on the side rails onto the vehicle. After this trip, the RTT. goes onto a trailer and stays there or gets sold.

Regards
Rick

Thanks

Box Rocket

It is always a good idea to follow manufacturer suggested ratings for safety reason. Adding one or two more load bars obviously isn't going to hurt and will help distribute the load if you are concerned about it. Whether you do that with actual branded load bars or some unistrut etc, that's up to you, the effect will be the same and load will be distributed over more area.

chuppie

Observer
Adam,
My tent came today.
I'm dropping out of your tread and putting my impressions in my thread since you may not like everything I have to say.

It is in Expedition Vehicles: Other
Project Boring

Regards
Rick

Box Rocket

Adam,
My tent came today.
I'm dropping out of your tread and putting my impressions in my thread since you may not like everything I have to say.

It is in Expedition Vehicles: Other
Project Boring

Regards
Rick

New thread is fine but here is fine too. Feedback is good. We can't fix issues if we don't know about them. Are your issues with the tent itself or issues that result from shipping?

Last edited:

chuppie

Observer
New thread is fine. Feedback is good. We can't fix issues if we don't know about them.

That did not come out quite like I wanted to say. You responded before I could edit it.
I did not mean to imply that there is anything wrong, but if there is, I did not want to piss all over your thread.

Box Rocket

No problem. You're kind of a "glass half empty" guy huh? :) just kidding. Feel free to share impressions good or bad.

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
ON SALE NOW!!! Tepui Tents is now offering used models for up to 40% off MSRP! Pick up only, so come on by and snag one. Price and model availability vary, so call to get more details. 1.800.301.9874

Box Rocket

more pictures of that tundra please!

He's a friend of mine. Cool Tundra for sure. It's really just a stock doublecab with some slightly larger BFG ATs. He does have airbags in the rear to help with the towing he does. He's using a FrontRunner rack over the bed with some custom "legs" that he designed and built. Lots of radio equipment on the truck and of course the cool retro graphics. It's also a chase truck for Canguro Racing, a desert race team.

stingray1300

Explorer
It is always a good idea to follow manufacturer suggested ratings for safety reason. Adding one or two more load bars obviously isn't going to hurt and will help distribute the load if you are concerned about it. Whether you do that with actual branded load bars or some unistrut etc, that's up to you, the effect will be the same and load will be distributed over more area.

After spending a month with our Tepui Sabana in the Yukon and Alaska, I have decided to get a 3rd cross bar for our Thule rack system; for 2 reasons:

1- with just 2 of us (total of about 380lbs), the tent rails will bow a bit. And this makes in more difficult to unfold the tent and get the center joint to mate properly.
2- my weight caused one of the Thule cross bars to deflect a bit (and it stayed deflected).

I won't have to attach the tent to the 3rd (center) bar, just let it carry some of the weight. But I will have a talk with my Thule dealer though, as each bar is supposed to be rated for 300lbs.

I would personally like to see the tent rails spread another 6 inches at least. It would move the weight distribution outward, closer to the rack towers. -I guess I could remount them, eh?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I saw these at Expo last year. I like the ruggedized ones, but I think one with an roof opening would be super duper awesome. I wonder if I could pre arrange to have one (the tent pre paid by me of course) brought to Expo 2015 by the vendor, then picked up by me, the happy new owner guy. Sound plausible maybe?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Box Rocket

After spending a month with our Tepui Sabana in the Yukon and Alaska, I have decided to get a 3rd cross bar for our Thule rack system; for 2 reasons:

1- with just 2 of us (total of about 380lbs), the tent rails will bow a bit. And this makes in more difficult to unfold the tent and get the center joint to mate properly.
2- my weight caused one of the Thule cross bars to deflect a bit (and it stayed deflected).

I won't have to attach the tent to the 3rd (center) bar, just let it carry some of the weight. But I will have a talk with my Thule dealer though, as each bar is supposed to be rated for 300lbs.

I would personally like to see the tent rails spread another 6 inches at least. It would move the weight distribution outward, closer to the rack towers. -I guess I could remount them, eh?

I would not recommend you move the tent mounting rails further outboard. It will exacerbate the problem you say you are having with the center of the tent not seating correctly when the tent is opened. It will make for a wider unsupported section in the middle that could allow it to bow and not seat correctly. This is not an issue at all with most of the tents but these bigger tents have the potential to have this issue if they are not support correctly. That is why we recommend either adding extra load bars (3-4 total) to support the bigger tents or have them mounted to a roofrack that gives full support underneath the tent. For the bigger tents, using a single pair of load bars will work but is not ideal. Three or four load bars will go a long way to provide adequate support for the tent.

I saw these at Expo last year. I like the ruggedized ones, but I think one with an roof opening would be super duper awesome. I wonder if I could pre arrange to have one (the tent pre paid by me of course) brought to Expo 2015 by the vendor, then picked up by me, the happy new owner guy. Sound plausible maybe?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

It's possible. The guys at the shop in CA might be willing to bring one with them for a small fee. If I come down from SLC, Utah next year for the Expo I'd be willing to bring one down with me too. Your best bet is to call the shop and see what they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven