Tepui Tent RTT

Box Rocket

I noticed for the first time in the boonies that the cover for the joint by the hinge is a triangle shape with a rectanglar cover that does not fit at all and is mostly worthless.

View attachment 268749

You've got some weird stretching going on in that photo where the sides are being pulled out toward the corners. That cover your showing will straighten out and the Velcro will line up. At least it has on all of my tents. Can you snap a couple more photos of that area with the outer flap lifted up so we can see how it's working underneath? My guess is we can get it sorted out so it isn't "worthless". ;)

Mark K

Observer
Either way, it got down well below freezing and I never froze my *** off like in the tent made of mesh.
Just my sleeping bag and my wool blanket for over my head and I was warm as I needed to be. One night there was heavy winds and it did not matter a bit.

Also, considering how fast I can put it up and down, I think this is a winner.

Box Rocket

It's still what I suspected. The base perimeter of the tent material has that corded piece that slides into the track. It goes all the way around so you'll have to start from the opposite side and slowly adjust the material over in the track to close the gap. A bit of a pain but fixable.

Whtshos

Observer
I'm hoping this summer if not sooner to be purchasing my new RTT. I'll be camping with my wife and 2 young daughters (5 and 2 years old), so I'm looking at the larger 4 man tents: the Kukenam XL Ruggedized and the Gran Sabana. I want to know what you guys think about how necessary the Ruggedized option is? The Gran Sabana is larger, has a covered entry, comes with the annex and is cheaper. However the Ruggedized option is really hard to turn down. When the price starts to approach $2000, making sure the tent is durable enough to last long enough to get our money's worth out of it is a big deal. What do you guys think?
I have learned that the tent will not make you camp more, but it will change the outlook of significant others and ALLOW you to take them more often. This was a big deal for me to prove to myself. YES, the tag is very hard to accept UNTIL everybody enjoys the home-away-from home. ( First long weekend out ). If you are considering the Gran Sabana, hold on for a bit longer, Ruggedized might be on the way soon!
We fell in love with our Gran the first day. Haven't even set it up for the annex yet. ( still need to finish the lift spring assembly ) the bed is a California King and sleeps great.
You will not be disappointed. I was on the fence for a long time!! Encountered a few hiccups along the way, but super satisfied with the whole TEPUI team and product. If severe conditions are a concern, look at the hood that is offered.

Box Rocket

I have learned that the tent will not make you camp more, but it will change the outlook of significant others and ALLOW you to take them more often. This was a big deal for me to prove to myself. YES, the tag is very hard to accept UNTIL everybody enjoys the home-away-from home. ( First long weekend out ). If you are considering the Gran Sabana, hold on for a bit longer, Ruggedized might be on the way soon!
We fell in love with our Gran the first day. Haven't even set it up for the annex yet. ( still need to finish the lift spring assembly ) the bed is a California King and sleeps great.
You will not be disappointed. I was on the fence for a long time!! Encountered a few hiccups along the way, but super satisfied with the whole TEPUI team and product. If severe conditions are a concern, look at the hood that is offered.

I agree with this. My wife and kids all enjoy camping but before we had our tents, I needed to do a little persuasion to get my wife to agree to come along. Now with the RTTs I never have to convince any of them to go. I just suggest camping and they are all on board. The tents made a HUGE difference in my families willingness and excitement to camp.
As for the Ruggedized Gran Sabana.....last word was mid-February when they will be available but Tepui is kinda testing the waters and only did a small run of them. I believe there are only 10 Gran Sabana Ruggedized that will be available when the shipment arrives. It's very possible that they will go quickly. If the interest is high, then it's very likely that a larger run will happen in the future. I should probably note that the Gran Sabana is a big tent (as most of you know) and with the upgraded materials on the Ruggedized version it makes an already big, heavy tent a bit heavier especially since the annex is also made using the Ruggedized material. Without question it will be one of the very toughest tents on the market but the extra weight may be worth considering. I do not have actual weight numbers yet, but when I do I will share them. I'm guessing somewhere close to 200#. I can see the Gran Sabana being a perfect trailer RTT. But some people may not want 200# on top of their vehicle.

Mark K

Observer
When it warms up here I will see if I can spin the fabric to the correct spot. I tried to tug it in place, but it didn't budge when I tried it in AZ.

I am glad we have you to babysit us.

aaen

Adventurer
Does anyone know the length of the attachment rails on the underside of the tent? I'm looking at creating a rack where I can use one of the attachment points as a pivot and lift it up like a fixed tonnes cover. Just trying to figure out where I can attach the rack to on the bottom of the tent so when I lift the tent it does not impact the bed rails and it swings up enough so I can access the front of the bed.

Was originally debating having it set up 6 inches off the bed and having it on cams, so I could stand on the tail gate and deadlift, it up to the height of the cab using gas struts to facilitate this. But then realized it was going to be one expensive rack and make a lot of noise driving around with it on the bumpy roads.

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Box Rocket

Does anyone know the length of the attachment rails on the underside of the tent? I'm looking at creating a rack where I can use one of the attachment points as a pivot and lift it up like a fixed tonnes cover. Just trying to figure out where I can attach the rack to on the bottom of the tent so when I lift the tent it does not impact the bed rails and it swings up enough so I can access the front of the bed.

Was originally debating having it set up 6 inches off the bed and having it on cams, so I could stand on the tail gate and deadlift, it up to the height of the cab using gas struts to facilitate this. But then realized it was going to be one expensive rack and make a lot of noise driving around with it on the bumpy roads.

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Depends on the tent but the rails match the length of the long axis of the tent base. Some people will turn the rails to run along the short axis so they can have the tent open toward the rear rather than off the side. If that is down then the rails need to be cut down to match the narrower width.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The Kukenam rails are 56" long (uncut)/w hole ctrs 32" apart (in parallel)-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

aaen

Adventurer
Thanks!! I should be at work but I'm busy drawing up sketches to get this to work and hopefully not cost a small fortune. If I ever figure it out! I may just go with the Yakima control towers, get three sets, leave one set loose, take the strap off the middle set so it is just a support, and use the rear tower to secure it tightly. Might do the same thing and cost a lot less.

Needs more thought and I have nothing to do but sit in the truck tomorrow watching some guys place liner in a pond.

Steve

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The two bars can be cut-to fit-

Thanks!! I should be at work but I'm busy drawing up sketches to get this to work and hopefully not cost a small fortune. If I ever figure it out! I may just go with the Yakima control towers, get three sets, leave one set loose, take the strap off the middle set so it is just a support, and use the rear tower to secure it tightly. Might do the same thing and cost a lot less.

Needs more thought and I have nothing to do but sit in the truck tomorrow watching some guys place liner in a pond.

Steve

I think they can be shortened about 6", but I'm not positive on that one-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

aaen

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

In planning to install the tent so it opens up to the side of the truck. My bed on the tundra is I think 78" give or take an inch. Plan is to keep the tent about 12 inches from the cab, so I can pivot the tent up about 45 degrees. That should leave me with about 4 inches of room to the cab from my rough sketches. And still have about a foot at the rear. Basically I'm centring the tent on the bed. Just need to find a decent roll up tonneau cover so I have dry/secure storage for my dive gear

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven