**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Box Rocket

Any suggestions for a trailer-mounted tent with an annex like the Autana, but for a low mount? My trailer should sit around 42-44" at the top of the body when it's complete and I'm trying to avoid adding a rack to it. It seems like all of these are intended for a roof top mount (heh, I wonder why) and will need a rack to raise the height from a trailer.

The only tent of this type that I am aware of that is designed to be mounted low on a trailer AND include an annex is the Globe Trotter tent from Eezi-Awn. It's a very nice tent but be prepared for sticker shock. It will cost you 4x the price of a Tepui Autana. :)
http://www.equipt1.com/item/Globe-Trotter-Trailer-Tent

If you look at the Globe Trotter, the way they are able to get the use of the full height of the annex is to have the sleeping area cut in half from most other tents. So instead of the tent opening up completely flat it opens the opening side to about 45* and the annex hangs from that. But it means the sleeping area is only as large as the closed footprint of the tent.
I fully understand the desire to keep the tent mounted as low as possible. I had the same dilemma with my own trailer but I had the Autana. I did not want it mounted at the recommended 6' height all the time. That's why I built a telescoping rack for the tent so it normally sits at a height around 50" and then when we need to use the annex I can raise the rack up to the 6' height to allow use of the full annex.

dstock

Explorer
They're on my list, but didn't want to wait until Gobi got around to "making" a set of crossbars and actually shipping them to me before I could mount my tent. The RTT is on there now, so I'll get them eventually (it pretty much lives full time on my rack). I love Gobi, but their batch processing manufacturing is a killer when you're in a pinch and need an accessory. I did discover that the Yakima mounts work pretty well for a one bolt solution if you put some tread tape on the crossbar.

Ha! I know what you mean about the wait times, which is exactly why even though I have my RTT mounted on my trailer, I still can't bring myself to give up my pair of load bars, even though they haven't been used yet. Trailer purchase happened much sooner than expected.
On the upside, when I do want to go without the trailer, I can attach the load bars and just slide it across to the Gobi. Now will I do that? Who knows, but just can't bring myself to give up the option...lol

frenchlayer

Observer
Got my kukenam xl ruggedized mounted up and trailer almost finished
b89006bf7c1395a4683cae6dac4db52e.jpg

bafeacaa8b4dda17988254419554e00d.jpg

58740b1cf3728e95ea1898aa1fd28653.jpg

e6b237cfa9fe4e1e10496c9bc6ffb14e.jpg

Sent from the ether

frenchlayer

Observer
I highly doubt the 200# tent will flip the 1300# trailer, plus I want to use the annex and a center mount wouldn't work

Sent from the ether

Mark K

Observer
I was also thinking about the weight distribution while going down the road. Not sure if that is a concern or not.

lala412

Daydream Believer
What other requests for colors?

Darn. I missed my chance to vote for pink camo. ;-)

I have a nephew who would *love* the expedition orange. Over half of his t-shirts are orange - almost the same color as that tent - and have been since he was about two. He's almost sixteen!

I do love the grey, and the Siberian one.

Question - once my tent is on my SUV, it's not coming off. I don't have anyone to help me, and I travel a lot for work, staying for months at a time, so I would have nowhere to put it anyway if I did try to take it off. I've been torn between the Autana Sky and the Autohome Air Top because of this, both because of fuel efficiency and wear and tear on the tent. How much is it going to hurt the tent if I leave it on there non-stop for years? I do plan to use it often, but like I said - once it's on there, it's not coming back off.

Box Rocket

Darn. I missed my chance to vote for pink camo. ;-)

I have a nephew who would *love* the expedition orange. Over half of his t-shirts are orange - almost the same color as that tent - and have been since he was about two. He's almost sixteen!

I do love the grey, and the Siberian one.

Question - once my tent is on my SUV, it's not coming off. I don't have anyone to help me, and I travel a lot for work, staying for months at a time, so I would have nowhere to put it anyway if I did try to take it off. I've been torn between the Autana Sky and the Autohome Air Top because of this, both because of fuel efficiency and wear and tear on the tent. How much is it going to hurt the tent if I leave it on there non-stop for years? I do plan to use it often, but like I said - once it's on there, it's not coming back off.

A lot of people leave their tents mounted full time. It shouldn't hurt the tent at all, unless you have a damaged cover and the tent material gets over-exposed to the elements. The PVC coated travel cover is really durable and will hold up surprisingly well to the elements even when left outside full time. As with any fabric, the sun will deteriorate fabric items over time but Tepui uses the most durable materials possible so they should last you a long time even in extreme conditions. We also have replacement parts, like travel covers and the nylon straps if you ever need it since the travel cover would likely be the only part to possibly worry about long term.

frenchlayer

Observer
Can you tell me what these loops are for on each side of the doors?
72127b53efa70bb2bc59eaf1e80e93c3.jpg

3 on each side on both sides of the tent

Sent from the ether

Box Rocket

Can you tell me what these loops are for on each side of the doors?
3 on each side on both sides of the tent

Sent from the ether
for hanging things. There are some like those on the tent for lightweight stuff like a towel or bathing suit, and heavier duty ones on the tent base for stuff like baskets for shoes etc.
Also just so you know the spring rods for the windows/fly should go through the little slots in the lower skirt fabric instead of under it like you have in the photo. That way the lower skirt won't collect rain water and other crap.

frenchlayer

Observer
Yeah that was my first setup and realized after it was done to put them in the slots

Thanks for the explanation

Sent from the ether

Box Rocket

Here's an update for those following the thread. Looks like the Olive Green Ruggedized models are finally happening. As long as the delivery of the material is on time it looks like we should have the first batch mid-to-late May. We will have 15 of each of the Kukenam Ruggedized, Kukenam XL Ruggedized and the Autana Ruggedized in Green as well as a few annexes for the Kukenam and Kukenam XL. Sorry, no green Gran Sabana Ruggedized for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat