Texas to Alaska to Texas. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid driving on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway. July/August 2023.

FREE: America the Beautiful Park Pass. Expires 12/23

My pass expires 12/23. That is the end of this month. I am offering it COMPLETELY FREE to anybody who will genuinely use it. Please, take it only if you will honestly use it. I guess you can post some pics from your trip if you use it. That would be nice, but not a requirement to get the free park pass from me.

It is FREE to anybody who wants it. Just PM me. Send me your number so I can text you for your address.

I will pay for the shipping. It is totally free to you. You do not have to spend a dime to get it. My next day off from work is on Thursday. That is when I can ship it out to you. I hope it gets to you in time to use it.

I have never signed on it.

p756Blo.jpg

4CzaenJ.jpg

u6eMWCW.jpg

KpIfhie.jpg

Random Pictures from my trip out of the country...

I got to see an Arctic Truck at the Toyota dealership here in Douala, Cameroon. My first time seeing one in person and I was very impressed with the built. It looks and feels solid. A 2024 Toyota Hilux.
Price: 56,000,000 frs CFA = Approximately $92,000.

20240516-151237.jpg

20240516-151152.jpg

20240516-151110.jpg

20240516-151044.jpg

20240516-151028.jpg

20240516-151254.jpg

20240516-152215.jpg

20240516-152039.jpg

20240516-151644.jpg

Last edited:
Local Museum in Bandjoun.

We took a 6 hours drive with 2 vehicles to cover 140 miles one way to visit our village of Bandjoun. The roads are horrible, that is why it takes 6 hours to cover 140 miles. On top of that, they have radar detectors to get people and demand they pay 25,000 frs CFA (approximately $41) on the spot. This radar thing is honestly just a scam by these authorities. I paid it on the way to the village, driving my brother's wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. And on our way back, my brother had to pay in his Mercedes.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Unfortunately, I took the oil sample but I never shipped it out to Blackstone for a UOA. Just before I shipped it out, I went to the dealership and oh well, I left with a brand new car. I traded in my 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid base model for a 2024 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L. They gave me a good deal and I just decided to retire my 3 years old Accord Hybrid with 107,173 miles on it for a 2024 Accord Hybrid with zero miles on it.

Honestly, I felt bad trading in my 2020 Accord because it was paid for, in great shape and I have had amazing memories with it. But I bought this just because I felt it was a very good deal and it was a chance for me to dial back my odometer to zero. I plan to pay it off in 2 years or less. Also, the driver seat in this car is a lot more comfortable than my last one. The hybrid system in this one is also a bit more refined. So, I took the deal.

If you want to see the details of my purchase and how much I paid for it, you can click on the link below to read the first post on my blog on the Honda Accord forum.

Pya7wRV.jpg

EtJFvfB.jpg

cwZTHgY.jpg

rstSyIX.jpg

The good thing about this 2024 over the 2020 hybrid system is that with the 2024, when you are on the freeway doing speeds of 70 to 75 mph, the car cycles to EV mode saving you gas. The 2020 Honda Accord cannot get into EV mode with speeds of 70 to 75 mph. That helps on road trips where the speed limit is 70 or 75 mph.

I do like to hypermile and I must say that in city driving, this new car is showing a slight advantage over the last car in getting a bit more mpg. But they are honestly pretty close.

I am easily getting over 55mpg in the 2024 Accord Hybrid. Well, I could get that too with my 2020 Accord Hybrid.

I have compared both vehicles in a certain situation. In mixed city/highway driving, after 500 miles, I would be getting about 53 mpg with my 2020 Accord, but with my 2024 Accord so far, after the same mileage in city/highway driving, I am getting 60 mpg.
q8jECjV.jpg

Xu2I0hm.jpg

I do like my new 2024 Accord, and just like my 2020, I plan for my Accord to not have a reason to go to the dealership for any service for the next 3 to 5 years. I will do all my maintenance myself. This car is honestly almost maintenance free, so I will do all the regular maintenance and it will not see the dealership for the next 3 to 5 years for nothing whatsoever.
GREAT THREAD! A Star reference for a great trip.

