XD9
Sigma 9mm or 40
Ruger P95 9mm
Sig pro 9mm
Sig P6(used)
Smith K38(used) .38
RIA tactical .45
Bersa thunder .380

$450 is my upper price range, simply cuz I have to set the bar somewhere :elkgrin:, and don't really think its necessary to pay more then $500.00 smackers for a sidearm.

I have to say that part of me is trying to decide which is prettiest..haha!!:coffeedrink:

Melissa really likes the bersa, the XD-9, the 1911, and really digs Ruger revolvers, but they're a bit out of my price range.

I'm pretty committed to getting a quality gun, and honestly keep talking myself into and out of those three...

Anyone else shopping for anything?

I have to say a SAA in .357 crossed my mind, too. :) New vaquero, anyone? :D

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Another way I'm thinking about this, is who do I want to emulate when everyone's gone to sleep (and there's no-one to laugh at me).

Snap-caps in place, ammo locked up, as I break-in and burnish the internals through safe-direction dry-firing, I shall become:

1911 - The sergeant-major from "We were soldiers": "Prepare to defend yourselves"

Bersa - Bond from any of the connery,etc years: "Bond, James Bond"

SAA - Quigley down under: "I said I didn't have a use for them, not that I didn't know how to use them."

etc...

:D As you can tell, my search is very scientific...

7wt

Expedition Leader
What do you want it to do? What do you want to do with it? I love a nice SSA but not as a defense gun. As far a price limit goes, it should be in line with what you expect it to do. I am saving for a $3000 air rifle, it's more than what I want to spend but it's what it cost and I want it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I want it to hit what I'm shooting at when I pull the trigger.

I want it to do that every time, whether its a zombie, a perpatratorio, a rabbit, a rabid leprechaun, or a paper-man-shape.
:D

.380, 9mm, .40, and .45acp are all equally perfect and acceptable to me.

...as long as it doesn't make my butt look big.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Seems like there have been a lot of good deals floating around lately on Sig P6's. I am partial to Sigs in general, but I know not everyone likes the SA/DA trigger. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend you shoot one before taking the plunge if you decide to go in that direction.

MotoDave

Explorer
You can get a used Springfield Armory 1911 in that price range, which is hard to beat (for my taste, at least).

I just had 3 dot sights, a beavertail grip safety and commander hammer added to my SA GI model, and couldn't be happier with it for a relatively cheap gun.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
You can get a used Springfield Armory 1911 in that price range, which is hard to beat (for my taste, at least).

I just had 3 dot sights, a beavertail grip safety and commander hammer added to my SA GI model, and couldn't be happier with it for a relatively cheap gun.

yeah, the RIA tactical has the BT grip safety and commander hammer, as well as some snazzy sights. I don't think it has any MIM parts, either. Supposedly, it shares some high end parts with the likes of kimber and Ed brown, not sure which though. Maybe trigger parts?

I like the idea of being able to tinker with the 1911, as well as being able to buy a .22 conversion kit from kimber, etc., later, so the gun is able to run on more than just .45 ($$)

I also wouldn't mind reloading a round like .45. Seems worthwhile to me for some reason, more than the others.

In that train of thought, a 1911 would become as useful as a revolver than can use both .38 and .357, from a ammo availability standpoint. Run out of .45? Quick change over to .22 and pummel the zombie's to death.

Not to mention it's a great game-getter in a pinch. :coffee:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
What do you want it to do? What do you want to do with it? I love a nice SSA but not as a defense gun. As far a price limit goes, it should be in line with what you expect it to do. I am saving for a $3000 air rifle, it's more than what I want to spend but it's what it cost and I want it.

yeah, I like those.

Lichen

Explorer
I have 3 Ruger pistols and 2 Ruger rifles. But I'm really not too crazy about my P-series 9mm. It just seems kind of clunky and not nearly as fun or easy to shoot as my .40 Glocks.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I would recommend looking for a used Baretta 92. I have two, and they are fantastic firearms, and have been the standard equipped sidearm for our military for a while now...

I would also recommend sticking to 9mm. No ammo shortages, and it is an ammo that will always be relatively cheap, due to the quantity produced for the military.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have 3 Ruger pistols and 2 Ruger rifles. But I'm really not too crazy about my P-series 9mm. It just seems kind of clunky and not nearly as fun or easy to shoot as my .40 Glocks.

yup, can't beat the price of a p95, but I consistantly come away dissapointed whenever I handle or shoot it.

too bad.

Glocks don't feel right in my hand, though I know they're rock-solid performers...funny that XD's do, though. They're pretty much the same as far as ergonomics.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Me too. They just don't feel real I guess.

yeah, mel and I both like the feel of the all steel guns, but she also likes the ergonomics, warmth, and lighter weight of the XD.

I tend to agree. XD would be a solid, no-surprises type of gun. Definitely would be fun to get into some shooting events with this one.

As stupid as it sounds, though, I feel like I have less of an emotional/historical connection with the XD. I feel like when I pickup a 1911 or a SAA, I connect with American history, and even some of my family who were cowpokes or soldiers in the great wars...

And thats part of the fun for me, too. :chef:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
You might look at the EAA Witness in .45ACP.

I bought this gun when I was looking for a 1911, and have been very happy with it.

You can buy different uppers for it as well, and then you can shoot .22LR, .357Sig and .40 S&W I believe.

I bought mine new, and this would be at or above your limit, but they are available used for better prices.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have a Ruger P90 .45, and like the 1911, I consider it a real man's sidearm :D

Now that I've handled Glocks more I like them. Swiss watch reliable and super simple. My next pistol will be a Glock .40 because I have another gun that uses the same mags ;)

The XD? Ummm... I dont like the fact that it's a "Springfield Armory" that is made in Croatia... not that they dont make neat guns but I hate the watering down of an American icon. I've heard some negative reviews on these as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk