Tepui Tent RTT

grogie

Like to Camp
So I saw the new Tepui black cover recently and loved it! Here is my request that Tepui also sells the black top for the Ayer tent. PLEASE. :)

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
The black cover might work well in Indiana, but here n Florida you'll need oven mitts to get within a foot of the thing at noon in August.

I painted my covers to match my trailer, anyway.

Burley

Adventurer
Go Ruggedized or not?

I'm hoping this summer if not sooner to be purchasing my new RTT. I'll be camping with my wife and 2 young daughters (5 and 2 years old), so I'm looking at the larger 4 man tents: the Kukenam XL Ruggedized and the Gran Sabana. I want to know what you guys think about how necessary the Ruggedized option is? The Gran Sabana is larger, has a covered entry, comes with the annex and is cheaper. However the Ruggedized option is really hard to turn down. When the price starts to approach $2000, making sure the tent is durable enough to last long enough to get our money's worth out of it is a big deal. What do you guys think?

Box Rocket

I'm hoping this summer if not sooner to be purchasing my new RTT. I'll be camping with my wife and 2 young daughters (5 and 2 years old), so I'm looking at the larger 4 man tents: the Kukenam XL Ruggedized and the Gran Sabana. I want to know what you guys think about how necessary the Ruggedized option is? The Gran Sabana is larger, has a covered entry, comes with the annex and is cheaper. However the Ruggedized option is really hard to turn down. When the price starts to approach $2000, making sure the tent is durable enough to last long enough to get our money's worth out of it is a big deal. What do you guys think?

I LOVE my Ruggedized XL and the extra durability. But the *standard* tents are no slouch. When I had my standard Autana I used it heavily for 3 years before I sold it. It still looked almost new. So while the Gran Sabana may not be quite as tough as the Ruggedized it will still serve you well. the other reason I would suggest the Gran Sabana is specifically for your wife. It was a big deal for my wife to have a tent with the extended canopy and annex. It meant she could get up in the morning and climb down into the annex and get dressed comfortably and in total privacy without having to get out of the tent. With the Ruggedized XL you'd have to climb down on the outside of the annex first. From my experience, every little thing you can do to make the experience more comfortable for the ladies will all pay off and result in more willingness to join you on trips.

Burley

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick response. I can definitely see my wife liking all the added extra privacy of the Gran Sabana. Even though I think I might sleep better knowing the tent is the stoutest version, I'm out numbered 3 to 1 with the ladies, so what they want they usually get!

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Thanks for the quick response. I can definitely see my wife liking all the added extra privacy of the Gran Sabana. Even though I think I might sleep better knowing the tent is the stoutest version, I'm out numbered 3 to 1 with the ladies, so what they want they usually get!

I just bought the Autana, my wife loves the covered entrance and so do I. I was on the fence about a Kukenam vs Autana for literally 4 or 5 years before I finally pulled the trigger. I was debating how much I'd actually use the annex, is it worth lugging around, is it worth the time? Yes! It was awesome on my 3 day camping getaway. Two of my friends slept down below one night and when we got sick of watching the fire we put my Mr Buddy in the annex with 3 chairs, ice chest and camp table, we hung out for hours in 67 degree warmth vs 32 outside. Its great for dogs, especially if you own a 75 pound German shepherd, changing, dirty boots, what ever. And if your not feeling it, leave the annex at home. Its really a great option. As far as ruggedized goes I could see the benefit in buying one, especially if you use it a lot and your family will be joining you often. Undoubtedly it will handle the constant traffic better, I think the biggest plus would be the beefier floor if I remember correctly. In all honesty I think you'd be fine with any Tepui that suits your needs. I'm confident the overall materials and construction of any of the "non ruggedized" models will give you years of good use. I don't know for a fact how much of the tent is serviceable but it looks pretty modular incase something ever wore out or broke. Thats another plus.

FYI: If you buy a tent...
Probably the best thing, like any fabric, is gently blow it off with compressed air, that way the abrasiveness of the dust and dirt doesn't wear down the fabric and waterproofing when its stowed away.

Burley

Adventurer
I just bought the Autana, my wife loves the covered entrance and so do I. I was on the fence about a Kukenam vs Autana for literally 4 or 5 years before I finally pulled the trigger. I was debating how much I'd actually use the annex, is it worth lugging around, is it worth the time? Yes! It was awesome on my 3 day camping getaway. Two of my friends slept down below one night and when we got sick of watching the fire we put my Mr Buddy in the annex with 3 chairs, ice chest and camp table, we hung out for hours in 67 degree warmth vs 32 outside. Its great for dogs, especially if you own a 75 pound German shepherd, changing, dirty boots, what ever. And if your not feeling it, leave the annex at home. Its really a great option. As far as ruggedized goes I could see the benefit in buying one, especially if you use it a lot and your family will be joining you often. Undoubtedly it will handle the constant traffic better, I think the biggest plus would be the beefier floor if I remember correctly. In all honesty I think you'd be fine with any Tepui that suits your needs. I'm confident the overall materials and construction of any of the "non ruggedized" models will give you years of good use. I don't know for a fact how much of the tent is serviceable but it looks pretty modular incase something ever wore out or broke. Thats another plus.

FYI: If you buy a tent...
Probably the best thing, like any fabric, is gently blow it off with compressed air, that way the abrasiveness of the dust and dirt doesn't wear down the fabric and waterproofing when its stowed away.

Thanks for the input. I really like the Autana, especially the Ruggedized Autana. It's just not quite big enough for my needs. If only they made the Gran Sabana in a Ruggedized version this would be a no brainer.

Box Rocket

Thanks for the input. I really like the Autana, especially the Ruggedized Autana. It's just not quite big enough for my needs. If only they made the Gran Sabana in a Ruggedized version this would be a no brainer.

A Ruggedized Gran Sabana is in the works.

Box Rocket

More info please... Time frame? Price? Olive Green?
I posted this in the main Tepui thread back on Dec 21.
"I just got word that the Ruggedized Gran Sabana is going to production and ETA looks like mid to late February. Should be available first in Haze Grey with Expedition Orange to follow later."

I don't have final pricing yet. Also the Olive Green option is still in the works and has not been finalized (although its likely). If the Green option becomes a reality it will probably be mid-spring before they'll be available in that color.

Mark K

Observer
I noticed for the first time in the boonies that the cover for the joint by the hinge is a triangle shape with a rectanglar cover that does not fit at all and is mostly worthless.

DSC01677.jpg

Maxcustody

Explorer
I am headed out tomorrow at 5am camping this weekend in NC at the Winter Safari....Pisgah Nat forrest. Can't wait to use mine again. I love it.

IMG_1309.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven