Tepui Tent RTT

Box Rocket

I understand. It's important to know that condensation will occur no matter what especially in colder months. The key is to eliminate the contact the mattress has with the floor where the condensation collect. You'll have warm air inside the tent and cold air outside which is the perfect situation for condensation. The Tepui AC mat creates a barrier between the mattress and the floor so that the mattress is not sitting on the floor at all. One of the key differences in the Tepui mat and others out there is that other mats do not have "channels" for air to flow freely or if they do they are too restrictive.

Do what you think will work best for you. From my experience with the Tepui AC mats in my own tents I have not had a problem with condensation getting moisture onto the mattress like I did before without the mat. The Tepui mat is essentially the same thing as your design with the exception of the fan. But from my experience additional airflow from a fan hasn't been necessary, but I'm not in quite as moist a climate as you are in BC.

I don't know what you're design will add in terms of weight but that my be something to consider. More importantly is the thickness. If it's too thick you may not be able to zip the travel cover closed.

I'm sure you've seen it before but here are a couple photos of the Tepui AC mat. It keeps the mattress off the floor and the twisted webbing allows for good airflow underneath the entire mattress.

blkdvll

You guys should make a attachment to connect the awning to the tent. For either a rear tent opening with a 6ft awning, or a side tent opening with a rear facing 4ft awning.

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
The AC mat was some of the best money I've spent on my Autana.

But, I've found that, in my experience, the Tepui AC mat doesn't necessarily kept moisture away, just off of the bottom of mattress.

After a week @~7800', the interior floor was soaked with beaded-up water. The mattress was NEVER damp at any time. My aforementioned "ram air" solution on the way home cured it.

ETA: If there was a smart MFer that invented, say, a solar-powered fan / forced air gizmo the kept the water from condensing in the first place... THAT would have my attention.

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Prior to my Kukenam XL ruggedized, I had a Kukenam camo with no AC mat. I forgot how spoiled I am out west because, while there might be some condensation, it was never an issue and nothing a few minutes of pulling the mattress out didn't fix.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
"Winter camping"..."colder months" you are welcome to come down to our ranch during any Alberta winter to experience winter camping...I guarantee no condensation...perhaps some light icing...we'll keep you close to the house just in case...lol

Ok ok... "Winter Camping" in southern BC (coastal rainforest BC) is well, mildly cool compared to AB winter camping. It did get down to like +5 the last time out, brrrrrrisk indeed.

Box Rocket

The AC mat was some of the best money I've spent on my Autana.

But, I've found that, in my experience, the Tepui AC mat doesn't necessarily kept moisture away, just off of the bottom of mattress.

After a week @~7800', the interior floor was soaked with beaded-up water. The mattress was NEVER damp at any time. My aforementioned "ram air" solution on the way home cured it.

ETA: If there was a smart MFer that invented, say, a solar-powered fan / forced air gizmo the kept the water from condensing in the first place... THAT would have my attention.

You are correct that the mat doesn't keep condensation away. In certain climates it's just not possible to not have some condensation. The purpose of the mat is to keep it from collecting on the mattress. But the air flow does dramatically reduce the amount of moisture buildup.

Big mike

Adventurer
You should get ahold of Box Rocket he sells these tents and the way he di scribes them there pretty darn nice.
I am thinking about the gran sabana ruggedized with annex as a rtt for my jeep for a back up to my Eezi awn on the chaser.
He will take the time to explain every detail.
He sold me
GL
mike

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I thought everyone might like to see Tepui's new trailer RTT.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Found it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-Bivou...28955e5&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=281597676185

surferdude78

Observer
Cool!

My that's cute but I thought Tepui already came out with their own mini tent. Granted, it may not be as fancy a trailer but it looks more realistic like their Kukenam probably cheaper, too. Saw this on their Facebook page & wonder if they sell them since my grandkids would love one.

11800586_941312532599575_397883056985162114_n.jpg
11800270_941312692599559_3762494679658213742_n.jpg
11705095_941312719266223_7600280528662969365_n.jpg

paranoid56

Adventurer
just wanted to say thanks again for the great deal last year, still loving this tent :D
might have to pick up that matt, however dont get that much rain here lol
I_J-x-NZrbeckzRiB1ky4ZYBJRkjq7pPAFRgjXDsqdnd-OMg1vMTGU3rND3zAwLgpScxnCOEWsDXeLEjHU-2FQDaZqQDNYXDllynWqcjLcjItoe89QmQ66zITf7pXy93yVbNPfgPYwaxH_gwnpYs2EkcTosvZvTPK6odYrzgpKSJcG0oOZNH4Qhmk1L8hnSJattR-PW_p_OalBlhyjRbFWGse718eKTXBtq10OjpRnWHBEdpRR5xY4E21R32F_urWhjpVhhu_WJPsGtTWlmEAS207GwT7As7lc1JRpoUkC2Xv9Kh8-2BIXRANUJRfZUoNv6BRm7VYZcRacSAhJG4LrMDX5ZWSC7THgXH-wbS2nudHp5UCXvk4Pm75zrBTPysnRAjAcTE1ed_6mG2RzKVoRn2eO0nUz_7MhO4uh2sPm9SJyBSL5NEDHU1LltW1sMETGiZwoEz0mkng93BCXk9w5msttUIkt_wfOQ1Iaw7oLCGliLKRgMdH9JAPCZmjScttf7-r74c80Dv1zkustX9hM8bu-sKngaFHWbF6Hs=w1007-h755-no

Docbg

For those with the larger (200#) RTT, what is your opinion on the change in weight and stability of the vehicle with it on the roof and being

Box Rocket

I can definitely feel my tent on the roof of my Cruiser, but it doesn't feel at all unstable in most terrain. Only extreme off-camber situations make it feel a little sketchy but I've been amazed how well my truck has handled the weight of the tent.

Docbg

BoxRocket, is that the 200# version? Is there noticeable difference between 150 vs 200? Or just go as big as I can since I have 4 boys?

Box Rocket

I have both. I have a Kukenam XL Ruggedized (200 Lbs+) and I also have an Autana Ruggedized that is slightly less than 200lbs. I've had both on the Cruiser and neither one feels "unstable".

Docbg

Is the only difference between the different models the size? Is there a materials or build quality difference between them? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven