Tepui Tent RTT

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Thanks grogie / theBostonianX. After one close call nearly dropping the tent on the ground...and an instance of actually dropping it on my head and then to the ground I figured there has to be a better way.

Longterm goal is to buy a house with a 10ft garage so I can install a ceiling hoist. Until then I have to this lifting frame.

I'm surprised Tepui doesn't offer a quick release mounting system. Those bolts can be a real pain to put on and take off.

grogie

Like to Camp
^That really is cool. I can imagine it would be tough to take an RTT off by yourself?! My wife would never help... lol.

We'll it's probably a bit of a liability concern to have a quick release system? You want that tent well bolted down! :)

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Very good engineering, but

Rockin' a Kukenam on the Jeep. Three seasons in and still hanging in there.

17a984ff239edcfb86ce13c413440333.jpg

Added quick release hitch pins, extruded square aluminum tubing load bars, and aluminum angle feet to make the task of mounting the tent a but easier. My MBRP roof rack doesn't leave much room to fiddle with wrenches (even the ratcheting variety) to tighten the mounting nuts that came with the tent.

bfd698e1897d7a06e59116d11469ab27.jpg

27b969e2a1391d4bafed5c20bcdcce15.jpg

b2290c10e5a640b550e9ffd4f7d510fe.jpg

Also made a lifting frame to aid in getting the tent onto the roof so it doesn't fall on my head...again when taking it off.

57bc7b0f77f647ddcc254ba2e1aab3ff.jpg

I found my TeePee doesn't belong on the jeep-

Very good choice in the MBRP rack too-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Mark K

Observer
I just pick mine up and set it on top. It is only about 100 pounds. If the day comes that I can't lift a mere 100 pounds then the reason to mount it will be gone.

c_mack9

Adventurer
The weight doesn't bother me but the 4x4 awkward size of it does. It's hard to grab each side and manage to lift with your arms out that wide. I moung mine on so bars that span across the bed of my truck so I can lean it on the tailgate, lift the bottom and slide it back onto the bars. It's easy enough to do solo, but I still avoid taking it on and off when I can.

theBostonianX

Adventurer
Me too, its not that heavy just awkward to carry.

I started putting 2 ratchet straps around it to give me something to hold on to, but it's still cumbersome to carry.

Box Rocket

Why are the new covers black? I know they look good but those things are going to be too hot to touch during the summer.
Not all the covers are black. All standard model tents have the grey cover. The Ruggedized tents have the black covers. If you own a Ruggedized tent with a black cover, you could sell it (there are always people looking for black covers), and put the money toward a grey cover. Let me know if you want one and I can get you a bit of a discount.

prime

Howdy! I just purchased a Kukenam Ruggedized in haze gray to replace the Wild Boar Camp-n-Case on my home built trailer. I am redoing the mount/rack points as I was previously using the old tent and the cover of my storage area.

Anyway, can anyone tell me the width of the the two tracks that attach to the bottom of the tent so I can make sure the new rack will accommodate?

Thanks!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The two bars are about 35"apart, outside dimension and 32" hole center/hole center

Howdy! I just purchased a Kukenam Ruggedized in haze gray to replace the Wild Boar Camp-n-Case on my home built trailer. I am redoing the mount/rack points as I was previously using the old tent and the cover of my storage area.

Anyway, can anyone tell me the width of the the two tracks that attach to the bottom of the tent so I can make sure the new rack will accommodate?

Thanks!

Uncut, they're about 55" long-as I can kinda measure on my trailer-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven