The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

bugnout

Adventurer
Absolutely... I would have bought a Wrangler if it had the CRD.

So few choices in the market for diesel vehicles.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Seriously, the diesel really went into some of the lamest jeeps ever made.

The wk is really ugly, and the kj is even worse.

(Sorry to the owners of these, I'm just not a fan.)

The diesel in my WK makes up for the ugliness....:sombrero:

chrismc

Adventurer
Absolutely... I would have bought a Wrangler if it had the CRD.

So few choices in the market for diesel vehicles.

Ditto. I bought a KJ CRD because there was no TJ CRD. I traded my TJ Rubicon for it, even. That 13 mpg in the Rubi was killing me.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
This thread intrigues me, I think jeep COULD bring a diesel wrangle to market and people WOULD buy enough of them to be worth it. But what else is involved in a diesel under current EPA standards? Urea injection into the exhaust system, particle filter, ect...I can see a down side. Have you seen the exhaust on the new super duty powerstroke vs the 6.2l gas version? The diesel exhaust looks like something out of star wars, or nasa! Heat shielding everywhere because the urea makes that tail pipe hot, like burning charcoal in a blown furnace. Anyone more knowledgeable then me know if this would effect ground clearance, or space, or suspension parts under the vehicle?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There are some EPA factors that deal with how many vehicles and of what kind a company can produce for diesel emissions.

VW meets current diesel emissions without fluid after-treatment. I don't know if this is because it is a lighter vehicle and falls on a different table for emissions, or they are just that good. They do use a particulate filter.

The Euro V wrangler didn't look that much more complicated or busy on the underside. It has a diesel particulate filter. Supposedly it doesn't meet USA diesel emissions for its 'class'

The Euro VI version of the jeep engine coming in a few years is suppose to meet USA diesel emission for its class. It was rumored at EJS that this would require a fluid after-treatment.

For me....I am thinking about the 2.8 CRD from a Liberty in an LJ again :)

Reichy

Making our opinion known?

How would one effectively convey public desire for a diesel Wrangler to corporate?
R

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Welcome Reichy, I think most can assure you that the desire for diesel has well been conveyed. Sorry, but until someone with some cohones gets into proper Jeep executive management, you'll get gasser V6s for the foreseeable future. I'll be one of the first to reward said risk with a purchase. This applies to Toyota too who either A) have to be so biased and/or B) so bought-off on gasoline as the market.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
i gave Jeep an earful at EJS. The response was 'we are working on it'.

If I had to guess. I would say that maybe we get the new 3.0 liter VM/Fiat diesel in 2013-2014 IF fuel prices get up to about $4.50 for gasoline.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
How would one effectively convey public desire for a diesel Wrangler to corporate?
R

If there is no announcement by the end of May, I'll be doing something big about this. :)
There will be a post here about it when & if it happens.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If I had to guess. I would say that maybe we get the new 3.0 liter VM/Fiat diesel in 2013-2014 IF fuel prices get up to about $4.50 for gasoline.

I agree.
Fingers crossed they can tweak 30mpg out of the Unlimited, and I'll be the first in line to buy.

-Dan

srmitchell

Observer
i gave Jeep an earful at EJS. The response was 'we are working on it'.

If? I've been paying $4.49 for a month!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp