The Baja Bus 1994 FZJ80 Build

krazytoy

Adventurer
It turns out that the exhaust shop mixed up the o2 sensor plugs. I switched them this afternoon and after about 10 miles the CEL turned off! I love it when it's a simple fix and my thanks to IH8MUD for making that recommendation. The cruiser has definitely improved in the performance area and I can't wait till the new bumpers and goodies go on. I am starting to understand this addiction to the 80's.

Sempertoy

Explorer
glad to hear it was a simple fix. I blame for for the fact that I pulled my rack today with no supplies handy. Now I just have some duct tape squares up there until this weekend, luckily in Sunny San Diego we shouldn't have rain.

How are you liking the sound of your new exhaust? Post up a video of how it sounds!

Jon

p.s. as a side note, When I put in low grade gasoline from base I often get a CEL light pop up. A tank of chevron premium usually clears it up. I know it had nothing to do with your case, but just something for your toolbox.

krazytoy

Adventurer
How are you liking the sound of your new exhaust? Post up a video of how it sounds!

Let me finish it before I report on how it sounds. We stopped it just after the muffler until the rear bumper is built. It is way too loud now, but that is because it is just rumbling around in the cab. How did the screws on the rack come out?

Sempertoy

Explorer
Let me finish it before I report on how it sounds. We stopped it just after the muffler until the rear bumper is built. It is way too loud now, but that is because it is just rumbling around in the cab. How did the screws on the rack come out?

How did they come out you ask? Well 4 did and 4 didn't. The short ones came right out but the long ones were just spinning the nutserts. I gave up trying to salvage the rack, cut the boots and then hack sawed/ filed the bolts.

I am thinking since I can't put screws back in 4 of the holes I am going to get some JB weld and cover the holes, and then durabak the worn surfaces.

Now I am faced with the decision of leaving the rear spoiler on or taking it off. I like it because it keeps the rear window cleared but now it looks funky with no rack. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347561117.612813.jpg

krazytoy

Adventurer
Leave the spoiler mine came with no rack and has it and I dont think it looks funny at all.

I agree, I figure I will make the decision on the spoiler after the roof rack is on. I kinda like the way it looks, plus with all the horse-power I need the added down force. Hahahaha :bike_rider:

krazytoy

Adventurer
Being that the Cruiser is going in for everything on Monday I wanted to weigh it before and after. As it sits right now it is missing the front bumper, rear bumper, factory running boards, spare tire & xmember, tow hitch and the roof rack. She weighed in at 5040 pounds with 1/2 tank of fuel and about 100 pounds worth of tools on the back. It was 2660 in the front and 2380 in the back. Going to be interesting to see what it is when I'm done. We will see soon enough.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Being that the Cruiser is going in for everything on Monday I wanted to weigh it before and after. As it sits right now it is missing the front bumper, rear bumper, factory running boards, spare tire & xmember, tow hitch and the roof rack. She weighed in at 5040 pounds with 1/2 tank of fuel and about 100 pounds worth of tools on the back. It was 2660 in the front and 2380 in the back. Going to be interesting to see what it is when I'm done. We will see soon enough.

It is a heavy bus that is for sure!

The Taco was right around 5,000lbs without any gear in it. That was just to much IMHO for the Taco's frame, transmission, axles and so forth. The 80-series frame is much much stronger and more buff. Which is why I am using one in my project.

All around the 80 can handle the weight so it is a good base for a big heavy truck build. I like weighing my trucks too so will be interested to see where you end up after bar work, ect.

Cheers

krazytoy

Adventurer
Yesterday my son and I made it out to St. Anthony sand dunes for the day. It was a nice day and the big bus does pretty good. It's not going to win any races, but she sure is comfortable.

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

Bottom of Choke Cherry Hill
IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

I was trying to get artsy with the dead tree...
IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
Looks fun. I would be interested in seeing a little more on how you bent the lines for the AC dryer. What bumper are you planning on mounting up there that would necessitate the move?

krazytoy

Adventurer
Looks fun. I would be interested in seeing a little more on how you bent the lines for the AC dryer. What bumper are you planning on mounting up there that would necessitate the move?

I bent the lines for the dryer very carefully. I grabbed a cold one, unbolted it and started to bend it. I took my time and made sure I was not kinking the line anywhere. When I got it where I wanted it I put the self-tappers in.
It will be a high clearance bumper on the sides or "wings", not really sure how it is going to turn out. I gave Steve at CBI pretty much full reign on what he wanted to do, I trust him and know he will do a good job. I moved the dryer because it hangs down so low and I would worry about tearing it off on a rock or something.
Stay tuned, it is at the shop for the bumpers and all right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach