Tepui Tent RTT

osidepunker

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

In planning to install the tent so it opens up to the side of the truck. My bed on the tundra is I think 78" give or take an inch. Plan is to keep the tent about 12 inches from the cab, so I can pivot the tent up about 45 degrees. That should leave me with about 4 inches of room to the cab from my rough sketches. And still have about a foot at the rear. Basically I'm centring the tent on the bed. Just need to find a decent roll up tonneau cover so I have dry/secure storage for my dive gear

Steve

I hinging mine too but I decided to have it open to the side so its can sit close to the cab. Ill lose one tent window cuz itll be right up against the cab, but Im not worried about it

grogie

Like to Camp
You've got some weird stretching going on in that photo where the sides are being pulled out toward the corners. That cover your showing will straighten out and the Velcro will line up. At least it has on all of my tents. Can you snap a couple more photos of that area with the outer flap lifted up so we can see how it's working underneath? My guess is we can get it sorted out so it isn't "worthless". ;)

It's still what I suspected. The base perimeter of the tent material has that corded piece that slides into the track. It goes all the way around so you'll have to start from the opposite side and slowly adjust the material over in the track to close the gap. A bit of a pain but fixable.

My Ayer has this exact same issue. I'll keep this in mind when I open it up again.

c_mack9

Adventurer
Would anyone mind measuring the span on the bolts on the mounting brackets? I'm hoping there's about a 3" gap inbetween them but I cannot find a measurment anywhere. I'm referring to the gap in the holes on the flat stock thatgoes under the crossbars.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I tried to pull the bottoms closer but there was no movement.

Mine does that too when I open it, but I am able to pull both sides inline and get the velcro to seal nicely (CVT not Tepui but same design). It looks like yours might need some tweaking to get it to align correctly. One side in that pic is a lot further away from center. Are both sides of the tent the same?

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Would anyone mind measuring the span on the bolts on the mounting brackets? I'm hoping there's about a 3" gap inbetween them but I cannot find a measurment anywhere. I'm referring to the gap in the holes on the flat stock thatgoes under the crossbars.

It's roughly 3 3/4" center to center.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
FYI the mounts that the bolts stick out of slide independently along the track under the tent. Essentially you could get any length bolt at the hardware store and any length flat stock steel, cut and drill your own holes and mount the tent to damn near any size cross bar, tube, rack or what ever.

c_mack9

Adventurer
Thanks guys, that's what I was needing to know. I need about 3 inches to clear my new bars, so I was needing to know if I needed to go ahead and drill some new flat stock or not.

loudboy

Observer
Had a bed rack fabbed up for my little Tacoma and am really happy with the results. A local welder here in Portland, by the name of Brad did an excellent job welding it out of aluminum (bradleyrasmussen(AT)gmail.com). Strong as hell and only weights 30lbs. I can share the Google Sketchup 3d Model if anyone is interested.

grogie

Like to Camp
Most recent Tepui in action pic.

k6yNud.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Envy-Envy-Envy !

Most recent Tepui in action pic.

k6yNud.jpg

Maybe I better find a job so I can get some time to get that tent out--I can't even get the jeep out-

I spent 6 weeks in LA and now I'm in Vegas for 15 days-

Ain't no juckin fustas-

Looks great-congrads

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

desert_forester

Ayer….yeah, the little one

I bought a Tepui Ayer last fall and we absolutely love it! Works great for overnights out in the desert, save a few bucks on motels and I can have it on or off in minutes with the use of a come-along, pulleys, etc under the carport. I added the anti condensation mat and have two hanging LED battery lights inside and one outside by the ladder. Still need a shoe shelf under the ladder, although, a plastic bag in the corner of the tent works fine too, keep it simple!

I added 1" velcro around the top rungs of the ladder, the ones not needed to keep them closed, this dramatically saves me frustration when opening closing the tent. I also added an aluminum plate (.040 x 6061) underneath the ladder for it to ride on when closed, 3M taped it to the floor. I have the materials to build a wind deflector for in front of the tent, should be done soon.

Here are a few pics, it is mounted on a Sub Forester with a 1" lift and skid plates.

Attachments

• P5020703.jpg
    P5020703.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 39
  • P1040237.jpg
    P1040237.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P5020704.jpg
    P5020704.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

grogie

Like to Camp
This last weekend... It was raining so much on Saturday that I bought a canopy to put over my trailer and the Tepui (plus it gave us room to sit under the canopy). I thought I might see an ark?!

vNYtjR.jpg

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Rockin' a Kukenam on the Jeep. Three seasons in and still hanging in there.

17a984ff239edcfb86ce13c413440333.jpg

Added quick release hitch pins, extruded square aluminum tubing load bars, and aluminum angle feet to make the task of mounting the tent a but easier. My MBRP roof rack doesn't leave much room to fiddle with wrenches (even the ratcheting variety) to tighten the mounting nuts that came with the tent.

bfd698e1897d7a06e59116d11469ab27.jpg

27b969e2a1391d4bafed5c20bcdcce15.jpg

b2290c10e5a640b550e9ffd4f7d510fe.jpg

Also made a lifting frame to aid in getting the tent onto the roof so it doesn't fall on my head...again when taking it off.

57bc7b0f77f647ddcc254ba2e1aab3ff.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven