Tepui Tent RTT

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: No problem, mines Black and there's no problem with the sun/heat-

I camp in 100 degree desert heat often, it's not really a problem for me

I've gotta gray one for sale if you want one-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

This was taken on a 34C (93F) day - now, sun was setting and it was cooling down, but still comfy.
Slept in the next morning until about 9am and tent was starting to warm up with the sun and dark colors, but still comfortable with windows open and air flow happening.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Active Approach to Elimination Mattress/Floor Condensation

After spending a lot of time viewing the many ways people are addressing condensation buildup between the mattress and tent floor (a fundamental design flaw of metal floored tents and open cell foam mattresses), and time spent drying out the mattress after camping trips, I'll going to install a more "active" approach to mitigate the problem...

Tent Base Ventilation (Complete).jpg

Tent Base Ventilation (X-ray).jpg

Tent Base Ventilation (Fan Cover Plate Removed).jpg

The outer perimeter, channels, and baffles will be cut from a sheet of 1" thick 4'x8' extruded polystyrene rigid foam insulation; the centre grid will be stacked 12" x 12" interlocking Multy tiles; and the fan cover plate cut from a sheet of 1/4" thick polycarbonate sheet. The active part if the design will be the 120mm 12V 105 CFM case fan that is intended to draw moisture laden air through the Multy tiles (the area where I have observed the greatest accumulations of condensation) and outer perimeter channels. The Multy tiles and foam insulation will be secured to the floor with a combination of self tapping sheet metal screws and construction adhesive. The fan will draw power from my aux battery.

I'll post some pictures of the completed installation, and report back with details regarding the effectiveness of the system.

Let the slicin' and dicin' begin!

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
WARNING: GLIB BUT SERIOUS STATEMENT AHEAD!

I've found that, with an anti-condensation mat, folding the tent, installing the cover, then driving 2,200 miles @ 60-80MPH works rather well, too. The billowing of the cover constantly pulls & pushes ambient air in & out of the closed tent.

Went from wringing out wet in Ouray, and, over three days of driving, it was bone dry on arrival in West Palm Beach.

- And that was with driving through monsoonal rains in Texas & Florida.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
After spending a lot of time viewing the many ways people are addressing condensation buildup between the mattress and tent floor (a fundamental design flaw of metal floored tents and open cell foam mattresses), and time spent drying out the mattress after camping trips, I'll going to install a more "active" approach to mitigate the problem...

The outer perimeter, channels, and baffles will be cut from a sheet of 1" thick 4'x8' extruded polystyrene rigid foam insulation; the centre grid will be stacked 12" x 12" interlocking Multy tiles; and the fan cover plate cut from a sheet of 1/4" thick polycarbonate sheet. The active part if the design will be the 120mm 12V 105 CFM case fan that is intended to draw moisture laden air through the Multy tiles (the area where I have observed the greatest accumulations of condensation) and outer perimeter channels. The Multy tiles and foam insulation will be secured to the floor with a combination of self tapping sheet metal screws and construction adhesive. The fan will draw power from my aux battery.

I'll post some pictures of the completed installation, and report back with details regarding the effectiveness of the system.

Let the slicin' and dicin' begin!

I presume you will be documenting with numerous pictures and posting...thanks...:coffee::coffeedrink:

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
^^^^
This.

Besides moisture management, the active heating & cooling possibilities of this concept make me no less than giddy.

MANY photos & details!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I like where this anti condensation talk is going.

I am using the marine Hyper Vent system, which works well, but there is still some condensation. About 1/20 of what there is without, but still a pain in winter camping when you want to pack your RTT away. Spoke to the guys from Howling Moon (if I recall) at NWOR, and they use a wood floor system to help avoid a lot of this. I imagine it will still do it a bit in the colder months, but it would transfer less heat than aluminum. Plus, the marine plywood is pretty sweet looking... old skool and all.

Nice tents too.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
I like where this anti condensation talk is going.

I am using the marine Hyper Vent system, which works well, but there is still some condensation. About 1/20 of what there is without, but still a pain in winter camping when you want to pack your RTT away. Spoke to the guys from Howling Moon (if I recall) at NWOR, and they use a wood floor system to help avoid a lot of this. I imagine it will still do it a bit in the colder months, but it would transfer less heat than aluminum. Plus, the marine plywood is pretty sweet looking... old skool and all.

Nice tents too.

"Winter camping"..."colder months" you are welcome to come down to our ranch during any Alberta winter to experience winter camping...I guarantee no condensation...perhaps some light icing...we'll keep you close to the house just in case...lol

Box Rocket

Stay tuned for a new product from Tepui that will be a nice new option to help with winter camping/condensation.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Stay tuned for a new product from Tepui that will be a nice new option to help with winter camping/condensation.
Is this announcement hours, days, weeks, or months away? Just wondering as I'm getting ready to "deal" with this condensation issue once and for all and may hold off if this announcement is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Any hints you can drop as to what benefits this new product will have over the current condensation mats I've seen on Tepui's website and others across the Internets? Will it prevent condensation from collecting or is it another means of keeping the mattress off the aluminum floor of the Kukenam and other tents of similar floor construction where condensation tends to accumulate?

Box Rocket

From what I know it should be announced sometime before the fall/winter camping season. The Tepui AC Mat is one of the best on the market already and is quite effective. Have you used it? This new product will be something in addition to the AC mat.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I haven't used the AC mat from Tepui, but from other user's comments, and my understanding of how this type of product works, AC mat-style products on their own don't meet my needs. I'm sure Tepui's AC mat is top shelf like the rest of their products. I've been enjoying my Kukenam for 3 years with my only issue being condensation collecting on the floor and soaking into the mattress.

I need a product that works to prevent condensation from collecting in the first place combined with keeping the mattress away from condensation that does collect.

The "active" part of the system I'm planning to install uses a small fan to induce a small flow of air to circulate under the mattress from the head end to the bottom end and out through the floor. The intention being the removal of moisture laden air under the mattress before it has a chance to condense...or at least reduce the amount of moisture that does condense.

I suppose a simpler approach would be to replace the mattress with a closed cell foam cut to size to fit the protective cover....assuming that the closed cell foam doesn't allow water vapour to pass through it to condense on the cool aluminum flooring.

Or installing an insulating floor covering to eliminate to cool floor and surface on which condensation can form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven