The Arizona Strip, May 9-15 2009

xpdishn

Adventurer
Ed,
It was a Big Agness 4 from REI. It was great, room enough for us and the dog also. Without the rain fly, you have a great view of the night sky.

flamewerks

Wow! Absolutely incredible trip, and the pics are great. Put a smile on my face when I saw the camping chairs overlooking the canyon, truly once in a lifetime! Well done:)

xpdishn

Adventurer
Looking to make this trip this year. But only for a 3 night stay at SB Point or Kanab Point. Do I need to get permits??? Are thier reservations needed for campsite?

Thanks for your help....

Howdy--Paula here....both Gary and I called the NPS prior to leaving to ask if we needed back country permits and where (if) we could camp. We were both told that permits were not needed in the area we were planning to go and that we could camp anyplace that had an existing fire ring.
That has changed since then......we recently found out that there is no camping at SB point (what a bummer--but I'm SO happy that we were able to camp there because it was truly my favorite spot of the whole canyon).
So--my recommendation is that anyone planning a trip find out first from NPS what they now require........also, there is a new BLM strip map dated 2010 which shows only the roads they now have open. If you order the Arizona Strip map be sure you specify the 2010 edition. We did not see any fire rings at Kanab Point, that was the reason we didn't stay for the night. Have a great trip...anywhere you can camp on the North Rim of the canyon is bound to amaze you!

Spitfire

Great thread and wonderful pictures! I am headed out to do a more tame exploration of the strip and this thread and the others mentioned were good starting points for planning. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.

I took my California wife to the South rim last year on our annual SW wanderings. This should trip offer an amazing and different perspective of the remote Grand Canyon wilderness.

I will post a report and some pictures upon return.

Dodgerfan

Route info

I would be very interested in the GPX files or any other detailed route info. The route finding and planning are part of the adventure but knowing you won't run out of fuel chasing a road to nowhere would help pacify my wife...

Thank you for your trip report also. Very motivating!

xpdishn

Adventurer
Great thread and wonderful pictures! I am headed out to do a more tame exploration of the strip and this thread and the others mentioned were good starting points for planning. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.

I took my California wife to the South rim last year on our annual SW wanderings. This should trip offer an amazing and different perspective of the remote Grand Canyon wilderness.

I will post a report and some pictures upon return.

I would be very interested in the GPX files or any other detailed route info. The route finding and planning are part of the adventure but knowing you won't run out of fuel chasing a road to nowhere would help pacify my wife...

Thank you for your trip report also. Very motivating!

PM sent to both of you. Hope the info helps. I do not have full gpx coords for all of it.

JohnnyS

Explorer
We are planning a 5 day Arizona Strip trip for the middle of April.
After looking at your pictures again I'm thinking about waiting until May for the bloom...
Weather input?
Thanks!!

xpdishn

Adventurer
We are planning a 5 day Arizona Strip trip for the middle of April.
After looking at your pictures again I'm thinking about waiting until May for the bloom...
Weather input?
Thanks!!

IMHO, May would be better, but who knows what this winter holds. By May the roads would probably be dry for better travel.
As I said in the thread, we had extremely good weather with the temps being just right and more importantly, no winds. We want to go back and do it again and take even more time. There's so many more roads to take out there.

Post up your trip, Thanks,

mbybee

I'm definitely considering this trip - but I'll have to carry quite a bit of spare fuel :D

Thanks for sharing!

bgs

Thanks for posting this expdishn, I am planning a similar trip in a few weeks.

Would you still have the gps file for this trip, if so, could you kindly share it with me?

Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77