As to your car being in very good condition, LOL, as far as you know it is, I don't think I'd want any car that shacked, rattled and rolled the Dempster or traversed the roads you used. Those had to be hard miles compared to the usual and customary life of an Accord from Houston.

GREAT THREAD! A Star reference for a great trip.

As to your car being in very good condition, LOL, as far as you know it is, I don't think I'd want any car that shacked, rattled and rolled the Dempster or traversed the roads you used. Those had to be hard miles compared to the usual and customary life of an Accord from Houston.
Thanks a lot for the compliment. I really enjoyed my trip very well last year. It was my most memorable trip till date.

But guess what? I never finished that trip and I felt sad. My sibling was visiting the US at that time so I had to cut my vacation short to rush home to spend a week with him before he went back home and I had to resume work.

Well, I need to finish this trip since I never did the Dempster Highway. I now have a new Accord and I am working on getting time off at work. Usually the logistics to get time off is not easy for me. if I am lucky and it gets approved, I am going to complete this journey by doing the Dempster Highway at the end of June 2024. That is next month.

I need to do the Dempster Highway in my 2024 Honda Accord. I will not start a new thread. I will just continue this thread. Well, that is if I am lucky to be able to get time off for vacation this June/July. I will be driving back to the Yukon to do the Dempster Highway and I will also go back into Alaska and tour a bit again.

If I get to do the Dempster, it would be at the end of June where sunlight stays out for 24 hours. I figured the best time to be on the road is the midnight hours. So, that is when I plan to do a lot of the driving on that road to increase my chances of seeing wild life.

Well, it is still all wishful thinking until it is confirmed that I will be off during that period.

But rest assured, if I get the green light to go, this Accord is going to get some hardcore beating on the Dempster Highway. I am buying my full size spare tire next weekend. I have already booked some hotels along the way. Just in case I get the green light.

Stay tuned.

Dave in AZ

Thanks a lot for the compliment. I really enjoyed my trip very well last year. It was my most memorable trip till date.

But guess what? I never finished that trip and I felt sad. My sibling was visiting the US at that time so I had to cut my vacation short to rush home to spend a week with him before he went back home and I had to resume work.

Well, I need to finish this trip since I never did the Dempster Highway. I now have a new Accord and I am working on getting time off at work. Usually the logistics to get time off is not easy for me. if I am lucky and it gets approved, I am going to complete this journey by doing the Dempster Highway at the end of June 2024. That is next month.

I need to do the Dempster Highway in my 2024 Honda Accord. I will not start a new thread. I will just continue this thread. Well, that is if I am lucky to be able to get time off for vacation this June/July. I will be driving back to the Yukon to do the Dempster Highway and I will also go back into Alaska and tour a bit again.

If I get to do the Dempster, it would be at the end of June where sunlight stays out for 24 hours. I figured the best time to be on the road is the midnight hours. So, that is when I plan to do a lot of the driving on that road to increase my chances of seeing wild life.

Well, it is still all wishful thinking until it is confirmed that I will be off during that period.

But rest assured, if I get the green light to go, this Accord is going to get some hardcore beating on the Dempster Highway. I am buying my full size spare tire next weekend. I have already booked some hotels along the way. Just in case I get the green light.

Stay tuned.
I look forward to hearing about this!

Today, I bought a full-size spare tire for my car in preparation for over 1,000 miles of hardcore dirt road at the end of June. I plan to drive the whole of the Dempster Highway in Canada throughout the night since the sun will be up for 24 hours. The risk of having a flat tire or a cracked windshield is over 50%. I now have 2 spare tires for the trip.

My car has 17 inch wheels and tires, but this spare is 18 inches.

This spare should work if I have a flat tire and end up driving with 3 tires that are 17 inches and 1 tire that is 18 inches. This is a brand new rim and tire that, unfortunately, has rashes. But it should work for what it is intended for.

Well, the trip is not yet guaranteed to happen but I am keeping my fingers crossed for things to align for this trip to happen.

B4K4JcI.jpeg

n5WLqbl.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle